Photo-story - Where my bike’s been

StreetCowboy

So I was out on the shopping bike this morning

93B75D0A-838B-4774-94E0-DD32B21BD295.thumb.jpeg.fe6691e9462b9c112719544548e305e1.jpeg

without the panniers but with cans of Irn Bru for everyone in the basket.

It was a surprisingly brisk ride, with personal bests all along the Federal Highway.  Maybe those skinny 28 mm tyres make a bigger difference than I thought...

The bike had been rattling on the rough roads, and I thought I should check the rack mountings for tightness when I got home.  I was wrong.  I should’ve checked when we stopped for breakfast.  I heard the screw and spacer drop off as I was hammering it on the broken tarmac in heavy traffic outside 1 Utama, but I thought it prudent not to stop and look for it.

So first stop this afternoon was Johnny’s, at My Bicycle Shop.

”Can you help me, Johnny, I’ve got a screw loose”

”I know that, but I deal with bikes”

Anyway, a bit of explanation, a bike inspection, a rummage in his bolts bin and I was on my way.  I bought a rack-mounted rear light as well; it’s a Japanese brand, and fiendishly clever.  It comes on automatically when it’s dark and it senses the vibration of a moving bicycle. So they say.  And the batteries probably last for ever as well.

Next stop the Trek shop, to buy a replacement secondary headlight, in case of failure of the primary light (the secondary seemed to have failed.  I’m buying the same brand again because the rear light has performed well, and with another mounting strap I can swap the light between bikes).  

“Looks like rain, sir. You might get wet on the way home”

I didn’t have the heart to tell him I was not going home; while I’d been planning this morning’s ride I’d noticed a bike shop next to a couple of pubs in Plaza Kelana Jaya, and I was heading there for lunch.

I was piss-wet through by the time I got there; none of the pubs were open in the afternoon, and no sign of the bike shop.  The security guard told me it was upstairs, but when you’ve done 70 km already today and you’re as wet as a seat at a Take That concert and two hours late for lunch the last thing you want to do is go upstairs to some place that is not next to a pub that sells food. Luckily, I had a solution.

image.thumb.jpg.76aee75ce59773ca823f6c591c0439f5.jpg

Technically, five solutions and fish and chips at Richfield Corner, which set me in better spirits for the ride home.  And the rain had stopped.

• Like 2

I first met The New Boy in the pub.

As I arrived, he said, bold as brass, no beating about the bush, he said, blunt as you like “Are you a cyclist?”

’Uh-oh... rumbled’ I thought, ‘it must be my athletic physique that has given me away; that, or he’s noticed I’m sat on a bicycle...’, so like George Washington, axe in hand, I thought honesty was the best policy.

”Like a cyclist, but bigger” I confessed.  Anyway, since that evening he’s consistently bettered my Personal Bests everywhere except on the Speak-Your-Weight machine.

• Like 2

The first clue that I'd had too much the night before was that I was out with my deputy, fellow Scot and drinking buddy of many years.  The second clue was the New Boy's phone call at 0810 "Are you on your way?"

"Almost - meet me outside Sid's in ten minutes"

I think I was still unfit to cycle 35 km later after breakfast, and crawled back to bed until dinner time.

Before I'd met my deputy I'd raked round to the bike shop, but the road bike was still not ready

"Almost started", they told me.  

"OK - Thursday night"

"OK - can!" which I think was their way of saying "if you think we're going to prioritise an aluminium bike over the fancy stuff we get in here, you can think again"

I saw M's bike with the bent dropper-mounting sitting in the shop not even washed yet, and didn't hold out much confidence... I should've taken a picture of it, though, because there was not many photogenic opportunities on the weekend's rides.

We'd decided to go to Almost Rawang via the LATAR Highway and back down Route 1, which is a fairly straight-forward 70 km; not as pleasant as Not Going to Rawang via the Closed Road, but an easy opportunity to accumulate mileage.  The shopping bike is suffering from lack of care and attention, as well as last week's off-road excursion, and it rides like a coffee grinder now.  It's going into the shop as soon as the road bike is released, but a different shop this time.  

• Like 2

We Mayday! Mayday!

