Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’

webfact

Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’

By Watcharapong Jingkhaojai 
The Nation

7bcdf09864b818bf65f55c65ff0c5c00.jpeg

A Chiang Mai woman who spent two nights in intensive care following a severe allergic reaction to medication is now sporting a truly life-saving tattoo on her upper arm – an English-language list of medicines to which she reacts badly, along with symptoms to watch for.

Siri-on Kasuya, 32, of Hang Dong district also has an illustration of the Bowl of Hygieia, a pharmacy symbol, on her arm, to alert doctors in case of emergency.

Siri-on’s medicinal allergies led to a life-threatening situation last October and she doesn’t want to risk a recurrence, even if the tattoo draws stares in the street and photos of them circulate on the social media, where some people wondered if they were magical talismans.

“If anything happened to me and I were unconscious and unable to give information, a doctor can see from my arm tattoo the list of medicines I’m allergic to and treat me accordingly,” she said.

“I regard this tattoo as my own talisman for protection.”

Saying that carrying a warning card in her purse, as allergy sufferers often do, might not be enough, Siri-on said she admired friends’ tattoos and decided to go with something more practical – and perhaps even life-saving.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343834

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-24

16 minutes ago, thhMan said:

You could also have a card in your wallet to do the same thing and its a good chance, someone will go through it

"Saying that carrying a warning card in her purse, as allergy sufferers often do, might not be enough, 

Never heard of just getting a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace? Medical personel look for these id's first. I as a fully trained Medic, would not be reading anybodies tatoos while looking for veins or administering CPR.

I use one in case I can't speak in an emergency.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“If anything happened to me and I were unconscious and unable to give information, a doctor can see from my arm tattoo the list of medicines I’m allergic to and treat me accordingly,” she said

Today its readable yes, But in five years that tattoo will be a blurry mess.

8 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Great, as the Thai doctors cannot read an English word....

Doctors in Thailand is very good at English, even if you go to the small little clinic in the middle of nowhere. If anyone has ever met a Dr. that can not read or speak English in Thailand, please let me know... 

2 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Doctors in Thailand is very good at English, even if you go to the small little clinic in the middle of nowhere. If anyone has ever met a Dr. that can not read or speak English in Thailand, please let me know... 

I don't think the witch doctor in my villid can speak English.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:00 AM, Inepto Cracy said:

Never heard of just getting a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace? Medical personel look for these id's first. I as a fully trained Medic, would not be reading anybodies tatoos while looking for veins or administering CPR.

I use one in case I can't speak in an emergency.

We're lucky to have a practicing Thai paramedic on this thread. How often do you encounter bracelets here? Unless of course you mean you were trained and you practiced in another country, with different training, systems, population etc., in which case your comment may not be relevant.

20 hours ago, Puwa said:

We're lucky to have a practicing Thai paramedic on this thread. How often do you encounter bracelets here? Unless of course you mean you were trained and you practiced in another country, with different training, systems, population etc., in which case your comment may not be relevant.

Alas my story was a little more serious. I was " killed" after suffering  a big heartattack at Tesco Lotus in 2008.

You are quite right, they dont read English here, not even on my Medic Alert. What I did was have my details written in Thai with my hospital number, on my wrist in a red band from the hospital. This is worn all the time.

I can tell you now that most Dr's, ambulance crew know me and my medical history.

Be known where you live, I live on an Island.

Having a bracelet, disc or an armband, this can save your life in an emergency.

Medics, paramedics and doctors cant smell your information or background medical information, in the heat of pulling your soul back into your living earthly body.

We can perform the lmpossible in an instant, but Miracles take a bit longer.

Please help rescuers keep you alive.

P.S. I am no longer a practising Medic, as I do not think as a guava, farang,  that I would not be held acountable for the accident nor injuries sustained. I very very unfortunately have had to surrender to the walk away policy that the thai folks have placed on us helpers....look and walk away.

Sick sick sick society we live in, when it comes to caring and compassion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived