Foreign cyclist found dead at Pattaya reservoir

webfact

16 hours ago, oxforddon said:

Living in that area as I do, I see many cyclists and it is not so strange that one would have an accident or suffer a stroke in the heat of the last few days and not sure why so many would cynically look for foul play and play detective in this case. RIP to the man.

shoes    shoes    columbo all over this

11 hours ago, BB1955 said:

There's really nothing unusual of his shoes being off . My guess is he was struck by something . More often than not a person being struck will be found quite a far distance from there shoes .  I ve see people that have come out of fully laced and tied boots in accidents . 

really ??????

Maybe not a real hit and run , but still could be vehicles getting to close to him . I am also on my bicycle almost daily , but I stay away from the main roads.   Never had an accident yet , after 7 years

On 4/24/2018 at 6:03 PM, webfact said:

There were no signs of foul play or injuries to the body that was dressed in bicycle riding gear. There was money in the wallet.

There was money in the wallet...................... Did you see that?????.......... and think what I thought?????????????

I thought that possibly there may have been a few thousand baht........... But what will be turned in will be a much smaller amount........ LOL..............

I hope he was not wearing some 'GOLD'........................ LOL....................

Cycling is extremely hazardous here - and I have the scars to prove it.

It's all to easy to suffer the same terminal fate as thousands of soi dogs and  end up as just another pungent pong emanating from a roadside ditch!

That's why, whenever I am on my bike, I carry a home made ID card with an Emergency (in Thai) number to call, plus a cheap old cellphone only an old codger like me would be seen dead (or hopefully alive - using).

Plus, of course, the obligatory Buddha amulet!

Cycling is extremely hazardous here - and I have the scars to prove it.

I think its similar risk as walking around, road users have more right of way than pedestrians, if i try and cross Klang, 2nd road, 3rd road, beach road, I'll most likely need to run part of the way. Try that with a disability

8 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

There was money in the wallet...................... Did you see that?????.......... and think what I thought?????????????

I thought that possibly there may have been a few thousand baht........... But what will be turned in will be a much smaller amount........ LOL..............

I hope he was not wearing some 'GOLD'........................ LOL....................

Oh stop ..LOL..me sides are splitting.

You are a very funny man.

No really

On 4/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, hyku1147 said:

Perhaps his actions suggest that he became disorientated? Heat exposure and/or dehydration exacerbating an existing condition?:sad:

Only mad dogs and Englishmen....

On 4/25/2018 at 4:34 PM, Jeremy50 said:

Mmm, don't know much about cycling do you? It's the bottom of the shoe, not the toe that clips onto the pedal. The foot can be instantly taken off the pedal with a simple twist.

Thanks Jeremy50  for validating my inadequacy of familiarity with cycling footwear. The locking mechanism is under the toe or fore-foot if you wish  and not the heel - is it not ? Forgive me for not being more specific.

A simple twist to release the shoe may not be an option when you are forced off the road by an errant driver - in an instant - as was one of my neighbours , who I was called upon to rescue from a ditch, and drive to the hospital when that happened, in almost the same location, 2 years ago .  

But thank you for your understanding and sarcasm. It helps me to remember why I don't bother posting more often.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:14 AM, wanderluster said:

i too ride the roads of pattaya and its outer area, but i feel safer on a bicycle than on a moterbike.  i feel that the locals give me a lot more respect on a bicycle that on a motorbike.

Yes I agree . I do feel that bicyclists are given more space than people on motorcyles. 

got heat stroke a few years again CM. Doctor buddy told me to beware that it is extremely to get again after you get it once and he was right. I spent yesterday on a drip after spending too much time in the horrific heat up here the last few days. I also pretty much quit riding anything on 2 wheels. I have a small Miyata Japanese traditional bike but even that scares me. people coming within cm of me all the time or even trying to cross and street on it. Plus no sidewalks etc etc. Forced to won a car. Drag.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:12 AM, johncat1 said:

But how do they know none was missing ? A thief  ( possibly police officer ) could have taken a lot but left some to let people believe robbery was not a motive 

do you think he would go out dressed to do a cycle run with a wallet full of cash?

got heat stroke a few years again CM. Doctor buddy told me to beware that it is extremely to get again after you get it once and he was right. I spent yesterday on a drip after spending too much time in the horrific heat up here the last few days. I also pretty much quit riding anything on 2 wheels. I have a small Miyata Japanese traditional bike but even that scares me. people coming within cm of me all the time or even trying to cross and street on it. Plus no sidewalks etc etc. Forced to won a car. Drag.

I cycle a lot and I've noticed it being hotter the last few days, humid and lack of wind was pushing my temperature up. Even being totally wet with sweat still feel hot, even my drinking water was warm. Anyway i was glad for a cold shower after.

Certain roads are harder to walk on than ride a bicycle or motorbike

Was out with my electric bike today before the rain started,  it was hotter than usual and a lot of traffic . But I never felt unsafe , I have installed 2 mirrors so I can always keep an eye on whats going on behind me. 

And believe me , you need to stay focused all the time., especially when all the big buses gets too close and tries to pass you.   

Archived