A public holiday, and M had suggested a ridiculous hill near The Wall that I’d always shied away from.  It might be steep, it might be long and high, but it doesn’t go anywhere.

”But look at the view you get over KL”

”It’s not much better than the road below”

732073A9-9488-47AF-B3B7-37111F75FE4B.thumb.jpeg.cf7b45a0a3890ff7329bde8f624ebbc1.jpeg

Anyway, M pulled out, so did my buddy so three of us set out. I selfishly changed the route to an Alignment Ride along our railway, as I had to take some pictures of the viaduct.

I missed one, as the roadworks were too wide and too long, and then I didn’t notice the Jalan Ipoh One-Way Gyratory (I think it’s closed on one direction, and contra-flow in the other, to allow for our Works).

So we found ourselves headed into town to Darkest ChowKit, where the traffic was congested stationary; not the end of the world for me on the shopping bike, but troublesome for the boys clamped into their road bikes. And then a swerve to the right, past the World Trade Centre, up a small hill and your back into the leafy suburbs of Taman Tunku (photo from another day, looking back towards KL)

125BBB58-A340-4284-A22A-98C3FBB848FD.thumb.jpeg.8d4815acb9c8f5e92f494537a4e42655.jpeg

We stopped for breakfast next to Sid’s in Taman Tunku, but we put off whetting our whistles till El Sid’s,

9224AE4D-A118-4BCA-8EAA-7F49EDB3DB1D.thumb.jpeg.2a2dfb7b27ad4f48dce73e2bce6467e4.jpeg

whence the New Boy set off home his separate way.

I left the viaduct pictures to the end, for those who are interested, or persistent

450D3B97-1D46-4767-AA4E-8391A9E3D51B.jpeg

FAA2324D-D5D8-4653-84CA-8D38132D9AEB.jpeg

9C7BCBF1-F582-40BA-80DD-473D99A5EB0D.jpeg

3668F6BB-E961-4DDA-B4CA-41FDA4F400AB.jpeg

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You may recall my buddy is short a dinger, and wants one that fits his road bike handlebars, but doesn’t want to pay too much money.

Well, I’ve had enough of it, and when I was in the Trek shop Ibought a Knogg dinger.  Knogg are the IKEA of bike accessories - nothing fancy, simple and all you need, though maybe not what you want. And it came with an Allen key

image.thumb.jpg.f810ef08858b84c3e74059651447b9c6.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, n210mp said:

Having to have a weeks rest or so from the bike. 

it was a hard  choice  between golf and cycling  and Golf won through in the end.

You see 2 x 50K rides in high heat & humidity is getting  a bit too much for me at my age  as well as  twice a week walk on  an 18 hole golf course towing heavier than normal golf bag around and actually playing  golf at the same time!

Anyway here is a couple of pics of where I ride and where I play golf, I dont draw much distinction between golfing and biking as the only difference I can see is that I pull two wheels with the golf and ride two wheels with the cycling (Just for those who object to me mentioning golf in this section!)   

The first pic on the golf course at Plutaluang golf course Sattahip

The second  pic up near Mabrachan in Pattaya with Michael

The third with Texas Bobbo at bansare fishing harbour Bansare.

20190217_064433.jpg

20181122_075440.jpg

20181111_081155 1.jpg

I can’t believe you stood in front of Mike’s bike in the second photo.  

Is that a new high viz vest Texas Bob is wearing?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, n210mp said:

Having to have a weeks rest or so from the bike. 

it was a hard  choice  between golf and cycling  and Golf won through in the end.

You see 2 x 50K rides in high heat & humidity is getting  a bit too much for me at my age  as well as  twice a week walk on  an 18 hole golf course towing heavier than normal golf bag around and actually playing  golf at the same time!

Anyway here is a couple of pics of where I ride and where I play golf, I dont draw much distinction between golfing and biking as the only difference I can see is that I pull two wheels with the golf and ride two wheels with the cycling (Just for those who object to me mentioning golf in this section!)   

The first pic on the golf course at Plutaluang golf course Sattahip

The second  pic up near Mabrachan in Pattaya with Michael

The third with Texas Bobbo at bansare fishing harbour Bansare.

