Photo-story - Where my bike’s been

StreetCowboy

This forum has been like a morgue recently, so I thought it was time for a cryptic thread.

Post a cryptic description of where your bike’s been, and let others describe the photo; please quote the original description, as I fully anticipate there will be loads of challenges running in parallel.... then a week later, or sooner, or later, as you see fit, post the photo.

• Like 2

All the topics related to sports (the ones we participate in our-self not watch) seem to be dead in the water. I can only conclude that the health conscious members are a minority or we just don't like to write about it. Good effort though keep it up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

Country road, take me home....

This is my life, in rural Lamphun

IMG_1442.JPG

Do you get much use out of the flat carriers?  I use my pannier bags and front basket, but I rarely remember to carry the bungee cords I need to tie stuff onto the flat carrier.

When I was much younger than I am today, 30+ years ago back in the old country, the flat carrier had a spring-loaded jaw that would hold stuff on completely ineffectually, and the only solution in the absence of panniers was a backpack

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rumak said:

i have taken a photo of one of the first mountain bikes to ever hit the trails (on Mt.Tamalpais).

these were heavy Shwynn frames converted to gears and drum brakes !  even has the spring loaded jaw carrier !    sitting in my garage here now  :-)  These bikes were converted into "mountain bikes" by locals in Marin County before any were mass produced.  We especially liked riding up, and down, the horse trails.

Circa 1976 or thereabouts.  The rest is history.......and I'm not far behind   :passifier:

we just go for short trips nowadays.....but sometimes put a small cooler (bunjee cords needed) on the rack when picking up some groceries

bicycles ...jpg

bikes.jpg

Lovely looking bikes; I was admiring some Schwann bikes in my local bike shop; “But who buys them? I never see them out on the street.”

”Collectors”; buying a bike and not riding it seems like buying Guinness to leave on the mantelpiece.

is that a combo nation gear hub / back-pedal brake on the back?

edit: OK, old port, not Guinness; Guinness would be like collecting my bike, (in that you would pick it up at the local pub)

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

That Schwynn frame is at least 60 years old.  They only came with one speed and yes, back pedal brake.

We changed to a derailler and gears (only 5 at first) and drum brakes. The next updrade was alloy wheels and

caliper brakes which brought the weight down.  But that frame was all steel ! 

A guy named Cunningham lived down the street, and Fischer also started out in Marin County. They started the real revolution in light weight but strong mountain bikes.  I still remember going head over handlebars

when crossing a small stream on one of the trails.  Those were the days.....but we say that about thailand

30 years ago too, don't we. I DID bring my bike to Chiangmai way back then...a Stumpjumper it was called.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great photos; it's a pleasure to see people enjoying their cycling.

Back on the 'cryptic' topic of this thread, to try and jolt some life into this moribund forum:
On Cloud Nine....

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Thanks for all the great photos; it's a pleasure to see people enjoying their cycling.

Back on the 'cryptic' topic of this thread, to try and jolt some life into this moribund forum:
On Cloud Nine....

Somewhere in the Cameron Highlands? Beer in hand?

4 hours ago, bobfish said:

Fantastic Rumak. That's a collectors item for sure! I recently rode up Mt Tam [road bike] via Fairfax where I visited the Mountain Biking Museum. Sure I saw one just like yours and worth a visit.

Here's an earlier shot on Marin Headlands, Mt Tam peaking behind I think.

image.png.f2bd3efba6174c20dd7f5a40af0d5d9c.png 

And one same day for SC, pitstop at Pelican Inn, Muir Beach:

image.png.983f6e0696f5760488c0a589c14410a6.png

that photo of yours brings back memories of how beautiful it is up on Mt Tam.....i rode up from mill valley and sometimes from fairfax.    I don't live so far from Doi Intanon now ....... but not quite up to that nowadays.   I do have a view of it though  ;-)

thanks for the pics

You hit the nail on the head there Jon, in all his Texas finery hahaha

All the photos are around the Pattaya area, BanSare, Mabrachan, overlooking  Bali Hai .

Was hoping there would be a few more pics from the cyclists around the area!

1 hour ago, n210mp said:

You hit the nail on the head there Jon, in all his Texas finery hahaha

All the photos are around the Pattaya area, BanSare, Mabrachan, overlooking  Bali Hai .

Was hoping there would be a few more pics from the cyclists around the area!

I'm not convinced. Colour co-ordinated attire with his bike!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What better way to prepare for a fund-raising banana leaf curry lunch at your local orphanage?

Sentral Chappati Shop

Curry breakfast at the Sentral Chappati Shop, on KL Car-Free morning.

Young Aaron had recklessly joined us for a second time.

"I have no idea where I am," he said, as we cycled through deepest Petaling Jaya.  

"Don't worry - you will soon.  Richfield Corner"

"Where's that?"

"There"

Richfield Corner, somewhere in Petaling Jaya

Anyway, 30 minutes on google maps, and he'd figured out how to get home
"Hello dear, I've been kidnapped by the Scottish mafia, and I need you to come and rescue me...

Bring some money for the cider ransom"

• Like 1

I went for an afternoon ride to the Sentral Chapatti Shop for a late lunch, and went via the Bukit Gasing roadworks near Pantai Bahru.  They are building a massive grade separated junction on the hill, encroaching onto the forest park, which I am guessing will be linked to major roads to other places.  I doubt it will make cycling any more pleasant in that area,,,

Looking towards other placesLooking towards the forest park

• Like 1

We took what might be deemed an unnecessarily long and hilly detour to reach the KL Highland Games.

The weather was great - overcast and cloudy, with heavy rain earlier in the day to make the pitches soft.  We stayed until it rained, and then left three minutes earlier, to beat the traffic.

Sikh Pipe Band

5af81ad1a075f_Sikhpipeband.jpg.d497564c755a124d3cf12ce35af1a39f.jpg

• Like 1