Workaround to activate online banking for Bangkok Bank on a Tourist Visa (NO WP)?

carlinternational

Hello,

This thread is to get experiences from people living in Thailand with a tourist visa or visa exemption stamp only:

I don't have work permit and yesterday I got a Bangkok Bank account with UnionPay debit card, but they said I can't get online banking because I don't have working permit.

I tried to activate online with my debit card and pin and I got the error: "You are unable to apply this service". Same error in ATM machine. Today I tried to go to a different branch and they said they can't activate online banking if I don't have work permit.

Anyone using Bangkok Bank online banking with tourist visa or visa exemption? I will be happy to open a new Bangkok Bank account in a different branch in case I hear experiences from someone having online banking on tourist visa from that branch.

Bangkok Bank puts Tourists and Non-Immigrants in the same boat wrt signing up for their iBanking service.   http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/Default.aspx

I ran into the "Can Not" brick wall on iBanking 6 years ago, on a Non-O/Marriage.   Persistence was key, finally got it set up.  Believe we spoke to branch manager. 

Opened accounts with Krungsi Bank later, zero hassle getting internet banking. 

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:
You already recently bragged in another thread how you opened 3 different accounts in 3 days.

Now this?

Something odd about all this why do you need so many accounts??

I just proved that anyone can open an account without working visa following the requirements asked by the banks in their websites.

This is for Bangkok Bank, one of the three accounts I opened. Having online Banking available seems the most normal request to track the account and pay bills without paying for sms banking or having to go to the branch.

I see something odd seeing you in every thread I open. If you are bored maybe you could go to those bars where you judge other people:

This thread is to hear experiences from people that were able to activate Bangkok Bank online banking following their website requirements for tourist visa holders:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/Default.aspx

IMG_7923.thumb.JPG.be98ff52546cf55cae970e0b678b8bf9.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I believe with Bangkok Bank at least, there is no way Jose on online banking on tourist status.

Two ways around, e.g. O-visa or a freindly Thai resident who will register you at their address. (Not sure if a non-thai resident can do this for you)

On 26/04/2018 at 11:30 PM, 55Jay said:

Bangkok Bank puts Tourists and Non-Immigrants in the same boat wrt signing up for their iBanking service.   http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/Default.aspx

I ran into the "Can Not" brick wall on iBanking 6 years ago, on a Non-O/Marriage.   Persistence was key, finally got it set up.  Believe we spoke to branch manager. 

Opened accounts with Krungsi Bank later, zero hassle getting internet banking. 

Good luck.

I was able to open an account at Bangkok Bank including online banking.

My girlfriend got her village headman to come to the bank and sign to say that I was who I said.

At the time I was just on holiday here in Thailand.

My current challenge is to get a credit card without marriage or work permit now that I'm here on an O-A visa.

50 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

My girlfriend got her village headman to come to the bank and sign to say that I was who I said.

My current challenge is to get a credit card without marriage or work permit now that I'm here on an O-A visa.

Me too, just took a lot of extra patience and resolve, exacerbated by the fact the BBL Branch was outside a main city/metro area and wasn't used to dealing with foreigners, Visas, etc. 

It certainly wouldn't have happened without my wife present.  The adolescent unprofessionalism was strong with the female bank employee we had to deal with.  Finally bypassed her, which of course, sent her further into Broken Face LaLaLand but by then, I didn't give a shit.  At some point, you have to escalate to avoid the totally unnecessary, low level BS.

18 hours ago, carlinternational said:

Good news! Following the steps I related above, I just got a welcome SMS to online banking.

Flat Earthers, here is the proof:

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

I am with TMB and have been using online banking since 2009. In April 2014 I got a letter from TMB head office to say that my visa details that they had on record did not match the regulations required for online banking and that if I did not visit the branch with a long term visa by the 1st July then access to online banking would be withdrawn.

When I went to the branch the manager told me that new regulations had been introduced in the January of that year. In the latter part of 2014 there were some posts on here of people complaining that they had lost access to online banking.

It is fairly obvious from what has been posted over the last couple of years that different banks are putting their own interpretation on what is required. Whether the BOT regulations allow discretion or not is anyone's guess.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, sandyf said:

It is fairly obvious from what has been posted over the last couple of years that different banks are putting their own interpretation on what is required. Whether the BOT regulations allow discretion or not is anyone's guess.

Touch wood, I've managed to avoid any online banking issues with BB.  My account was opened on a 30-day visa exempt with just my passport and wife in tow and 25 minutes later left with a savings account, online banking and a Visa debit card.  Used MIL's address and never had a problem for the past six years. 

It would be a royal pain in butt if I didn't have access to the online banking service, particularly as we live in the UK and only visit twice a year.  Fingers crossed that I got in early enough to avoid all the current nonsense regulations.  

45 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Touch wood, I've managed to avoid any online banking issues with BB.  My account was opened on a 30-day visa exempt with just my passport and wife in tow and 25 minutes later left with a savings account, online banking and a Visa debit card.  Used MIL's address and never had a problem for the past six years. 

It would be a royal pain in butt if I didn't have access to the online banking service, particularly as we live in the UK and only visit twice a year.  Fingers crossed that I got in early enough to avoid all the current nonsense regulations.  

Hope it works for you. My account was opened in 2000, also on visa exempt and address as Room 235 Apex Hotel. In 2009 I got online banking without a problem, it wasn't until 2014 they questioned the visa details. At that point in time I had a multi Non O and they said that was ok.

What caught a lot of people out was that they sent the letter out by post and was not received in time by some that were away. I now have selected all correspondence by email. If you have that facility worth doing if not already done.

Know what you mean, I would be up the creek without a paddle if I lost the online facilities on my UK account.

Good advice, sandyf.  Hopefully the wind has blown over by now as appears that 2014 was the key point in time.  But, you never know.

Will check the app to see if there's an email option, though appear to receive regular updates via email and within the app and have never received any correspondence to my MIL's address anyhow.

On 03/05/2018 at 11:43 AM, Billthekiwi said:

That should not be a challenge, all you usually have to do is lock up the credit limit (or sometimes twice the limit) in an account that you can't withdraw from and the bank will issue a card limited based on that account.

Archived