"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

rooster59

"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

swiss.JPG

Image: Daily News

Daily News reported that two Swiss tourists were going the extra mile to clear up the beach at Samui.

But two local officials had a go at their litter tossing compatriots saying they should be ashamed that tourists were clearing up their mess.

The media met up with the two Swiss ladies who they called Fabian, 23, and Jamin, 31. 

Fabian said they love Samui and couldn't do nothing as trash blew in to Ban Beach, Mae Nam, off the sea. So they asked the bungalow where they were staying for bin bags and picked up the rubbish over a five kilometer stretch.

Their haul included plastic, foam and bottles.

Local officials Phumin and Thepasak called in Daily News and were also on hand to help. They gave the ladies some refreshing coconut water to thank them for their efforts.

But they condemned the locals in Koh Samui who they said should be ashamed of themselves to see tourists who had come so far having to act as trash collectors after they had messed up their own. environment. 

Daily News praised the tourists calling their actions "very impressive".

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-28

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rubbish in developing country tourist resorts is widespread and not peculiar to thailand....as hard as that is for some to process.

Fast food wrapping, soft drink bottles etc originated from the west.

Thais and others have just joined in the fun.

As for implying that foreigners rarely or never litter.....well that is a total crock.

Sadly every group has a few recalcitrants...thai and non thai.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

What is it with people? Going on vacation and cleaning up the country they visit? Seems like it´s a very short way to the madhouse theese days.

Often, one has no choice if one wants to walk along a beach or to even sit down.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

There's always one... Shut up with your "work permit" BS

Even the local officials were praising them.

I just pointed out about 'work permits' as this is a topic so often on TVForum. Sorry if it upset you Cornish Carlos.

Any country can be dirty or clean...just look deeper into some side galleys or streets of NYC, London, LA or Paris....and you will meet with garbage, rats and worse...

Many westerners feel superiour claiming that they are cleaner ?...utter rubbish (and no pun here)....

just that many european nations and their governance are honest with tax payers money and clean up the mess at night,.....

Now here is where Thailand must wake up....hire battalions of garbage disposal trucks, hire squads of Burmese (if the Thais think they are too superiour to clean rubbish)....build a few garbage disposal plants in every city with more then 150'000 inhabitants.....and then....then Thailand will just be the same as the other western nations...western nations that have junk all over but it just gets cleaned, recycled or disposed during the night by the municipalities  ...

In other words, the farangs in Thailand need to stop acting as Robin Hoods and if they have cleaning urges, they are welcome to come over and bikini-clad-rub my place !

As a young student in the USA, we were taught in school not to liter.  That stuck with me all my life and I think with most other Americans.  I would suggest that Thailand do the same with their students and the public.  They need to do ad campaigns promoting "Keep Thailand Clean"  This would be especially beneficial in beach resort towns.  They should also pass laws against littering, including cigarettes.  Providing more trash containers would help the cause.  They could make a lot of money writing out fines until everyone starts to get the message.  And while they are at it--they should start free drivers training (classroom and behind the wheel) in all the high schools.  This would help make Thailand a much better and safer place to live for everyone.

I walk the beach every day for 20 minutes picking up plastic once finished I put it on the road and it’s gone within 5 minutes , it would be wonderful if we could all spend just 10 minutes in our daily routine to collect the plastic thrown in the sea or on the side of the road . Well done these two holiday makers ????

If you want to ping the guilt of people then it helps if you have a clean beach in the first place then people would be less likely to litter. Although you can admire the girls for having a go, its far too big a problem for a few tourists to resolve. For a country that relies on tourism it's unbelievable that the years roll on and on and still there is no local government department that purely deals with this on a day to day basis. I am not saying that having people and machinery clean and rake the beach every evening like they do in Spain would resolve their underlying issues, which is really a global issue, however it would certainly help the tourist business if they were confronted by clean sand every morning and despite these girl's efforts, what opinion will they actually take home with them as they tell others of their holiday? Not good Thailand, never mind the coconut juice, invest in some tractors !!

20 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

...battalions of garbage disposal trucks....build a few garbage disposal plants

That is OK. There is money in procurement and construction. The problem being there is no real money in preparation or maintenance. 

For a country that cares so much about image, why do they put on blinders regarding air water and land pollution?

Quite baffling but personally it gets down to lack of awareness of what's important to public health, understanding management programs and laziness....

Waste management is someone else's problem...sit at McDonald's and watch how many Thai people will leave their garbage on the table vs putting in the bin...never taught  individual accountability... See it walking my dogs in my moobaan...by the way only one who has pooper scoopers though signs abound about cleaning up after their dogs...

pure laziness to put in a little extra effort b/c they have built in "we haven't had to do it before " mentality

10 hours ago, carmine said:

Sadly they will clean the beach but the day after they leave it will be strewn again with locals and fishermans rubbish.

I stayed in a hotel located on Maenam beach just before last christmas,one of the best hotels I,ve ever stayed in....unfortunately the rest of the Island resembles a rubbish dump.....never again :whistling:

32 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Any country can be dirty or clean...just look deeper into some side galleys or streets of NYC, London, LA or Paris....and you will meet with garbage, rats and worse...

Many westerners feel superiour claiming that they are cleaner ?...utter rubbish (and no pun here)....

just that many european nations and their governance are honest with tax payers money and clean up the mess at night,.....

Now here is where Thailand must wake up....hire battalions of garbage disposal trucks, hire squads of Burmese (if the Thais think they are too superiour to clean rubbish)....build a few garbage disposal plants in every city with more then 150'000 inhabitants.....and then....then Thailand will just be the same as the other western nations...western nations that have junk all over but it just gets cleaned, recycled or disposed during the night by the municipalities  ...

In other words, the farangs in Thailand need to stop acting as Robin Hoods and if they have cleaning urges, they are welcome to come over and bikini-clad-rub my place !

No mention of trying to educate Thais to dump their rubbish into bins? Did that not cross your mind? Attitude here seems to be "only little people put their trash in bins... I am too hiso". I am from Pacific NW, and tho not perfect, vast majority put rubbish where it should be and get on case of folks that trash.

You need to get a better understanding of what "Robin Hood" implies: nothing to do with rubbish.

Oh, pay a visit to Japan too. VERY clean. And not European

It's mind boggling that Thailand, that depends on, and obscenely profits from tourism, cannot put convenient garbage bins on every beach/road/tourist area...etc etc etc, and pay someone to groom/maintain beaches to a pristine level.   Will paying tourists have to wash their own bedding and towels at hotels,  bring your own, or have to wash dishes and cutlery at restaurants?    Funny mentality here....smile and wave

Archived