Thaivisa warning: Look away now if you don't want to see what happened to a motorcyclist in Phuket

snoop1130

Thaivisa warning: Look away now if you don't want to see what happened to a motorcyclist in Phuket

Untitled.png

Gruesome pictures from Phuket showed the aftermath of a collision between a female motorcyclist and the rear of a pick-up truck.

The woman was impaled on the back bumper suffering a severe injury to her left leg and losing a lot of blood.

Rescue organisations used cutting equipment to get her free then she was rushed to Vachira Hospital Phuket.

These brief details of the accident were reported on the "Voice of the Phuket People" on Facebook. 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/556389294493796/permalink/1344916338974417/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-4-24

Untitled-1.png

Untitled.png

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another tourist renting and riding a motorbike without any experience, licence, or insurance, and the photographs appear to suggest she was not wearing a helmet nor appropriate gear for riding a motorcycle?  If so, there is a steady and constant stream of these stories that never seem to end.  Such people bring such events into their own lives then often ask for assistance from the general public because they express the fact they do not have funds available to pay their medical bills. I have never read that anybody has been paid back after making such contributions.  Does it happen, or are the donors so altruistic that they would respond to the next request without taking into account the ridiculous circumstances that lead to the problem?  After nearly 60 years of riding bikes, without any serious problems, I never offer any contributions to these causes as the person responsible should have taken all factors into consideration before throwing a leg over the bike.

Actually, the people I feel sorriest for are those who have to attend such events.  Regardless of what many say about Thailand, these people are usually well trained and do a good job with the limited equipment available to them compared to what we have in most western countries.

19 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Another tourist renting and riding a motorbike without any experience, licence, or insurance, and the photographs appear to suggest she was not wearing a helmet nor appropriate gear for riding a motorcycle?  If so, there is a steady and constant stream of these stories that never seem to end.  Such people bring such events into their own lives then often ask for assistance from the general public because they express the fact they do not have funds available to pay their medical bills. I have never read that anybody has been paid back after making such contributions.  Does it happen, or are the donors so altruistic that they would respond to the next request without taking into account the ridiculous circumstances that lead to the problem?  After nearly 60 years of riding bikes, without any serious problems, I never offer any contributions to these causes as the person responsible should have taken all factors into consideration before throwing a leg over the bike.

Actually, the people I feel sorriest for are those who have to attend such events.  Regardless of what many say about Thailand, these people are usually well trained and do a good job with the limited equipment available to them compared to what we have in most western countries.

Couldn't you be jumping to conclusions a bit?

How do you know she has no experience or licence or insurance?

Maybe she lives there and has health insurance?

Of course she maybe a tourist but nevertheless very sad I hope she makes a good recovery although sadly I don't know about the leg.

I think she has a "England" wrist band on.

:sad:

10 minutes ago, davethailand said:

Of course she maybe a tourist but nevertheless very sad I hope she makes a good recovery although sadly I don't know about the leg.

:(

Agreed,, but I get the impression motor cycles inthailand are for the cheapcharlies with the inevitable conclusions. That includes farm hands to expats.

9 minutes ago, DipStick said:

Agreed,, but I get the impression motor cycles inthailand are for the cheapcharlies with the inevitable conclusions. That includes farm hands to expats.

I've still got one out there lol.

Perfect for getting about on.

:)

I hope they can save her leg.

The news is so scarce. I think it's useless to speculate.

15 minutes ago, DipStick said:

You love generalization.

Now I wait for comments from the bike enthusiasts in the forum :biggrin:

Also many expats in regions like Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok or wherever the gridlock is, will use a motorcycle just to get through while their six cylinder rests in the garage.

At the times when I drove to Pattaya by car I rarely used it in the city.

Most of the time on the hotel parking lot.

Rent me a bike because it's more fun than fighting through the jams.

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You love generalization.

Also many expats in regions like Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok or wherever the gridlock is, will use a motorcycle just to get through while their six cylinder rests in the garage.

I was going to give him some ear ache but he's just a dip stick.ill let someone do it for me.

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You love generalization.

Agreed.

I did have a couple of cars and a HD also.

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

I wouldn't recommend bragging about your motorcycle riding skills. Accidents can happen to the best riders. BTW, what does "without any serious problems" mean? ... also, at an advanced age the reflexes slow down, so the chances of an accident start to increase. Maybe you should get off the bikes now and keep your unblemished record.

I went past this accident not long after it happened. Fortunately emergency vehicles stopped me getting the full picture. 

I believe the victim was a Thai lady, not a tourist nor a hero expat bike rider.

Looking at the pics the crappy old pickup had a homemade bumper made of a solid piece of steel.

The extent of the injury can be blamed on this modification.

