Considering "Big Joke's" Actions, will agencies continue the way?

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, that may be one case, but I am sure it is not representative of all cases. However, if that is the outcome of his experiment using Filipino teachers, I am sure he will change methods. As I said, he is convinced the Filipinos will do a better job--as I said in a later post, he already conducted an experiment with Filipino teachers vs. NES teachers.

I have spoken to many of the parents. they are slowly moving away from sarasas schools that once were a beacon of native speakers. The parents don't understand why they have to pay so much and then get philipinoe. It will be another 20 years before they realise the whole experiment didn't work. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, greenchair said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but that test is for grade 9 students applying for a scholarship. 

The standard entrance with no scholarship does not require the test.

That's how I read it anyway. 

And also that is for harrow school in the UK, nothing to do with harrow in Thailand. 

And I may also be extremely wrong, but many years ago when harrow applied for accreditation from the UK, they were turned down. though that may not be the case now. 

The entrance exam is step 3 n the process. However, you did not say the student was going to school here in Thailand. However, it appears the same point. Those damn Filipino teachers got one more student accepted.

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

I have spoken to many of the parents. they are slowly moving away from sarasas schools that once were a beacon of native speakers. The parents don't understand why they have to pay so much and then get philipinoe. It will be another 20 years before they realise the whole experiment didn't work. 

Having a white face in the classroom is a standard expectation of Thai parents; most of whom do not speak English. However, as I said, this man has a different approach because he sees the current methods as less than successful. Yes, it will take some time to find out.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Having a white face in the classroom is a standard expectation of Thai parents; most of whom do not speak English. However, as I said, this man has a different approach because he sees the current methods as less than successful. Yes, it will take some time to find out.

In all honesty, it's not so much a plan as not being able to find native English speakers any longer.  Hiring a Filipino saves a few bob too.  It's a good strategy from this perspective.  And I like the way he is introducing video lessons, etc.

I see BJ has is still having a cracking time.  I still find it difficult to believe that there are so many NNES and illegal teachers (who aren't Filipino) in any school, let alone some international schools.  It doesn't stack up imo!

General BJ should rather start to crack down on the farang trouble makers...he could easy round up a few hundred regularly.....

Just hang out in the bars, look at the overbuilt steroid tatooed types talking agressively and shouting out loud for the entire bar, looking for fights every night.... ...round those chaps up on any charge (should not be to hard to invent if necessary),  accomodate them at the ladyboy ward in jail for a few nights  and then deport them.

It will be a far better service to Thai society,  rather then running after those english teachers or kitchen cooks who of course are easier to catch and more docile then the farang tatooed criminals who are a real threat.

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

The entrance exam is step 3 n the process. However, you did not say the student was going to school here in Thailand. However, it appears the same point. Those damn Filipino teachers got one more student accepted.

Not really the same point at all. Harrow international and indeed all international schools in Thailand, accept every application. Even if they fail the entrance test. In that case the parents just pay more for extra classes. 

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

He sees dollar signs is what he sees. 

50000 nes.

15000 philipinoe. 

It's all about the money.

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

In all honesty, it's not so much a plan as not being able to find native English speakers any longer.  Hiring a Filipino saves a few bob too.  It's a good strategy from this perspective.  And I like the way he is introducing video lessons, etc.

Gee, I am glad you are so informed on his plan. Did your TEFL course give you that insight?

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

Not really the same point at all. Harrow international and indeed all international schools in Thailand, accept every application. Even if they fail the entrance test. In that case the parents just pay more for extra classes. 

Yes, Harrow light will test him again and again. But, did the student pass the first time?

50000 nes.

15000 philipinoe. 

Don't know whereof you speak; here in the South it is NES 30k, and has been for 10 years. Whereas, Filipinos were B15k, but are now18-20k.

50000 nes.

15000 philipinoe. 

You didn't read what I said? No wonder you cannot keep up. There were three well observed reasons for choosing Filipinos--they work for less, they complain less, and they are more likely to meet the Thai qualifications. Keep up, my man, your arguments are getting shallower by the post.

