Drunk tourist knocks tooth out of volunteer foreign policeman in Walking Street arrest

webfact

8 hours ago, oxforddon said:

Any objections to foreign tourist police assistants or other such police should be leveled at the Royal Thai Police departments that created these groups and either suggested or sanctioned their uniforms, equipment, responsibilities and duties. The Thai police obviously feel a need for them and they are found and still recruited in other major cities inThailand. I can understand objections to any foreign volunteer who takes himself too seriously but maintain they are the exceptions and generally such volunteers provide a useful service.

No this is a forum ,  we can object to them if we want here.

you don't make the rules here.

That's a bit funny you thinking your interchange here as well. :1zgarz5:

The police have people to do there job.  how Thai is that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the Thai police do the policing,   they don't need our help to be policemen.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I'm concerned, they can go home and join the cops wherever they come from if they have a need to wear a uniform and stick their noses into other people's business.

Probably tried that already but didn't get accepted

On 27/04/2018 at 8:15 PM, soalbundy said:

You don't know that. I did volunteer tourist police work in Chiang Mai, admittedly there were a few out of the 90 or so of us who thought they were Rambo but most of us did it out of release from boredom.It was sometimes good fun but we were often pushed forward by the real tourist police to sort things out while they stood back and watched, it was sometimes downright dangerous. I speak English,German and Thai so I was a favourite to be hauled up next to the interrogating officer where I basically did the interrogation. Through this, apart from meeting some of the dregs of farang society, I was able to advise,warn and help those farang who either weren't to drunk or drugged up to be helped. The favourite was insurance scams, my room has been robbed, after listening I would advise them quietly that if this was an insurance scam not to sign the statement because officers would now be on their way to search their room, just say you were tired, had a bit to drink,it's all a mistake, don't sign anything and you can leave, about 70% just left. Some, many women, had been robbed and just wanted a farang shoulder to cry on but didn't know or were too shocked to ring up home and cancel credit cards so I arranged to find out telephone numbers and tell them how to arrange for emergency money to be sent from their foreign accounts to a temporary Thai account, often this was done in our free time (I wasn't alone in my endeavours). Also many of us found that each had become a favourite of one establishment or other and would be rung up privately instead of the real police when there was trouble with farang because we handled things quietly and discreetly thereby often assuming (lying) to powers that we didn't have but it solved problems and avoided arrests and of course we would get one or two free beers out of it. All in all I can say that before I left to go to Isaan I did a useful job and had saved many know it all farangs from jail time.

well done :clap2:

9 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

No this is a forum ,  we can object to them if we want here.

you don't make the rules here.

That's a bit funny you thinking your interchange here as well. :1zgarz5:

The police have people to do there job.  how Thai is that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the Thai police do the policing,   they don't need our help to be policemen.

Actually they do, it's all a matter of language problems, the volunteers were comprised of many nationalities, even Thais who could speak several languages, the idea was to defuse situations by talking, a drunk from Birmingham or a semi literate cockney is hard enough for an Englishman to understand let alone a tourist policeman with only a poor command of English. I have had to deal with drunk Germans who spoke no English, I have a Bavarian accent when I speak German and a giant Bavarian who was ready to pull the bar apart came over and hugged me when he heard me speak to him, end of the problem, the real police just looked on perplexed. The police admit themselves that they are out of their depth when dealing with farang, apart from the language problem there is a cultural one.  

So why do they do other things like pulling over people for no

crash helmets or checking driving licences, just to mention a few things.

that do not require a falang to do.

plenty of Thais could be employed,   for this translation service.

Some tourists need to learn about cultural difference the hard way, not let off

by some interfering Falang cop

Thais should do all policing in Thailand, not Falangs

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

So why do they do other things like pulling over people for no

crash helmets or checking driving licences, just to mention a few things.

that do not require a falang to do.

Also to think no Thai's can speck in a different language is , just disgraceful of you.

plenty of Thais could be employed,   for this translation service.

SPECK in a different language ? Some of the tourist police speak excellent English but not many and even they have trouble understanding drunks, we had two women translators in the office but that wasn't enough and you need people on the street to defuse situations so that arrests aren't necessary. Thais in general have poor language skills, a Thai with a good command of English won't work for nothing, those few Thais that we did have were students.

As for checking driving licenses etc that isn't the job of the tourist police or the criminal police, the highway police are responsible for that and I don't believe that they have volunteers so they were operating outside their remit and should be reported, there are always some who let it go their heads and should (and would be) thrown out, similarly there are some who think that the laws of their own country apply here, I once experienced an American volunteer who stood up for the rights of a farang being handed over to the criminal police so vehemently that he got himself arrested. Volunteers do a lot of work for the tourist police and it's free so sometimes the boss may try and overstep the mark by asking us to go into certain bars and act as informers on seen or heard drug deals, that was always refused. 

