Animal rights groups demand the ouster of Livestock chief over rabies spread

webfact

Animal rights groups demand the ouster of Livestock chief over rabies spread

By Thai PBS

rally.jpg

Anti-corruption and animal rights activists rallied in front of the Livestock Development Department (LDD) on Tuesday (April 24) to demand the ouster of the department chief for their alleged failure to contain rabies and for their alleged lack of transparency in the procurement of anti-rabies vaccine.

Atchariya Ruangrattanapong, leader of the grouping to assist crime victims, blamed LDD director-general Apai Suttisunk for the death of seven people from rabies.  

The group also called on the LDD to stop mass killing of dogs as a mean to contain rabies outbreak.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/animal-rights-groups-demand-ouster-livestock-chief-rabies-spread/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-24

way past time they cleaned up the stray dog population in Thailand, I have always had dogs but they are taken care of, not left to roam the streets attacking people and other dogs/animals especially in a country that has rabies. Leaving strays on the streets is madness and just asking for trouble as seen with this rabies out break

So, there is a big problem that rabies is spreading among all these dogs that noone take responsibility for running around all over the place and these idiots don't like the solutions... here are some of my ideas:

1. Cull all dogs that people do not claim ownership over.

2. Have the owners pay for rabies vaccination of all the dogs that they claim are theirs.

3. Enforce penalties for owners that mistreat their dogs.

4. If a dog is let to run freely, then the owner is responsible for any damages that their dogs causes (if someone die from falling of their motorcycle after hitting a dog running loose in the street should lead to a manslaughter charge for the owner of the dog...).  

As I said, just some of my ideas...

10 hours ago, smedly said:

people shouldn't have to protest, there are very obvious irregularities and failures that need to be investigated and punnished

Thai civil servants are never punished, they just go on gardening leave (inactive post) for a short time until the dust blows over after which they return to their normal jobs. Probably with a pay increase for the inconvenience.

I find it unbelievable that Thatland has a rabies problem but understandable with the enormous number of unleashed dogs everywhere. Simply make it illegal for any dog to be outside their owner's property if not on a leash and if they are not leashed simply lock the dog in a dog centre and if not claimed within 36 hours by an owner, destroy them. Most other civilised countries have this method of controlling the threat of unleashed dogs and rabies is virtually unknownmm.

Archived