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yes, Harrow light will test him again and again. But, did the student pass the first time?

The test is designed for everyone to pass. 

A monkey could do it. There is no such thing as failing an entrance test to an international school in Thailand. Children learn English from a variety of sources these days. School, outside tutoring, parents, and usually a Thai teacher also teaches English writing and grammar for their own scores. So you can't say that the child passed because of the philipinoe.but you can certainly say that the decimated English speech is from the philipinoe . Because it's distinctive to that country. 

You didn't read what I said? No wonder you cannot keep up. There were three well observed reasons for choosing Filipinos--they work for less, they complain less, and they are more likely to meet the Thai qualifications. Keep up, my man, your arguments are getting shallower by the post.

You are right. 

With the main reason being, they work for less. 

And the reason they Need to work for less, is the substandard quality of their spoken English. 

From 10 philipinoe English teachers, one can speak and write at a similar grammatical level as a nes.the other 9 fake their way through the interview, barely speak to the kids and their tests are full of grammatical errors. By the way, the really good philipinoe teachers, charge as much as a nes and sometimes more. 

Finally, people resort to name calling when they have nothing more of value to contribute or uphold their argument. 

Basically, you agree with me but you don't want to admit it. So thanks for that compliment. 

Don't know whereof you speak; here in the South it is NES 30k, and has been for 10 years. Whereas, Filipinos were B15k, but are now18-20k.

Same same but slight difference in numbers. 

Anyway, you agree philipinoes are half the price of foreigners. 

On 4/26/2018 at 8:44 PM, jenny2017 said:

But not having enough “qualified degreed teachers” who work for 30 K/month, it’s also possible that they just continue as there weren’t any warnings. They only want to make money and finally don’t care about their employees.

I'm aware that quite a few people don't have other chances to find employment other than through such agencies, but is it really worth to play Russian roulette?

There's still a chance to study for a Dip/TE, or if no degree, certain organizations also offer Bachelor degrees doable in three years with possible monthly installments.

While commendable that some people have put the effort in and studied at an online university in the Philippines, this in no way improves their level of English.

A diploma in education from a developing country that does not have English as a true first language is all good and dandy, but without subject matter knowledge it is pointless.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Gee, I am glad you are so informed on his plan. Did your TEFL course give you that insight?

No.  It's a great course though.  Try it some time!

What gave me the insight was a talk with the Head of English at my daughter's school, and years of experience in Thailand.

It's clear you have no experience about TEFL teaching in Thailand.

10 hours ago, greenchair said:

The test is designed for everyone to pass. 

A monkey could do it. There is no such thing as failing an entrance test to an international school in Thailand. Children learn English from a variety of sources these days. School, outside tutoring, parents, and usually a Thai teacher also teaches English writing and grammar for their own scores. So you can't say that the child passed because of the philipinoe.but you can certainly say that the decimated English speech is from the philipinoe . Because it's distinctive to that country. 

Ah, so the child is going to a school with little standards other than money, but already speaks English. Then why be so concerned the child speaks with an accent; as you say speech is learned in many ways. How many awful local accents come from native English speakers--the US, Australia, or specifically, the UK? Me thinks your bias is showing.

10 hours ago, greenchair said:

You are right. 

With the main reason being, they work for less. 

And the reason they Need to work for less, is the substandard quality of their spoken English. 

From 10 philipinoe English teachers, one can speak and write at a similar grammatical level as a nes.the other 9 fake their way through the interview, barely speak to the kids and their tests are full of grammatical errors. By the way, the really good philipinoe teachers, charge as much as a nes and sometimes more. 

Finally, people resort to name calling when they have nothing more of value to contribute or uphold their argument. 

Basically, you agree with me but you don't want to admit it. So thanks for that compliment. 

Again, you seemed to have missed it. I am relating what my neighbor, a Thai school official, is planning to do at his school and I have shared with you the reasons he says he is doing it. You may have missed the final point my Thai friend made; that the students may be more comfortable learning English from someone who looks more like them.

