Drivers license renewal update

Ok, just renewed my 5 year and it has gotten....simpler!

Just need immigration letter, signed picture page and visa page copy from passport and old license.

Any day of the work week, was there at 0830 to check in, loafed around until 10 then had the visual tests then a one hour Thai soap show about being nice then new license. Out by 1115.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Quite a few web pages about Thai driving licenses state that you can get resident confirmation or your embassy. Samui Land Transport Office does not accept embassy confirmation and requires Immigration confirmation.

Just to save others a trip to Nathon...

3 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Quite a few web pages about Thai driving licenses state that you can get resident confirmation or your embassy. Samui Land Transport Office does not accept embassy confirmation and requires Immigration confirmation.

Just to save others a trip to Nathon...

If one has a Yellow House Book, then that is accepted as proof of residence by Samui Land Transport Office, and no letter from Immigration is needed.

In other local forum it has been mentioned that a health report from a hospital, not clinic, is now necessary, but from OP it seem like not at Samui. An new informative video about Thai DL from the British Embassy was shared earlier this year, but the video was redrawn due to it didn't mention the health certificate for renewal.

Only difference I notice since I renewed my 5-year DL a few years ago, is the one can now come every work day in the week, before it used to be on specific days only.

Mine are up for renewal in 5 weeks.

I don't doubt what you were asked for, but as it is such a long journey to Lipa Noi, and to save myself another trip, I will be taking a medical certificate and a few other bits and pieces.  Just in case.

I don't doubt what you were asked for, but as it is such a long journey to Lipa Noi, and to save myself another trip, I will be taking a medical certificate and a few other bits and pieces.  Just in case.

Don’t forget to report back on your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If one has a Yellow House Book, then that is accepted as proof of residence by Samui Land Transport Office, and no letter from Immigration is needed.

Apparently Yellow book is
not acceptable at the Banglamung/Pattaya DLT
Thailand 4.0 where every office has its own interpretation of "the rules"

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

but the video was redrawn due to it didn't mention the health certificate for renewal

Do Thais need a health certificate to get a license......................that's if they bother.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Apparently Yellow book is
not acceptable at the Banglamung/Pattaya DLT
Thailand 4.0 where every office has its own interpretation of "the rules"

Thanks, but this is a Koh Samui forum, so what they do in Pattaya is not important, Samui has it's own rules, and Yellow House Book works here (talk from experience)...:wink:

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

Last time I renewed 4 years ago, they just gave back medical certificate and said only needed first time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another wasted trip to Lipa Noi.  It seems Samui Land Transport Office does not recognise the rules that the Thai Land Transport Office publishes. The grumpy chap refused my National License (all in English) and requested that the Embassy would have to certify the license first. Embassy declines to do any certification of driving licenses. 

Sounds like the rumour that the Chief of Samui Land Transport Office wants everybody to do the full monty driving test is true. 

3 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Sounds like the rumour that the Chief of Samui Land Transport Office wants everybody to do the full monty driving test is true. 

Very sorry to hear that..maybe consider trying in an "easier" province   some places like Pattaya will give you a "residence certificate"  with a hotel address  you would of course have to "convert" your licence at the Pattaya DLT

On 4/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, khunPer said:

what they do in Pattaya is not important,

Well maybe it helps to know that other places have different ( sometimes easier) rules and regulations ?

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Very sorry to hear that..maybe consider trying in an "easier" province   some places like Pattaya will give you a "residence certificate"  with a hotel address  you would of course have to "convert" your licence at the Pattaya DLT

Well maybe it helps to know that other places have different ( sometimes easier) rules and regulations ?

Surat Thani might be the next stop as a few people suggested they apply the official rules. Otherwise I better work on my parallel parking skills :wai:

2 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Another wasted trip to Lipa Noi.  It seems Samui Land Transport Office does not recognise the rules that the Thai Land Transport Office publishes. The grumpy chap refused my National License (all in English) and requested that the Embassy would have to certify the license first. Embassy declines to do any certification of driving licenses. 

Did you have an IDP? 

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Did you have an IDP? 

European (non-english) with IDP and when he said he needed certification from embassy I showed an ASEAN in English (which there is no requirement for IDP for the 9 ASEAN countries).   

3 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Surat Thani might be the next stop as a few people suggested they apply the official rules. Otherwise I better work on my parallel parking skills :wai:

so my workpermit should take care of all that, as if it´s a guarantee that i can drive savely.

Makes me wonder : Did anybody ever  get declined of a driving license here ? Hm ? Please tell your story.

47 minutes ago, starfish said:

so my workpermit should take care of all that, as if it´s a guarantee that i can drive savely.

Makes me wonder : Did anybody ever  get declined of a driving license here ? Hm ? Please tell your story.

I am talking about one based on foreign valid driving license and not going through the two day process of getting one like a new driver.

your work permit will not address the issue that they ask for the embassy to certify your foreign license

Did anybody ever  get declined of a driving license here ? Hm ? Please tell your story.

I failed the computerised theory test twice in one day so they told me to come back next day then I passed. (Some of the questions dont make sense)
I saw a Thai guy fail the peripheral vision test, a farang guy kept getting the color chart test wrong the tester said if you say green again you go home then she pointed at red he said green everyone laughed she said ok you pass !

I failed the computerised theory test twice in one day so they told me to come back next day then I passed. (Some of the questions dont make sense)
I saw a Thai guy fail the peripheral vision test, a farang guy kept getting the color chart test wrong the tester said if you say green again you go home then she pointed at red he said green everyone laughed she said ok you pass !

I saw an older Thai guy struggle with the colours, they let his wife stand behind him and whisper the answers !!

30 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I saw an older Thai guy struggle with the colours, they let his wife stand behind him and whisper the answers !!

I said: "green", but only because i didn´t know there´s blue as well  :smile:

12 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Please don't share your experience from Nakhon Nowhere. 

This thread is Samui specific. 

My story happened in Samui, but a while back. Gods help me !

I´m due for my 5 year renewal, i let my driving license run out, like every law abiding citizen.

I hear: up to one year, no plomplem, up to 3 year, big plomplem.

Is that still right, on Samui ?

• 1 month later...

Went today to renew my two driving licences (car and motorbike). In at 8:30, but with the ensuing scrum, I only managed to get number 84. ?

Waited about 50 minutes before number called, handed over documents. Two copies of each; passport photo page, visa page, residence certificate from immigration. All signed. Did not require medical certificates. Was asked to sign and add telephone number to two documents in Thai. Don't know what they were.

Told to go upstairs at 10:00.

Name was called around 10:30 for visual tests. everyone pushing and jostling to be next.

Depth perception test, and reaction test.

Simple colour test of traffic lights. Call out red, green or yellow as shown. No colour blind test as I had before.

Papers ticked off, and told to go back downstairs and pay. I did not have to watch any videos.

Was charged THB780.  Receipts only show 505 + 255 = 760.  I think more of an adding mistake than a deliberate overcharge.

Out by 11:30.

I had been told by someone not to go on a Monday as it is really busy, and it was. 

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Was charged THB780.  Receipts only show 505 + 255 = 760.  I think more of an adding mistake than a deliberate overcharge.

The 20 baht was for the plastic pocket for your new DL. 

Not joking... 

Archived