Foreign cyclist found dead at Pattaya reservoir

webfact

Foreign cyclist found dead at Pattaya reservoir

1pm.jpg

Nong Preu police were called to the Map Prachan Reservoir yesterday morning after the discovery of the body of a foreign national.

A driving license showed that the deceased was the body of 61 year old Richard Walter Moll. No nationality was indicated.

There were no signs of foul play or injuries to the body that was dressed in bicycle riding gear. There was money in the wallet.

Nearby police found his bicycle and a pair of shoes.

Initially police suspect that the victim passed out and rolled down the slope to where he was found but an autopsy is taking place at the Police Hospital.

A Thai man called "Wiwat Chintawan" went on Facebook to say "RIP" and that the man was the father of his wife.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-25

Yeah, RIP to the man and his family, as according to respect.

However, to me it looks like the police might be right. He just passed out. Right after the he took off his shoes and throwed his bicycle in the rice field.

The last thing he did, was turning around to see that he actually landed on a massive stone area, so he was sure to never wake up again.

Living in that area as I do, I see many cyclists and it is not so strange that one would have an accident or suffer a stroke in the heat of the last few days and not sure why so many would cynically look for foul play and play detective in this case. RIP to the man.

2 hours ago, Bangna Betty said:

Accident or hit and run?  Very sad. Take care everyone if you are out on the roads. 

Can't read?...

"There were no signs of foul play or injuries to the body that was dressed in bicycle riding gear. There was money in the wallet.

Nearby police found his bicycle and a pair of shoes.

Initially police suspect that the victim passed out and rolled down the slope to where he was found but an autopsy is taking place at the Police Hospital".

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

there was money in his wallet....WELL that would soon be gone !!

But how do they know none was missing ? A thief  ( possibly police officer ) could have taken a lot but left some to let people believe robbery was not a motive 

If you look at the bike, it's obvious that it wasn't hit by a vehicle. If it was it would show some damage. Thats not say that a passing vehcile came too close and the man panicked and went off the road. Or he could have had a medical issue. 

RIP. I'm a cycler and love it but I stopped riding on Thai roads. It's just too dangerous. 

1 hour ago, johncat1 said:

But how do they know none was missing ? A thief  ( possibly police officer ) could have taken a lot but left some to let people believe robbery was not a motive 

From experience i can tell you take a minimum of money with you when cycling; maybe some for drinks or to pay a repair shop when you run into trouble. 

If you bring a bunch of banknotes you probably end up drying them in the sun after returning home. Even in a wallet.

The picture does not show the shoes.

But if they are the kind that have a toe that locks into the pedals,

I have to say they are very dangerous in the kind of traffic we have in this part of the world.

Rest In Peace

There's really nothing unusual of his shoes being off . My guess is he was struck by something . More often than not a person being struck will be found quite a far distance from there shoes .  I ve see people that have come out of fully laced and tied boots in accidents . 

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yeah, RIP to the man and his family, as according to respect.

However, to me it looks like the police might be right. He just passed out. Right after the he took off his shoes and throwed his bicycle in the rice field.

The last thing he did, was turning around to see that he actually landed on a massive stone area, so he was sure to never wake up again.

I'm the only one here who thinks the comments here are getting more and more dull?

40+ degrees in the sun, body temp 37, one will rise to match the other, go figure.  If you are cycling in this weather, you need to make careful preparations, over hydrate, plan a course with no hills, cycle only in the early morning or evening to avoid direct sunlight, make stops every 40 minutes to pour cold water over yourself.  Personally I don't cycle when the temp is over 34, it's dangerous, stressful, and not very enjoyable. 

58 minutes ago, kentrot said:

The picture does not show the shoes.

But if they are the kind that have a toe that locks into the pedals,

I have to say they are very dangerous in the kind of traffic we have in this part of the world.

Rest In Peace

Mmm, don't know much about cycling do you? It's the bottom of the shoe, not the toe that clips onto the pedal. The foot can be instantly taken off the pedal with a simple twist.

40+ degrees in the sun, body temp 37, one will rise to match the other, go figure.  If you are cycling in this weather, you need to make careful preparations, over hydrate, plan a course with no hills, cycle only in the early morning or evening to avoid direct sunlight, make stops every 40 minutes to pour cold water over yourself.  Personally I don't cycle when the temp is over 34, it's dangerous, stressful, and not very enjoyable. 
I was cycling yesterday morning and it was hotter than normal. I still think the shoes being off is unusual, and him being separated from his bike by that much, but i don't know the exact spot so could be plausible.
I did a 70km cycle today with hills, was fine, 100km Sunday. It depends on fitness level

1 hour ago, Enigmatist said:

Seriously, the bicycle and shoes see found nearby. Ok, it's conceivable that the bike may have continued a very short way after he supposedly disembarked. But the shoes too??!! How are people overlooking this?

He was wearing flip-flops,

and flip-flops are certainly not the kind of shoes that stay on your feet

when you make a sever fall in an abrupt slope.  :sleep:

PS: Yes ThaiVisa said "shoes", but other media says "flip-flops"

4 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Surprised nobody witnessed this.The weather was nice , lots of people biking, driving, having a picnic etc around the Maprachan reservoir.Would be good to know the exact spot.

The stones look like the ones on the huge bank inside the reservoir compound itself which could explain to distance between body and bike if he passed  out while riding along the roadway on top.

13 hours ago, Bangna Betty said:

Accident or hit and run?  Very sad. Take care everyone if you are out on the roads. 

Why make an idiot comment like that?

The article clearly states that there appeared to be no foul play..

It doesn't take long...  2nd post

11 hours ago, spermwhale said:

If you look at the bike, it's obvious that it wasn't hit by a vehicle. If it was it would show some damage. Thats not say that a passing vehcile came too close and the man panicked and went off the road. Or he could have had a medical issue. 

RIP. I'm a cycler and love it but I stopped riding on Thai roads. It's just too dangerous. 

i too ride the roads of pattaya and its outer area, but i feel safer on a bicycle than on a moterbike.  i feel that the locals give me a lot more respect on a bicycle that on a motorbike.

Archived