Central Group plans Thailand's largest outlet mall

snoop1130

Central Group plans Thailand's largest outlet mall

YUKAKO ONO, Nikkei staff writer

fgrtgh.JPG

A Buddhist statue in front of the Central World shopping mall in Bangkok being cleaned. The Central Group owns a large portfolio of retailers.

BANGKOK -- Thai retail conglomerate Central Group will build the country's largest outlet mall near Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport with an eye on the influx of tourists and the rise of the local middle-income consumers.

The 160,000 sq.-m complex, named Central Village, will house over 235 shops selling discounted branded goods and a 200-room hotel, Central Pattana, the group's listed developing arm, announced on Tuesday.

The complex will open in the third quarter of 2019 and investment will reach 5 billion baht ($160 million).

The company claims that Central Village will be the first outlet mall in the country to focus on high-end international brands, although it did not reveal which. It said that the goods will be sold at 35-70% discounts to normal retail prices.

Full Story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Central-Group-plans-to-launch-Thailands-largest-outlet-mall

Exactly what Thailand needs, Bangkok more than the rest: yet another shopping mall...

Must admire the (erm) 'creativity' of these Thai (a little bit) - Chinese (a lot) wealthy families... Never heard of market saturation, dividing the pie in more, smaller parts. Probably set up at that location with the aim of bringing down the next mall, belonging to a rival family...

The same 'mental' as less well-off Thai-Chinese, born 'copycats' too, bringing us, ten different shops selling the same quality(?!) suitcases, or jeans, or tee-shirts, or artifacts, on a stretch of 100m. of street, one side, the other one identical...

Or the proliferation of (franchised) 7-Elevens and Family Marts where we live: 4 to 10 of the 24/7 outlets within 1 km. in the populated areas...

13 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Great, should ease off congestion at Mega during the weekends.

Last time I was at Mega, that was a Sunday early March, there was no congestion at Mega.

In fact when I arrived, over Sukhumvit coming from Chonburi around 1pm, there wasn't even a queue to enter the parking lot and plenty of free parking space.

Never seen this before on my trips to Mega, which are always on Sundays.

No doubt Central has its eye on the huge number of Thais who travel all over the region to shop in other countries (Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, ect.).

Retail prices for foreign luxury goods in Thailand are abhorrent. Usually, you get a 2 years old item for 200% retail. In other countries, the item would be 50% retail or less. 

4 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

That's a Buddhist statue?

No, it's a gross looking bust of the Buddha. Perhaps designed by someone from the art department of Central Group.

That has to be the worst rendering of Lord Buddha I have ever seen. Looks more like a surprised katoey sans wig.

No, it's a gross looking bust of the Buddha. Perhaps designed by someone from the art department of Central Group.

That has to be the worst rendering of Lord Buddha I have ever seen. Looks more like a surprised katoey sans wig.
Why is there no big ho-har about this particular "Buddha head" statue but there is if someone puts them on his garden wall ?

Last time I was at Mega, that was a Sunday early March, there was no congestion at Mega.

In fact when I arrived, over Sukhumvit coming from Chonburi around 1pm, there wasn't even a queue to enter the parking lot and plenty of free parking space.

Never seen this before on my trips to Mega, which are always on Sundays.
Try heading over during end of month after everyone gets their salary.

Anyway, the opening of new Ikea in Nonthaburi and car park expansion did help to ease of congestion at Mega.

Just now, johng said:
27 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Why is there no big ho-har about this particular "Buddha head" statue but there is if someone puts them on his garden wall ?

Why do you think there should be a hoo ha over this Buddha bust? I merely commented on its ugliness in comparison to the more traditional renderings.

You can put a Buddha bust/statue in/on  your garden wall if you wish, as long as it is at a suitable height from the ground . 

17 minutes ago, johng said:
43 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Thank you for posting the link to that story that illustrates the sheer hypocrisy shown when dealing with Buddhism and in fact most religions.

Maybe the American expat in CM should open a small museum to house his impressive little collection?

58 minutes ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Farang?

58 minutes ago, johng said:

On 2018-04-24 at 8:55 AM, bangrak said:

Exactly what Thailand needs, Bangkok more than the rest: yet another shopping mall...

Must admire the (erm) 'creativity' of these Thai (a little bit) - Chinese (a lot) wealthy families... Never heard of market saturation, dividing the pie in more, smaller parts. Probably set up at that location with the aim of bringing down the next mall, belonging to a rival family...

The same 'mental' as less well-off Thai-Chinese, born 'copycats' too, bringing us, ten different shops selling the same quality(?!) suitcases, or jeans, or tee-shirts, or artifacts, on a stretch of 100m. of street, one side, the other one identical...

Or the proliferation of (franchised) 7-Elevens and Family Marts where we live: 4 to 10 of the 24/7 outlets within 1 km. in the populated areas...

Chinese zero $$ buses just shortened the journey so their clients don't get distracted spending money with local Thai vendors?

Archived