You keep repeating the Filipino accent; as if I have denied it. Now you come up with statistics about Filipino English teachers; what are your sources?   I can certainly point out NES teachers who cannot properly write or speak. With attitudes like yours, I find it difficult to think anyone would pay Filipino English teachers the same or even more than NES. Although, it may make sense, if as you say, they are really good teachers. Finally, I do not agree that learning English with a Filipino accent is a bad thing; if they learn English. Accents change with association.

11 hours ago, greenchair said:

Same same but slight difference in numbers. 

Anyway, you agree philipinoes are half the price of foreigners. 

You keep trying to say I agree with you. Seeking validation are you? I am the one who brought forth these numbers, I mentioned less pay in my original post on this subject, and I have known about Filipino wages since I first encountered the PhilCag civilians in Vietnam over 50 years ago.

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

No.  It's a great course though.  Try it some time!

What gave me the insight was a talk with the Head of English at my daughter's school, and years of experience in Thailand.

It's clear you have no experience about TEFL teaching in Thailand.

Gee, yes, I guess I should be impressed with a course which can be taken in four weeks and costs as little as $199.

32 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Ah, so the child is going to a school with little standards other than money, but already speaks English. Then why be so concerned the child speaks with an accent; as you say speech is learned in many ways. How many awful local accents come from native English speakers--the US, Australia, or specifically, the UK? Me thinks your bias is showing.

What does speaks English mean? 

There are advertisements stating, study 3 months, we promise you will speak English or give a full refund. At the end of 3 months the student can ask and answer a few basic questions. The advertisement is factual. Thais that learn with thai teachers also speak English. the lady at the mama shop speaks English. Can they have a full conversation, that would be suitable to a child of their age. Well no. 

So, yes I am biased. Because I am one the parents that paid 350,000 for my child to learn English with a native speaker. Only to find out the school hides the

non ns until after the fees are paid. Then feeds me the same bs you are about why I pay a lot but get little. The trouble is, we pay a large non refundable entrance fee which we cannot get back after discovering we have been lied too. So that's where my bias come from. Please don't pull the pitty me racist card in the reply. It's getting so old now. 

8 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You keep trying to say I agree with you. Seeking validation are you? I am the one who brought forth these numbers, I mentioned less pay in my original post on this subject, and I have known about Filipino wages since I first encountered the PhilCag civilians in Vietnam over 50 years ago.

Try to stay in the 20ieth century .

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

What does speaks English mean? 

There are advertisements stating, study 3 months, we promise you will speak English or give a full refund. At the end of 3 months the student can ask and answer a few basic questions. The advertisement is factual. Thais that learn with thai teachers also speak English. the lady at the mama shop speaks English. Can they have a full conversation, that would be suitable to a child of their age. Well no. 

So, yes I am biased. Because I am one the parents that paid 350,000 for my child to learn English with a native speaker. Only to find out the school hides the

non ns until after the fees are paid. Then feeds me the same bs you are about why I pay a lot but get little. The trouble is, we pay a large non refundable entrance fee which we cannot get back after discovering we have been lied too. So that's where my bias come from. Please don't pull the pitty me racist card in the reply. It's getting so old now. 

Well, then how about pity you the poor befuddle parent?  You didn't do any checking beforehand, just handed your child over to charlatans? And, the racist card never gets old as long as it still lives and breaths.

On 4/30/2018 at 7:47 PM, smotherb said:

My impression of NES teachers here is from those I have known well over the last eleven years; including my son and his friends and my wife and her friends.

So you are not married to a Thai, and all of your son's friends and your wife's friends are NES.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:31 PM, jenny2017 said:

Please go to one of the famous Rajabhat universities nationwide and try to find a good English speaking senior student. 

IMO, the level of English isn't better as it was 15 years ago and that means a lot.

Feel free to come and chat to some of my 3rd and 4th year students, they would run rings round you , if your spoken English is as appalling as your written work.

Kettle,pot,black. Though you probably, (as a Non-NES), won't understand what that means.

Archived