Aerox advice please.

malt25

Some advice, info please. I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a new Yamaha Aerox scooter. For the past few years I've been using community Honda Wave & Scoopy. Time for a unit of my own.

80% of riding will be town traffic & remainder short distance day trips.

I'd appreciate advice, comments, both positive & negative. Also advice re the different versions. Standard, R version & ABS version. Is the additional cost per version justifiable ? I don't consider I'll be doing much, if any wet weather riding.

Thanks in advance.

I did not consider it worth it to go ABS, others might, I went for the R version and I like it. 

I like the speed of the bike, love the big size for luggage storage (can store a full face helmet). Love that the tank is not located under the seat. Some people have problems that it "only" holds around 4 liter of fuel. For me its more then enough as i live in bKK and there are gas stations everywhere. 

There is a huge topic on the Aerox 155 in this forum.

How tall are you? I found the knee high box on left side annoying, and bought a pcx. Have not regret one day for the choice. If you are heavy, and also going to have a passenger, the only down side I have on pcx, is the thai sized suspension, and those need to be changed. I have also tried Nmax, and it is a better choice for me, but still Pcx I found suits me best. 

2 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Thanks Hummin. I weigh about 86kg. Passenger very rarely if ever. 173 cm.

I am 179, so I guess Aerox will suit you well. Nice bike for sure, and one of the first I thought about when looking for a bike. Good price as well. 

And ABS dependes on how much rider experience you have? If you are used to ride bikes, then I would not consider ABS as an option worth paying for, but again, it is a good option for those who are relative new to biking. 

• 4 months later...

ABS is not the only "plus" of the top version. Also the smart key and the start-stop system are found only on the top version. The disk brake (only front unfortunately) looks different/bigger on the ABS version too.

On 4/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, Hummin said:

How tall are you? I found the knee high box on left side annoying, and bought a pcx. Have not regret one day for the choice.

I am 192cm, the right knee hits the front it's true but only if I sit forward. If I sit all the way back, it's ok - this makes less space for a passenger but I am usually alone. Still my legs would not stretch out on either aerox or pcx (or nmax), and I personally prefer the feeling of the aerox which is what I bought.

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

ABS is not the only "plus" of the top version. Also the smart key and the start-stop system are found only on the top version. The disk brake (only front unfortunately) looks different/bigger on the ABS version too.

I am 192cm, the right knee hits the front it's true but only if I sit forward. If I sit all the way back, it's ok - this makes less space for a passenger but I am usually alone. Still my legs would not stretch out on either aerox or pcx (or nmax), and I personally prefer the feeling of the aerox which is what I bought.

Never regrat my pcx, but again it is a personal choice. I also tried the N-max, but again I found the pcx a better choice as my city bike. Good space for shopping and so on. 

• 9 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 8:36 AM, lust said:

Pcx is much better quality. Aerox and nmax feel cheap, but look good. I’ve personall had 4 nmax’s with under 10,000km that needed engine rebuilds.

no way have ridden them both, for me they are not even in the same ball park! The Yamaha is quicker, handles better and looks better. With a little bit of upgrade the Yamaha rocks here in Chiang Mai. Pirellis, Ykk suspension upgrades front and rear, tuned exhaust and lower the roller size to 9 grams in the transmission turned into a beast. If nothing else just put the pirellis on and wow yourself.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:36 AM, lust said:

Pcx is much better quality. Aerox and nmax feel cheap, but look good. I’ve personall had 4 nmax’s with under 10,000km that needed engine rebuilds.

HMMMMMM.  4 bikes that needed engine rebuilds ?

maybe the problem lies with the rider rather than the motorcycle ?

• 1 month later...

I can't really see the point of the smart key system. You still have to carry the remote, you still have to turn the control knob, why not just use a key. Plus you have the added complexity and possibility that something goes wrong with the electronics. Plus if you lose the one remote you are stuffed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, arithai12 said:

The disk brake (only front unfortunately) looks different/bigger on the ABS version too.

I was wondering how to see the difference between ABS and conventional. Is it like millimeters or clearly visible?

18 minutes ago, Moobahn said:

I was wondering how to see the difference between ABS and conventional. Is it like millimeters or clearly visible?

I don't know about the Aerox in detail, but in general the easiest way to know if a brake has ABS or not is to look for the cable which ABS requires to transmit the data.

If you see just the brake hose, it can't have ABS.

If you see another cable (smaller than the brake hose) attached to the brake or somewhere close to the brake / wheel, this is most likely the cable required for ABS.

Like the cable which you can see on this picture, attached close to the center of the wheel:

Wheel-Speed-sensors-CBR-250R.jpg.e6de703ad933a2286dcd372ba6d45617.jpg

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't know about the Aerox in detail, but in general the easiest way to know if a brake has ABS or not is to look for the cable which ABS requires to transmit the data.

If you see just the brake hose, it can't have ABS.

If you see another cable (smaller than the brake hose) attached to the brake or somewhere close to the brake / wheel, this is most likely the cable required for ABS.

Like the cable which you can see on this picture, attached close to the center of the wheel:

Wheel-Speed-sensors-CBR-250R.jpg.e6de703ad933a2286dcd372ba6d45617.jpg

Er, what about just looking for that serrated slotted disc thingy in the middle?

On 8/29/2018 at 8:36 AM, lust said:

yes i understand there appears to be an issue with lack of lubrication in the bearings in the 155 cc motor... I like both the nmax and aerox a lot but yamaha cut a lot of corners to undercut honda pricing and it shows in many areas.... i would also be a bit concerned about the longevity of the abs system until proven otherwise.  additionally with such a big contact surface with the larger tire it will require more effort to lock up the wheels so an experienced rider should be fine without it...

On 6/17/2019 at 6:04 AM, gyps said:

no way have ridden them both, for me they are not even in the same ball park! The Yamaha is quicker, handles better and looks better. With a little bit of upgrade the Yamaha rocks here in Chiang Mai. Pirellis, Ykk suspension upgrades front and rear, tuned exhaust and lower the roller size to 9 grams in the transmission turned into a beast. If nothing else just put the pirellis on and wow yourself.

that's more about performance than quality but I do agree the engine is very quick for a 155 with roller upgrades, etc.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:20 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Er, what about just looking for that serrated slotted disc thingy in the middle?

I maybe wrong but I think Yamaha just use the same slotted disk on other versions, it's true for other bikes, that disk is usually used for ABS, but check some R version Aerox and you see it there also....

My friends now has 30k km of hard riding on his R version from new, some long distance fast riding and some slower, no engine problem, also recently changed to lighter 3 rollers, so far so good...  serviced according to book with 100% synthetic Shell oil a bit more often than the book, maybe that helps....

i just sold my 2 year old Aerox R (replaced with new PCX) ....

35,000 trouble free km's - couldn't fault it - well pleased with what i sold it for (ownership / running cost only slightly more expensive than getting the baht bus - 5555)..

only changed it cos i fancied the new PCX ...

i think the negative comments about Aerox reliability have been made up....

4 hours ago, piston broke said:

i just sold my 2 year old Aerox R (replaced with new PCX) ....

35,000 trouble free km's - couldn't fault it - well pleased with what i sold it for (ownership / running cost only slightly more expensive than getting the baht bus - 5555)..

only changed it cos i fancied the new PCX ...

i think the negative comments about Aerox reliability have been made up....

It is a personal experience, and not made up ????

On 8/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, Hummin said:

It is a personal experience, and not made up ????

yeah the guy sells it while its problem free then gets a honda then says all problem reports on the aerox are made up... guy needs to go back to school...

Archived