Thai Wagyu Beef in Kap Choeng/Surin.

khwaibah

On 8/22/2018 at 7:53 PM, khwaibah said:

I can't say if its the same but for info.. the project is up to over 450 head spread out over 3  barns in a 5 km radius. Just on the wife project they have about 40 rai in Nappier grass and looking to plant more. Also there was a large gathering today at the Surin DLD just north of Prasat.

Hi, pardon my ignorance.  The 40 rai  of napier. Is that part of your project? If so,how many breeders are you planning to feed on it? Will you irrigate?  Flood or sprinklers?

cheers cobbler

1 hour ago, cobbler said:

Hi, pardon my ignorance.  The 40 rai  of napier. Is that part of your project? If so,how many breeders are you planning to feed on it? Will you irrigate?  Flood or sprinklers?

cheers cobbler

Bores and sprinklers. The 40 rai and growing is part of the project and it not my project. The project is by the DLD and the locals. It happens that they located this first operations on the wife land. All training is supplied by the DLD. That 40 rai is just for the project that my wife is involved with about 150 head. I do know the other projecst in our area with about 300 more head have their  napier grass growing and the lead project up in Surin has their operation.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Bores and sprinklers. The 40 rai and growing is part of the project and it not my project. The project is by the DLD and the locals. It happens that they located this first operations on the wife land. All training is supplied by the DLD.

That's awsome. Thank you. Will watch this  and see how it goes. Love to visit 1 day. Cheers cobbler

• Thanks 1

"All cows are female."  As stated in the piece.  Cows are always female.  However, having said that, in Thailand there may be doubt on that point as there are also abundant examples of people to show that is not always the case because even Thai media refers to LADYBOYS whose true genders are not really known.  Maybe, just maybe, some of the COWS are similar and are of uncertain sexuality.  Just saying.

'nuf sed

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

DLD was by last week and gave all the heifers a through check afterwards with assistance about 150 were inserted with a micro chip for health vitals and to make em them HORNY.? All involved are workin 12 hour days on this project. The authorities have been by 4 times with foggers laying down a San Francisco fog bank for the Mozzies. Every evening we have 4 smoke fires going of dried grass and cow pies.

image.png.ab3785c20033846b6613aeebae3cf8b1.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not a big red meat eater for years but I hope this works out for everyone involved as thailand sure could use some decent homegrown beef. Oh yeah, and get that guy some gloves for handling that liquid nitrogen lol.

Edited by Notagain
addition
  • Like 1

Sounds if they are doing a synchronized breeding program, normale the animals are injected with a hormone to bring them on heat, was Lutalise used, then they are all served.

But, with  these beef heifers it depends on how fertile the animal is to start with,  which a lot will not be, and is she on heat when served, not all come on heat when injected with hormone, and how fertile  the DLD semen is,  and that depends on how it was stored and handled, and how good the AI men and women are  at there  job.

Heifers are not easy to serve they have a very small uterus, and often with a twist in, making servicing difficult as the semen is injected right into the middle of the uterus, not outside it. 

If you do a PD, pregnancy diagnoses in 2-3 months time, I would be surprised if 30 % ?will be in calf, in the west if the cow is fertile ,served at the right time,semen of good quality, AI man good at his job, the best conception rate you will get is 75 % of cows served holding to the first service .

Problem is Thailand is they think any problem can be sorted out with an injection like this breeding program and management is not often thought of, a test of time will tell.

Got to ask, what has happened to the Wagyu beef bit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Sounds if they are doing a synchronized breeding program, normale the animals are injected with a hormone to bring them on heat, was Lutalise used, then they are all served.

But, with  these beef heifers it depends on how fertile the animal is to start with,  which a lot will not be, and is she on heat when served, not all come on heat when injected with hormone, and how fertile  the DLD semen is,  and that depends on how it was stored and handled, and how good the AI men and women are  at there  job.

Heifers are not easy to serve they have a very small uterus, and often with a twist in, making servicing difficult as the semen is injected right into the middle of the uterus, not outside it. 

If you do a PD, pregnancy diagnoses in 2-3 months time, I would be surprised if 30 % ?will be in calf, in the west if the cow is fertile ,served at the right time,semen of good quality, AI man good at his job, the best conception rate you will get is 75 % of cows served holding to the first service .

Problem is Thailand is they think any problem can be sorted out with an injection like this breeding program and management is not often thought of, a test of time will tell.

Got to ask, what has happened to the Wagyu beef bit.

Still there.????

Edited by khwaibah

Hey All

I am doing some research on raising cattle in Laos for an article I'm writing and wonder if anybody can help me out with giving me some figures on the size of your operation, the cost of setting it up and the monthly bill for running it. I understand Laos will be different but these are ball park figures and don't need to be exact. Thanks for any and all help. 

