Drunk tourist knocks tooth out of volunteer foreign policeman in Walking Street arrest

webfact

Drunk tourist knocks tooth out of volunteer foreign policeman in Walking Street arrest

D3C98535-4A19-4599-816F-606D119EA11F.jpg

Siam Chon News reported that a drunk foreign tourist - arrested for not paying his bar tab - then attacked a Russian volunteer tourist policeman at the checkpoint by the entrance to Walking Street, South Pattaya.

Mervyn Michael, 58, was apparently already in custody when a fight broke out with forty eight year old volunteer Vyacheslav Cherepanov in which an upper left tooth was knocked out of his mouth.

The cop went to hospital while the tourist was detained.

The incident happened around 1 am this morning.

Siam Chon News said that the tourist's nationality was not clear.

Source: Siamchon News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-27

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this incident will bring home the message that Police volunteers are there to help with translation/explanations etc "NOT" dress up like they are in a swat team and arrest/detain people or enforce the law. They are not police and have no police powers and should stop acting like they do.

Some off topic and troll posts have been removed, there is no excuse for hitting another person in or out of a uniform so lets discuss that please:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Once again, people knock the volunteer Tourist police. No pay, long hours dealing with drunk idiots, buy all their own gear and uniforms and generally assist folks with problems or just advice into the early hours of the morning, and are in danger of getting hurt while doing so. There is also some serious misunderstanding of what they have the right to do. If under supervision and/or orders by Thai officers they DO have the right to detain, restrain and otherwise do what is necessary in all situations.

Whether the volunteers have police powers or not, it is all about what the average man on the street perceives.   If something looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck,  then it probably is a duck.     

If a drunk ran amuck and knocked a cop's tooth out in my part of the world, he would end up at the station with his own face banged up beyond recognition.    The fellow in this incident has much to be thankful for. 

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

And almost everybody blaming or making a joke out of the police. Unfathomable!

It would be unfathonable were that the case, however most of the replies seem to be (rightly) supportive of the tourist police.

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

If a drunk ran amuck and knocked a cop's tooth out in my part of the world, he would end up at the station with his own face banged up beyond recognition.    The fellow in this incident has much to be thankful for. 

And which developing nation do you come from? Some former soviet state, south-america or south-africa maybe?

In my home country the cop who would bang up someones face beyond recognition will end up in jail by default. 

Punishments will be handed down by a judge, not cops.

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Hopefully this incident will bring home the message that Police volunteers are there to help with translation/explanations etc "NOT" dress up like they are in a swat team and arrest/detain people or enforce the law. They are not police and have no police powers and should stop acting like they do.

Do you really want to take away their only pleasure? :wink:

4 hours ago, nausea said:

I think you have to punch pretty hard to knock out a natural healthy tooth with your fist. I suspect the tooth was defective or weakened in some way.

That won't matter, the volunteer with help from his police buddies can now get an implant tooth for 70k and present the bill to the drunk,that should sober him up.

5 hours ago, alwaysrainsinUK said:

His accent sounds like that from Northern Ireland where he says he has his own house .

HE IS,

the man nothing but trouble, he has a reputation for this sort of behavior, he had a similar incident about 18 month ago in walking street with a lady boy it made the SUN newspapers in Ireland and the UK. he lives in a village in Pattaya where a friend of mine lives the mans a nightmare.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There are a few good guys actually helping the Tourist Police but many of them are "Want-A-Bes",causing more harm then good.

43 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Two idiots. A drunk one and one whose living some fantasy.

Thailand doesn't need either type.

You don't know that. I did volunteer tourist police work in Chiang Mai, admittedly there were a few out of the 90 or so of us who thought they were Rambo but most of us did it out of release from boredom.It was sometimes good fun but we were often pushed forward by the real tourist police to sort things out while they stood back and watched, it was sometimes downright dangerous. I speak English,German and Thai so I was a favourite to be hauled up next to the interrogating officer where I basically did the interrogation. Through this, apart from meeting some of the dregs of farang society, I was able to advise,warn and help those farang who either weren't to drunk or drugged up to be helped. The favourite was insurance scams, my room has been robbed, after listening I would advise them quietly that if this was an insurance scam not to sign the statement because officers would now be on their way to search their room, just say you were tired, had a bit to drink,it's all a mistake, don't sign anything and you can leave, about 70% just left. Some, many women, had been robbed and just wanted a farang shoulder to cry on but didn't know or were too shocked to ring up home and cancel credit cards so I arranged to find out telephone numbers and tell them how to arrange for emergency money to be sent from their foreign accounts to a temporary Thai account, often this was done in our free time (I wasn't alone in my endeavours). Also many of us found that each had become a favourite of one establishment or other and would be rung up privately instead of the real police when there was trouble with farang because we handled things quietly and discreetly thereby often assuming (lying) to powers that we didn't have but it solved problems and avoided arrests and of course we would get one or two free beers out of it. All in all I can say that before I left to go to Isaan I did a useful job and had saved many know it all farangs from jail time.

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so how did a suspect in custody who should be handcuffed with his arms behind his back knock Ivan's tooth out?

This is a rhetorical question. 

Which, of course, deserves a rhetorical answer.      :cheesy:

Archived