20190217_064433.jpg

20181122_075440.jpg

20181111_081155 1.jpg

What is it like riding a proper road bike, after the mountain bike?  My ‘road’ bike is a cyclocross, it weighs a ton and trundles over anything - not so different from the old mountain bike or the shopping bike

• Like 1

I was spoiled for choice this weekend - as well as my own planned rides, a colleague asked if we wanted to join his Ramadan ride - about 100 km on Friday night, leaving about 10 pm, getting home about 4am.  I opted out.

There's a public open night at Sepang circuit tonight, with Criterium races afterwards - the Category D entry qualifications looked possible, and I've never ridden in a race before, but I don't fancy driving all the way out to Sepang; the New Boy is going, though.

I was out with the New Boy for our Saturday morning ride today.

It was a hilly ride, though not extreme.  In particular, we did not, NO, NOT THAT WAY! did not go up The Wall, nor up Mayor Flats next to it.  YOu get just as good a view from the road below, and on the lower road, you can stand up and take a photo, instead of lying on the ground waiting for an ambulance

IMG_0088.thumb.JPG.3047895ce1630c5d69a5b3930eef5a56.JPG

I stopped to take another photo at the top of Tennis Centre Hill, looking down The Wall from the top

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.449af2dec99e0a99a37ff159b2b7b8a6.JPG

and that's when I noticed I'd accidentally stopped my GPS tracker when I took the previous photo.

From there, had we not taken a wrong turning, it would have been a very short ride down to the highway, and then up one more hill past the New Boy's house.  As we set off up the hill, I felt we could take a fractionally quicker pace, and I set out to pass.  The gradient was not too steep, and I assumed that the New Boy was suffering from the earlier hills, so I put the effort in to thrash it to the top.  Then I looked up - the top was miles away!  THe New Boy past me as my heart sank, and within a few metres more, I was weaving into the driveways to find a bit of flat road, then struggling to get over the spilled concrete on the road.  I'm not going to do that again soon.

SC 

• Like 2

We set off on a moderately long ride on Sunday - I think all roads we’d ridden before, but carefully planned to

a) reach 100 km

b) give us drink stops at motorway services that would still be open during Ramadan.

I was all set for turning for home at 36 km when there was nothing open at the first services.

”At least the petrol stations will be open”

but I’d forgotten that we turned off immediately before the next services at Kundang and my mind was filled with visions of the monkeys and vultures fighting over my parched corpse North of the historic town of Batu Arang, famous for its 22 sites of historic interest, including an open green space and the site of some old coal workings, which latter looked remarkably similar to the former, bar the caption on the plaque.

Luckily we were able to stave off the vultures by buying half a gallon of water and some sugary soft drinks at a dingy Chinese general store, and carried on up the monkey road to Batu Arang.  I think to help the monkeys fast in the Holy Month of Ramadan, the council has cleared away the roadside rubbish.

Anyway, the services being closed, we thought it prudent to fluid up when we found a Chinese place open in Batu Arang. Then, when we passed on the return leg by the services at Kundang we played safe and took on more water when we found one stall open.

I decided we couldn’t risk getting home short of 100 km and recommended we stay on the highway rather than the shorter backroads.  I soon regretted that when I realised just how long a detour it was, thinking for the last seven kilometres “I could be in the pub by now”; actually, the previous ten km were worse, looking down at the odometer saying 90 km, and knowing I had 7 km more to go than I needed to. I’d have liked to stop for a rest, but I couldn’t face drinking any more water.

Anyway, all’s well that ends well

9D6A66BB-3632-4A04-ABE0-99CA9966F8A7.thumb.jpeg.2f8618f75d6305d0a2fcc0bae03e8917.jpeg

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

My apologies for the lack of photos this afternoon; I’d planned old cannons at Bukit Melawati in Kuala Selangor, as you’ve seen before, but climate change conspired against us.

we’d taken a different route out - past the airport down and over the dragon’s back - it is so much easier than the homeward direction; along Jalan Paip (named for the water pipe running alongside) into Meru, where we were held to ransom waiting for our roti Chennai; it’s quite put me off eating food.

From there, bar one navigational mishap, it was long straight roads to Highway 5, the West Coast Highway; I’d actually planned to go further to the beach road, but it was pissing it down incontinently, and none of us wanted to go further than we had to.

