Sin Jai

1FinickyOne

It's "to die", and not particularly euphemistic.  The "สิ้น" part translates as "to be finished".

The RID defines it as สิ้นใจ ก. ขาดใจ, ตาย, เช่น เขาพึ่งสิ้นใจเมื่อเที่ยงนี้เอง, สิ้นลม หมดลม หรือ หมดอายุ ก็ว่า. 

does this have connotation like 'gave up'  perhaps in English.. "Last night his heart finally gave way/gave up"

To pass away I believe best choice is 'sia cheewit' เสียชีวิต   Would be the only formal way I would be comfortable talking about someone dying. 

Why might a speaker use "Sin Jai"?

29 minutes ago, surfdog said:

does this have connotation like 'gave up'  perhaps in English.. "Last night his heart finally gave way/gave up"

To pass away I believe best choice is 'sia cheewit' เสียชีวิต   Would be the only formal way I would be comfortable talking about someone dying. 

Why might a speaker use "Sin Jai"?

yes, that is sort of the heart of my question... maybe someone could use it with English translation around it... I never really hear it in terms of someone actually dying... more an exxagerated - - if i don't have money, sin jai --  is htat where it is used?

It depends on how you spell it; since you have introduced money, it could be สินใช้ .

สิ้น definitely means that the object is exhausted so if the object was money, สิ้นสิน would be a good play on words, although I have never heard it used. 

สิ้นลม, สิ้นชีวา  สิ้นใจ  สิ้นบุญ they and maybe others, are all euphemisms for ตาย. 

Here is a construction which I have wanted to try for some time using ตราบ with the meaning “whenever”. 

สิ้นทรัพสินตราบใด ก็จะสื้นใจตราบนั้น 

I have just asked a Thai friend who speaks good English and he translated it as “Once running out of assets, it is doom day”.  So you see he couldn’t interpret สิ้นใจ literally.  

On 4/26/2018 at 3:04 PM, Oxx said:

It's "to die", and not particularly euphemistic.  The "สิ้น" part translates as "to be finished".

The RID defines it as สิ้นใจ ก. ขาดใจ, ตาย, เช่น เขาพึ่งสิ้นใจเมื่อเที่ยงนี้เอง, สิ้นลม หมดลม หรือ หมดอายุ ก็ว่า. 

what is the RID ?

12 minutes ago, chubby said:

what is the RID ?

The Royal Institute Dictionary (พจนานุกรม ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน).  It's the official (and prescriptive) dictionary of the Thai language.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:31 PM, tgeezer said:

It depends on how you spell it; since you have introduced money, it could be สินใช้ .

สิ้น definitely means that the object is exhausted so if the object was money, สิ้นสิน would be a good play on words, although I have never heard it used. 

สิ้นลม, สิ้นชีวา  สิ้นใจ  สิ้นบุญ they and maybe others, are all euphemisms for ตาย. 

Here is a construction which I have wanted to try for some time using ตราบ with the meaning “whenever”. 

สิ้นทรัพสินตราบใด ก็จะสื้นใจตราบนั้น 

I have just asked a Thai friend who speaks good English and he translated it as “Once running out of assets, it is doom day”.  So you see he couldn’t interpret สิ้นใจ literally.  

thanks all - - that would cover it best, the context in which I hear it most frequently - - that someone might be running low on funds and doomsday is approaching... 

Archived