Drivers license renewal update

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

6 if you went straight after your birthday.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

6 if you went straight after your birthday.

I went three days after my birthday. Just checked the expiry date, and you are correct June 2024.

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

I went three days after my birthday. Just checked the expiry date, and you are correct June 2024.

Everyone will recive a DL to their next birthday, YES timing is the best, come before your birthday, 5yrs , coming one day late, six years. 

• 7 months later...

Hi folks,

I'm thinking I should get a Thai Driving Licence.

It it my understanding that I need:

Copy of relevant passport pages

Copy of driving licence

Copy of IDP

Residence certificate from immigration

Medical certificate

Is there anything I am missing? and is a copy of the medical certificate I used for an extension at immigration acceptable?

5 hours ago, johng said:

I don't think you need an IDP....unless your home country license is not written in English.
Also there is supposedly a new medical form you but you can get one from most clinics quickly and cheaply.

Thank you for your reply.

I wish to avoid the full test so I do think it is needed.

Nobody seems to know anything about the new medical form or if it is being enforced, which is why I asked the question whether the medical certificate required for a visa extension would be acceptable?

49 minutes ago, SamuiGeezer said:

Thank you for your reply.

I wish to avoid the full test so I do think it is needed.

Nobody seems to know anything about the new medical form or if it is being enforced, which is why I asked the question whether the medical certificate required for a visa extension would be acceptable?

If not changed recently:

Normally you need an IDP and your national DL to apply for a Thai DL.

You'll need a medical form for DL, not the one used for extension of stay, from a hospital; Bandon Hospital or Thai International Hospital, both in Bo Phut, can do it, probably still 250 baht. Medical form is only needed first time you apply for Thai DL, not for renewals. Your first DL will be for 1 or 2 years, then you can renew every fifth year.

You will follow Thai DL renewal procedure, and do a color test, and a reaction test, and a depth vision test; plus watching a video about correct behavior in the traffic.

Remember to dress politely, i.e. no shorts or beach dress.

????

If not changed recently:
Normally you need an IDP and your national DL to apply for a Thai DL.
You'll need a medical form for DL, not the one used for extension of stay, from a hospital; Bandon Hospital or Thai International Hospital, both in Bo Phut, can do it, probably still 250 baht. Medical form is only needed first time you apply for Thai DL, not for renewals. Your first DL will be for 1 or 2 years, then you can renew every fifth year.
You will follow Thai DL renewal procedure, and do a color test, and a reaction test, and a depth vision test; plus watching a video about correct behavior in the traffic.
Remember to dress politely, i.e. no shorts or beach dress.
[emoji846]

Just to add.
The first DL is now 2 years.
You will need a medical certificate for first DL and for renewal from 2 to 5 years.
It is available from most clinics also, just tell them you need med cert for DL , cost should be 100 baht .

No shorts I’d definitely being enforced at some DLT’s.

• 2 months later...

My report from today at Samui office:

08:40 arrive office, take ticket #60. Wait about 30 minutes.

Get told that I need a medical certificate.

I go to Somsak medical clinic in Nathorn. Wait about 50 minutes. Pay 100B.

Return and need to copy medical certificate as I'm applying for both car and bike licences.

At about 10:35 when I return. 4 people remain in checking queue. I do the 3 physical checks.

At 10:50 I pay 555 for car and 305B for motorcycle. I only get charged 20B for one plastic card holder. 

11:25 pick up licences and two plastic holders (yes, a free one!) and leave.

-------

If you go straight to Somsak medical clinic from the 08:00 ferry, you should have ample time. I did all the above from the same 08:00 arrival ferry.

Return and need to copy medical certificate as I'm applying for both car and bike licences.

At about 10:35 when I return. 4 people remain in checking queue. I do the 3 physical checks.

At 10:50 I pay 555 for car and 305B for motorcycle. I only get charged 20B for one plastic card holder. 

-------

If you go straight to Somsak medical clinic from the 08:00 ferry, you should have ample time. I did all the above from the same 08:00 arrival ferry.

The plastic holders were 10 baht each when I got mine a couple of years ago , not at Samui though.

13 minutes ago, tomhale said:

Renewal or first license, last time I renewed I didn't need a medical certificate. 

On 3/22/2019 at 12:16 PM, tomhale said:

-------

Thank you for your post, did you need to provide some proof of residence as well?

15 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

Thank you for your post, did you need to provide some proof of residence as well?

Just FYI, I had to update (not renew) my licence to show new passport number.

Cost to change each (motorcycle and car) licence 65 baht (free plastic holders).

I needed two copies of proof of residence from SI.

SI charged 500 baht for two copies of proof of address, you need to take a photo for each. (Free in Khon Kaen Immigration).

On 3/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, evadgib said:

I wonder if the cement mixer driver that rolled over and flattened several motorbikes in Bang Por this afternoon has one?

(I have no idea if anyone was injured).

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I had the same thoughts about the driver that rolled his Samui 'airport' bus two days ago.

Clearly off topic but informative .... :wink:

Archived