45 minutes ago, dictater said:

Hey All

I am doing some research on raising cattle in Laos for an article I'm writing and wonder if anybody can help me out with giving me some figures on the size of your operation, the cost of setting it up and the monthly bill for running it. I understand Laos will be different but these are ball park figures and don't need to be exact. Thanks for any and all help. 

Zero cost as this is a government sponsored and backed operation. I suggest you go back and re read.

2 hours ago, dictater said:

Hey All

I am doing some research on raising cattle in Laos for an article I'm writing and wonder if anybody can help me out with giving me some figures on the size of your operation, the cost of setting it up and the monthly bill for running it. I understand Laos will be different but these are ball park figures and don't need to be exact. Thanks for any and all help

How long is a piece of string ? I know one guy cattle farmer all his life just sold all his cattle as its not worth raising them, beef prices are way too low now. But hey someone will come along soon and tell you how they are making  money doing it, they just dont keep any records of their ROI.

23 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Zero cost as this is a government sponsored and backed operation. I suggest you go back and re read.

I did read it, I wasnt asking how much your feed or the cattle cost, I was asking how much it cost to set up, what did you pay for the land, to build a barn, for the well etc. I wasnt asking you what you paid out of pocket but just for some round figures to guide me. I assume you must have some idea of what the numbers of are - were but if you dont want to help just say so. 

21 hours ago, Notagain said:

How long is a piece of string ? I know one guy cattle farmer all his life just sold all his cattle as its not worth raising them, beef prices are way too low now. But hey someone will come along soon and tell you how they are making  money doing it, they just dont keep any records of their ROI.

I wasn't asking about profit, Im trying to get a handle on how much investment it would take to start a cattle farm of around 50 head. How much land would cost, building barns, getting special feed, what it might cost per month to maintain that herd. If like Kwaibah you dont want to help me for whatever reason just say so. 

1 hour ago, dictater said:

I wasn't asking about profit, Im trying to get a handle on how much investment it would take to start a cattle farm of around 50 head. How much land would cost, building barns, getting special feed, what it might cost per month to maintain that herd. If like Kwaibah you dont want to help me for whatever reason just say so. 

This venture as I have said is 100% government back and sponsored. There is very little if any private funds involved. The heard that I'm associated with is about 150 head and there are 10 more within about 8 km of me all sponsored by the Department of Livestock and Development. Thats over 4500 head of cattle. There is no way I could even give you an estimation. For answers you may be looking for try this thread as you will not get that from my thread.

Edited by khwaibah

• 3 months later...

Hi Khwaibar

It looks if the breeding program  you are on  is going nationwide, I got in yesterday the wife said, 3 DLD lads called, not our local office, they asked if we would be interested in a breeding program,

The program is 3 injections of hormones, and then an AI, all free, she said no, hormone injection for us is unnecessary, all our cattle come heat themselves, normal 2 months after they have calved, as for servicing our cattle, not being local will they be able to come when we ask on time, or will it be servicing the animal 48 hours after the last hormone injection, regardless.

Our next door neighbor, is  going to try the program, he will have problems his few beef cows are thin, do not get feed, now just rice straw, no minerals are feed, he has a bull gets a few calves in a year, one was born last week ,a heifer calf, a bit small, wife said she has seen bigger dogs .

He has another problem no handling fertilities, how his cows will be served without any cattle crush I do not know, watch this space,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brahman bull, he is about 40-50% Indo Brazil, looking at him I give him 15 bar finds, and he will be worn out, the wrong breed for your set up, with a lot of cattle with Indo blood in them, useing this bull ,will result in the offspring with a hihg percentage of Indo blood ,which will  not fatten ,all legs and ears. 

Looking at the back end of him, you would have a job to get a Sunday roast from him. 
IMO a Brangus bull would be better suieted, would need less feed, Indo Brazil need feeding well to get any thing out of them, also a Brangus bull would throw smaller calves, more suited to some of your smaller heiffers, some Indo bulls throw large calves, and you could get some calving problems.

Best thing to do with him put him in a shead and feed him up, for 6 months .  

• Like 1

Hi Khwaibar

This would be more use to you, he is 80 %, Brahman, with 10% Sahiwal and 10% dairy about 2year old, mum is a big cow, and red, with a bit of dairy blood in him that should come out in the offspring, make the cows a bit milkier.

I found him driving past a dairy farm, he was next to the road, the owner was more than happy to talk about him.

If he was for sale the owner said 45 000 baht, at least you would get a Sunday roast from him. 

Still, say a Brangus would be better, but he would be a good second 

RIMG0987.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...