3 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

After nearly 60 years of riding bikes, without any serious problems, I never offer any contributions to these causes as the person responsible should have taken all factors into consideration before throwing a leg over the bike.

dumb stuff, or you are a sunday driver.

for the most part, accidents are just too dependent on the other driver

to be avoidable

7 hours ago, davethailand said:

:sad:

He is not jumping to conclusions. Just stating what many times are a facts. Never wrote anything about that this case was exactly as the circumstances stated.
Regardless of if she have an insurance or not, it´s pure madness to drive in to the rear of a pick up or any other veichle. As you clearly can see, she is not wearing appropriate gear for riding a motorcycle. When you ride a motorbike in a foreign country, you will need to have experience and really look out for yourself, which lokks like she didn´t do at all.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

He is not jumping to conclusions. Just stating what many times are a facts. Never wrote anything about that this case was exactly as the circumstances stated.
Regardless of if she have an insurance or not, it´s pure madness to drive in to the rear of a pick up or any other veichle. As you clearly can see, she is not wearing appropriate gear for riding a motorcycle. When you ride a motorbike in a foreign country, you will need to have experience and really look out for yourself, which lokks like she didn´t do at all.

"Just stating what many times are a facts. Never wrote anything about that this case was exactly as the circumstances stated."

You don't have to state your comment relaters to the case you're commenting on, that is the way normal people operate.

And gear, you want people to start wearing protective racing overalls while riding a scooter? Yes, helmet makes sense.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

I don't suppose she actually meant to drive into the back of the pick up!

When you ride a motorbike in a foreign country, you will need to have experience and really look out for yourself, which lokks like she didn´t do at all.

I never thought of that.

Good board name btw.

:smile:

16 minutes ago, davethailand said:

I don't suppose she actually meant to drive into the back of the pick up!

I never thought of that.

Good board name btw.

:smile:

Doesn´t matter if she meant to drive into the back of the pick up. Still same ignorant and stupid.

Just now, Get Real said:

Doesn´t matter if she meant to drive into the back of the pick up. Still same ignorant and stupid.

Same as your post then?

God forbid anyone you know ever suffers the same fate. There is nothing as yet to show that she was the cause of this.

I find it quite impossible that someone drives into a stationary vehicle, but it does seem to happen quite often here in Thailand. 

I am wondering if the Pickup was not 'reversing' out into the traffic, or whether the rear of the pickup was sticking out into traffic while parked nose in, perpendicular to the main road. 

With regards to one comment regarding riding gear: What 'Riding' gear would he [Get Real] expect everyone to wear in Thailand?

I use a motorcycle to avoid traffic and wear a full face helmet, protective mesh jacket and gloves, always wear shoes (trainers)... but I don't put on protective trousers which would take more time.

Obviously this accident makes me consider whether I should in-fact wear protective trousers, but then the discomfort in the heat, the extra time it would take to get ready when nipping out makes me think I would just take the car, deal with the traffic and sit in the comfort of Air-con instead.... 

1 minute ago, davethailand said:

Same as your post then?

God forbid anyone you know ever suffers the same fate. There is nothing as yet to show that she was the cause of this.

If they or I have the same fate, then it´s still same stupid too. That was not a relevant statement.

Nothing yet to show she was the cause??? If you go by normal standards, in your own country or if any country, then there is only one way that she can miss out on beeing the cause.
That is if the pick up was driving backwards in about 50 km per hour. Maybe you find that possible, I don´t!

45 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Just stating what many times are a facts. Never wrote anything about that this case was exactly as the circumstances stated."

You don't have to state your comment relaters to the case you're commenting on, that is the way normal people operate.

And gear, you want people to start wearing protective racing overalls while riding a scooter? Yes, helmet makes sense.

Can we take that a little bit slower, please? What did you just try to write?

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If they or I have the syou ame fate, then it´s still same stupid too. That was not a relevant statement.

Nothing yet to show she was the cause??? If you go by normal standards, in your own country or if any country, then there is only one way that she can miss out on beeing the cause.
That is if the pick up was driving backwards in about 50 km per hour. Maybe you find that possible, I don´t!

Have you actually ridden or drove in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, davethailand said:

You've been very fortunate.

Nope! I have been looking out for myself and for others in traffic. I have been using my knowledge of driving and senible speed. To me it´s not about how quick I will arrive. I has to do with that I will arrive.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

When you ride a motorbike in a foreign country, you will need to have experience and really look out for yourself, which lokks like she didn´t do at all.

She is not riding a motorbike in a foreign country she is riding it in her home country...

2 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

She is not riding a motorbike in a foreign country she is riding it in her home country...

Whatever. That´s not the point. The point is driving into the back of a car and beeing impaled. Should almost have a job as a driving instructor.

By the way, don´t get more confused know. Try some honey coated rice crispies instead. Heard they can make wonders. :smile:

Archived