What does this particle at the end of a sentence mean?

bbi1

I don’t think that anyone can tell you what แหม่ะ means without the preceding sentence.  The tone would make it mild disappointment or resignation perhaps. I have a book with common usage I will look it up later. 

4 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I don’t think that anyone can tell you what แหม่ะ means without the preceding sentence.  The tone would make it mild disappointment or resignation perhaps. I have a book with common usage I will look it up later. 

Preceding that particle it said: want to know "someone's name" then it had that particle at the end.

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Preceding that particle it said: want to know "someone's name" then it had that particle at the end.

My book calls these words คำเสริม , and groups them under headings, there is only one for questions demanding an answer:  ละ กับ ล่ะ the tone dependant on the question. 

It is only spoken language and I think that we have to let these words ‘grow’ on us. 

eg. ไปกันกี่คนล่ะ 

คุณจะไปละหรือ 

There are more examples, good luck to you if you can find any reason to use one over the other. 

Neither ละ หรือ ล่ะ is in the 1st tone (low). In แหมะ the tone mark is redundant so there is no telling what tone was said. 

These words are not codified in grammar because they are not prose, so whatever meaning you take from this one can’t be gainsaid sensibly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived