3 Burmese Arrested For Alleged Rape of US Tourist

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no real solid info in this story. impossible to draw any conclusions.

should be good for 15 pages of TV speculation.

Yes, totally agree. These armchair detectives kick off with theories then the conclusion with the victim ending up as the main suspect ................ :passifier:

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would be surprised if she agreed to accommodate all 3 of them in a toilet. Just doesn't sound likely.

But you're not surprised that a tourist would be happy to drink with a number of Burmese construction workers that she had never met before?  Doesn't sound likely.

They reported the story in yesterday's Thairath which makes no mention of the attack taking place in the grocery store toilet.

Rather, after drinking together, the girl got up and went to relieve herself in a secluded place at the side of the road, away from the store. They followed her, the attack taking place under a tamarind tree. The attacker(s) claim it was consensual and that she had been flirting with them beforehand, her American friend (male) not seeming to mind.

Subsequently she picked them out in an identity parade after the police had arrested them in their nearby lodgings.

Probably she was consensual with one; but the guys thought she'd said yes to all of them. When she sobered up and afraid she'd have to explain an unexpected pregnancy or STD, then she cried 'rape'. A poor judgement on her part is gonna get these guys lives ruined.  I want to hear what the boyfriend has to say.

On 4/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, BEVUP said:

That's an interesting question

Must of been a whole 20 mtrs away behind the shop (maybe also an external rear door for the shop as well )

Wouldn't one think it was strange that the whole 3 of them followed her to the toilet

Where were the sounds of screaming or a struggle before the time they had to (maybe ) gag her 

So during the struggle how long would it of taken 3 men to rape her ( maybe longer then 5 minutes )

At that stage it seems like her boyfriend wasn't worried 

I know some 7/Eleven stores do have bench seats outside, a couple of branches have these near to where I live.

It is possible that the Burmese men started chatting to the couple, just being friendly and when the woman decided to walk to the toilet, the three Burmese men maybe a minute or two later also got up and the boyfriend just thought the men were leaving to go wherever they were going and had no reasons to suspect they were following his girlfriend. All perfectly feasible. It is also possible that there were no people around the toilet area at the time. As for the time period of the rapes, most women I know usually take ages when using toilets so the boyfriend had no reasons to suspect anything was wrong. It could be the woman was too scared to shout out or the men held a hand over her mouth. Also taking into consideration that even if the men were seen raping the woman, many people will turn away and prefer not to get involved or they could have thought it was just a bunch of people having a sex session in the toilets and turned a blind eye to it.

It appears to me that those men were opportunists, and took advantage of the situation.

Chiangmai City Life has a different account of the story.  They say the attack took place after the victim went to relieve herself in nearby bushes (i.e. not in the shop toilet).  They also say the person with the girl was female.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/three-burmese-men-arrested-sexually-assaulting-american-woman-doi-saket/

apart from consent or not why is almost everybody so convinced that Burmese people are not capable of horrendous crimes?

Does anyone read the news daily, ..................?????????

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

But you're not surprised that a tourist would be happy to drink with a number of Burmese construction workers that she had never met before?  Doesn't sound likely.

No, I can see that happening. I have certainly sat down to drink with a  few 'local people' who appeared friendly, It is what young people do. And it wasn't a tourist but a couple.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, petermik said:

She went to the restroom where the 3 Burmese allegedly followed and "gang raped" her......so what was the boyfriend doing during this time and was he not alarmed when the men all left at a similar time to her.....strange :whistling:

Perhaps he has the answer. 

Ok, this is just sh!tty reporting. The "attack" actually happened near the Alcazar. One of the guys was dressed up as a construction worker as he is in a Village People tribute band. The other two were not Burmese, but dark skinned Isaan guys. It was not a woman was attacked, but a long haired man with no muscles (think most Europeans). And, yes, there were no shouts or screams as he was enjoying the impromptu get together in the glory hole bathroom.

Case closed!

5 hours ago, hgma said:

apart from consent or not why is almost everybody so convinced that Burmese people are not capable of horrendous crimes?

Does anyone read the news daily, ..................?????????

No one is saying that the Burmese were not capable of doing this , its just been said that the circumstances seem irregular .

7 hours ago, IslandLover said:

Chiangmai City Life has a different account of the story.  They say the attack took place after the victim went to relieve herself in nearby bushes (i.e. not in the shop toilet).  They also say the person with the girl was female.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/three-burmese-men-arrested-sexually-assaulting-american-woman-doi-saket/

Thanks , so it was incorrect initial reporting that led to posters questioning the validity of the claims .

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thanks , so it was incorrect initial reporting that led to posters questioning the validity of the claims .

Unbelievable ! How could they stuff up that bad 

A totally different account of events 

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Unbelievable ! How could they stuff up that bad 

A totally different account of events 

Seems like the so called reporters had no idea what happened and so just made something up .

This seems to happen quite frequently , a story is reported and a few days later, the real story emerges .

On 28/04/2018 at 8:44 AM, inThailand said:

Iam glad I am not Burmese, African, Russian, English or a teacher these days! 

Oh please ..the implication that everyone but thais is being targeted is paranoia at best and wholly unsubstantiated.

Is it not right that british or russian thugs who unprovoked attack innocent people be arrested or should we let them off because they are the 'similar to us'?

Or african illegals involved in scams should be allowed to get on with things?

Maybe unqualified illegal teachers should be allowed to teach our kids?

If I was wracked with the infeasible  insecurity you are clearly displaying I'd be scared to close my eyes at night.

I know literally hundreds of farangs who have never had a moments grief from plod and in fact most were complimentary in their dealings.

In my wife's hometown of ranong, we know many burmese who despite many hardships are thriving and never have a bad word for thailand.

The vilification on here of police ( by some not all ) is way way over the top and totally unwarranted .

On 4/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, petermik said:

She went to the restroom where the 3 Burmese allegedly followed and "gang raped" her......so what was the boyfriend doing during this time and was he not alarmed when the men all left at a similar time to her.....strange :whistling:

Well, obviously he was engaged in sweet talking the cashier.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

They said it was consensual, so they certainly shagged the girl.  Its the consensual bit that needs to be clarified.. 2nd thoughts on her part maybe.

Yeah, how many of you would turn down three young Burmese women; especially after a few drinks.

Now that we know it was shitty reporting ( maybe to imbarased to mention the bushes )

So at 10 pm they were at their mutual friends shop drinking ( What do they mean by mutual friend )

Why couldn't she use the toilet inside the shop, if it was a mutual friend's 

& having walked meters away at that time ( 10 pm ) wouldn't you go with her, & especially not watch 3 people leave behind her thinking nothing of it 

Surprised or doubt that a woman would have consensual sex with three men?  I remember several years ago several members of an Aussie rugby team in NZ were taken on by a local woman.  She bragged about it to her co-workers after.  When she realised that they didn't approve and it became public knowledge the excreta hit the fan and some high profile players were hauled over the coals.  In the Chiang Mai version the third man was “assaulting” her without his friends so why wasn't she protesting?  I have a feeling she was caught out by her friend (another woman) and claimed rape to save face.  I could be wrong but these things do happen.

Strange! Very strange bad movie, they were drinking together all five then the women left for the restroom followed by the three burmese while the boyfriend was still sitting and waiting, how is it that he did not suspect anything or hear anything suspicious. Was this a part of a game? 

1 hour ago, ZAKY said:

Strange! Very strange bad movie, they were drinking together all five then the women left for the restroom followed by the three burmese while the boyfriend was still sitting and waiting, how is it that he did not suspect anything or hear anything suspicious. Was this a part of a game? 

Was it a boyfriend??  The Chiang Mai paper's account says it was a female friend and she did not go to a “restroom” but behind some bushes where her friend caught one man “assaulting” her.  The other two had already left.

• 3 weeks later...

---They also say the person with the girl was female.---

so, we speak about a cultural "repair"-act,

for transforming the "unsexy"-woman to her role, as a tom-boy ?

That means, its all about the fact, that lesbian relationships are not accepted in thai society,

and its only ok, when they took the Tom ---Dee relationship.

Archived