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

SPECK in a different language ? Some of the tourist police speak excellent English but not many and even they have trouble understanding drunks, we had two women translators in the office but that wasn't enough and you need people on the street to defuse situations so that arrests aren't necessary. Thais in general have poor language skills, a Thai with a good command of English won't work for nothing, those few Thais that we did have were students.

As for checking driving licenses etc that isn't the job of the tourist police or the criminal police, the highway police are responsible for that and I don't believe that they have volunteers so they were operating outside their remit and should be reported, there are always some who let it go their heads and should (and would be) thrown out, similarly there are some who think that the laws of their own country apply here, I once experienced an American volunteer who stood up for the rights of a farang being handed over to the criminal police so vehemently that he got himself arrested. Volunteers do a lot of work for the tourist police and it's free so sometimes the boss may try and overstep the mark by asking us to go into certain bars and act as informers on seen or heard drug deals, that was always refused. 

Shame you were waiting in the wings,  to be so quick,  before i could correct my post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea it was a spelling and grammar test on Tv. 

you strike me as one more guy wanting to be in charge on Tv !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

where do you get that sort of behaviour from :cheesy:

As for your post, no your not required.

just used as lackeys to do the cops jobs.

If you were all gone tomorrow. life would carry on 

fine in Thailand for the tourists and the cops.

Thank you for the information,

that its the high way cops only pulling people up on bikes round pattaya

and not the regular cops from soi 9. and they also never use Falangs to to

this, I must have been mistaken, many apologies.

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Shame you were waiting in the wings,  to be so quick,  before i could correct my post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea it was a spelling and grammar test on Tv. 

you strike me as one more guy wanting to be in charge on Tv !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

where do you get that sort of behaviour from :cheesy:

As for your post, no your not required.

just used as lackeys to do the cops jobs.

If you were all gone tomorrow. life would carry on 

fine in Thailand for the tourists and the cops.

Thank you for the information,

that its the high way cops only pulling people up on bikes round pattaya

and not the regular cops from soi 9. and they also never use Falangs to to

this, I must have been mistaken, many apologies.

No need to get so emotional. Yes regular police put up roadblocks and check licenses as opposed to highway police actively following and stopping people, they do it where I live as well but I have never seen a volunteer doing that, I can't imagine why that would be necessary, IMO it isn't, I can only see a reason for the tourist police volunteers due to language problems and de-escalation of situations before they get volatile which should be their only function, volunteers aren't police and have no powers at all nor should they have. The name ought to be changed to volunteer tourist assistants since the word police conjures up an idea power. If the regular police are using them (borrowed for cash from the tourist police ? ) they will have their reasons but I find that a misuse, I certainly wouldn't have done it. The last time I was involved with them was 13 years ago so I don't know how much has changed since then.

Sorry about the 'speck' I found it funny since you used it in conjunction with language ability.

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Actually they do, it's all a matter of language problems, the volunteers were comprised of many nationalities, even Thais who could speak several languages, the idea was to defuse situations by talking, a drunk from Birmingham or a semi literate cockney is hard enough for an Englishman to understand let alone a tourist policeman with only a poor command of English. I have had to deal with drunk Germans who spoke no English, I have a Bavarian accent when I speak German and a giant Bavarian who was ready to pull the bar apart came over and hugged me when he heard me speak to him, end of the problem, the real police just looked on perplexed. The police admit themselves that they are out of their depth when dealing with farang, apart from the language problem there is a cultural one.  

I'd be more convinced of their need if they were in all areas of Pattaya and not just Walking Street. How come other areas don't need their presence, and don't even need a police presence?

If someone is causing a problem, they can call the cops like they do in every other area of Pattaya. There were never any cops of any description on W S for years after it opened, so why did it suddenly need them? I never saw any significant problems on it. 

My biggest complaint is that they don't do anything about the child exploitation that goes on openly. That is a crime, and it is ignored.

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You seem to know a lot about it, so please explain why ONLY on W S and not other bar areas of Pattaya? What makes W S so special?

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You seem to know a lot about it, so please explain why ONLY on W S and not other bar areas of Pattaya? What makes W S so special?

don't know about Pattaya or BKK, I was in Chiang Mai. Our boss told us that compared to Pattaya the police in Chiang Mai had it easy, whatever. 

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, soalbundy said:

don't know about Pattaya or BKK, I was in Chiang Mai. Our boss told us that compared to Pattaya the police in Chiang Mai had it easy, whatever. 

I've never seen a TPV in C M, and I walk up Loi Kroh at night a lot. So where do they hang out up here?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never seen a TPV in C M, and I walk up Loi Kroh at night a lot. So where do they hang out up here?

I left them 13 years ago so I don't know anything about them anymore, sorry

Archived