It was so bad, we stopped to look at the map.

”Our shortest option is to retrace our steps on those long, tedious straight roads”

”I didn’t think they were too boring, but I’m not sure I would say that again”

“Or we could go back down to Kapar and the Federal Highway, but that’s a long way on this highway, and for all that this weather is pish, it always tips down stair-rods in Khang”

”so what are you saying, Cowboy?”

“Tough it out; don’t turn back; never surrender; Brexit means Brexit...”

”You’re gibbering; how are we going to get home?”

”Up the road, to almost Kuala Selangor, right at Kuala Sungai Buloh and back via the planned road”

”That means riding towards the rain”

”If you want, you can find your own way home”. For a moment, I thought I might have pushed it too far, but common sense prevailed.

It really is a nice ride home, through the quietest of villages, and only briefly marred by M looking over his shoulder and saying “It’s sunny in Kuala Selangor now”

”Shut up and keep cycling; at this pace we can keep under the rain all afternoon”

Anyway, it cleared, and by a combination of good fortune and brisk persistence we dried out a little and got to the pub with only marginal discomfort.

And we did get the benefit of the most remarkably considerate driving I have ever seen.  As you come up the road from Saujana Utama, just before the bridge, there is a challenging right turn into a lane that runs by the river.  It’s easy enough to pull out in front of the traffic behind you, but the traffic going the other way, accelerating down from the bridge... Today, a bloke in a pickup understood what we wanted to do, gently stopped with his hazards on and flashed us across.

By far the kindest, but not the only good driving we saw today.  I see far more good car drivers on my bike than in my car

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

I was out with the Bangsar Cycling Group, and just as we got back to TTDI, a few drops of rain started to fall.  It had eased off by the time I got to the pub across from home, but I thought it prudent to stop, just in case; and sure enough, three pints later it’s tipping down stair-rods, and I could be stuck here some time....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were heading up the hill on the highway, and there was a Bangladeshi bloke half way up ahead of us “Do you think we can catch him before the crest?”

”Course we can!”

and I called out a cheery ‘good morning’ as we sailed past.

”I bet that’s how Chris Froome felt in the Giro last year”

A couple of kilometres later we merged paths with a gentleman on a folding bike, who was not so easy to catch up, and I felt less like Chris Froome

• Like 2

Today we took a ride out to the Zoo - that was easy enough.  Jalan Zoo View goes up behind the zoo, and it's got some steep sections, and some very steep sections.  I dismounted before one to walk, so that I could converse coherently with the dog that was standing in the road; a friendly fellow, fortunately, as I knew on that gradient I could not outrun him either in my shoes or in my pedals.

We knew the road was blocked, but we were not sure if all the paths and lanes and drainage ditches were also blocked.  A slippery slope, a damaged barbed wire fence and we were through. 

IMG_0404.thumb.JPG.3e24e38f421d298540c642f9f31f8d94.JPG

Unfortunately, the road on the far side did not go back down to the highway as I had expected, but meandered somewhat upwards.  I was running low on water, and suggested we divert into what looked like a township, but turned out to be as desolate as the forests around, albeit with more houses.  We stopped to look at the map and consider our options.

"That steep hill is our shortest way, but I recommend back the way we came"

"It's only  a short hill"

"No repeating, no retreating" I cried as I set off up the hill, until my front wheel came up as I pulled on the handlebars and pushed on the pedals, but I was able to recover control and grind my way to the top.

The MRR2 (Middle Ring Road) is not a good road for cycling, and we decided to go back through the centre of town, regardless of whether that might be seen as retreating.  But first, M diverted us into a local Chinese coffee shop to take on fluids.  It's great, cycling with infrastructure boys - they're local everywhere.

Before long, we were back in the city, thanks to M's navigational talents, not mine, and home through familiar roads - the traffic chaos of Chow Kit, Putra World Trade Centre, past SId's in the Country, through the Time Tunnel, past the fire in the village behind us and powering up the hill from the village to the pubs... not all the way, I powered up about two-thirds, and then stalled, and M plodded steadily past me.

Anyway, it's not a race, and I gave it 100% in terms of distance, at least, and got all the way to the pub.

• Like 1

This morning, the second day of Hari Raya, I’d agreed to take A and Mrs A on a gentle ride; we cut out Desa Park City because the dirt road would be a bit soft, although it rained so much I’ll probably need to wash my bike this month anyway.

Traffic was light, for the holiday, the roads were nice, and we stopped for cider and pizza in Richfield Corner.  Up till then, the rain had been a gently cooling drizzle, but it got slightly heavier as we headed for home, and I took the shorter, faster route into BU junction; we got to the junction just as the lights were going green, but the guy at the back of the queue must have been uploading his ride report or twisting off a quick one “Oi! Drive on!” But I’d stopped too long and had to put my feet down.  When we did move off, I had to call out a warning to A in front of me about a car turning right from the left lane.  So not the standard of driving I have come to expect in KL, though there were several cases of people giving way when they could have pulled out in front.

We stopped for durian cendol outside TTDI wet market, and the fact that it tipped down stair-rods and we were stuck there for forty minutes was not the worst thing about it, unless you like durian.

Here’s the bikes, waiting patiently in the rain

CA1A347B-E7A7-43ED-A6BF-12AB3D6C06A5.thumb.jpeg.ae925c5713f81b9bd4090808584cfcb1.jpeg6E1D7B1F-1C81-4F9F-AB3E-BE807C000D48.thumb.jpeg.03a92ac05b73d5a6790622888c46045a.jpeg

• Like 2

My buddy is an accomplished racer and mechanic, and can’t bear to see people struggling with mechanicals.

’Just let me do it, it will be quicker for us all...’

B1C3CC9B-45C4-4BE8-AA28-41C48B6E5A22.jpeg.e80c5ad48edd04ce21467e85a9d57342.jpeg

On several occasions, though, he’s stopped one amongst us ‘steady on there, wind your wheel back...” and pulled out a nail or a pin or a piece of wire.

That’s me, looking knackered. I thought ‘the only way I’m going to get a rest is if I put a staple in the DPD’s tyre’

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2019 at 10:11 PM, StreetCowboy said:

My buddy is an accomplished racer and mechanic, and can’t bear to see people struggling with mechanicals.

’Just let me do it, it will be quicker for us all...’

B1C3CC9B-45C4-4BE8-AA28-41C48B6E5A22.jpeg.e80c5ad48edd04ce21467e85a9d57342.jpeg

On several occasions, though, he’s stopped one amongst us ‘steady on there, wind your wheel back...” and pulled out a nail or a pin or a piece of wire.

That’s me, looking knackered. I thought ‘the only way I’m going to get a rest is if I put a staple in the DPD’s tyre’

Looks as though you are in a lot of pain as well especially with the forks of that bike in your arm

• Like 1

Higher pressure definitely helps. I was riding my 700x23 tyres at around 80psi and got fed up with punctures from rim pinches.
I did a little research and realised my problem quickly, I needed much higher pressure.

I know I’ll jinx myself here but I’ve ridden with 100+ psi for 6 months without a puncture on my road bike. Although I haven’t been riding as much this year.

I’ve tried to ride through the winter to keep the legs in tune but I think the problem that causes is that I don’t have the enthusiasm level required in the spring to ride regularly. I’m probably only riding once every 10-14 days this year. I need motivation [emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MrTrip said:

Higher pressure definitely helps. I was riding my 700x23 tyres at around 80psi and got fed up with punctures from rim pinches.
I did a little research and realised my problem quickly, I needed much higher pressure.

I know I’ll jinx myself here but I’ve ridden with 100+ psi for 6 months without a puncture on my road bike. Although I haven’t been riding as much this year.

I’ve tried to ride through the winter to keep the legs in tune but I think the problem that causes is that I don’t have the enthusiasm level required in the spring to ride regularly. I’m probably only riding once every 10-14 days this year. I need motivation emoji848.pngemoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well as the pinch flats, the softer tyres sweep more area of the road, so you'll pick up more sharp objects.  Also, I think the softer tyres grip the objects better, and hold on to them until they work their way through the tyre.

For motivation I've enrolled in a criterium race this coming Sunday around KL Football Stadium. 

I've got no idea what to expect, other than a bit of abject humiliation being the first person to be lapped.

SC

• Like 2