"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

rooster59

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sambum said:

The mayor? Is that the guy who got the money to pay for the incinerator to be fixed?

He is the guy who got 800 million baht to fix the ring road, and then proceeded to go on a spending spree, acquiring several beachfront hotel properties, with government funds. And you know what happened? Nothing. Above the law. Any and all laws. Including the weak army. The road took about 7 years to build. Probably using hotel profits. Zero accountability, as always in the wild wild west of Samui.

"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

swiss.JPG.fefdb0489487697c45909e74d1b817e5.JPG&key=104b40b70259f57243893742e5e1178ae7d8152fe1094aed06759e9c9c910106

Image: Daily News

Daily News reported that two Swiss tourists were going the extra mile to clear up the beach at Samui.   But two local officials had a go at their litter tossing compatriots saying they should be ashamed that tourists were clearing up their mess.   The media met up with the two Swiss ladies who they called Fabian, 23, and Jamin, 31.    Fabian said they love Samui and couldn't do nothing as trash blew in to Ban Beach, Mae Nam, off the sea. So they asked the bungalow where they were staying for bin bags and picked up the rubbish over a five kilometer stretch.   Their haul included plastic, foam and bottles.   Local officials Phumin and Thepasak called in Daily News and were also on hand to help. They gave the ladies some refreshing coconut water to thank them for their efforts.   But they condemned the locals in Koh Samui who they said should be ashamed of themselves to see tourists who had come so far having to act as trash collectors after they had messed up their own. environment.    Daily News praised the tourists calling their actions "very impressive".   Source: Daily News     tvn_logo.jpg&key=c0462a795211d2ee26e4aec14494dc36e676f591189aadad96b38e269ae09239 -- [emoji767] Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-28 [/quot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, Dario said:

One man by the name of Lee Kuan Yew was so impressed by the Swiss cleanliness that he vowed to transform Singapore into the clean city it is today, but it will never match Switzerland.

I guess you have not been in Geneva, Zurich or Basel in the last few years to suggest Singapore will never match the cleanliness of Switzerland. Not all is cuckoo  clock perfect anymore back there....  

I remember walking along the beach in Samui when I was new here. I had just finished a beer and ran over to a bin to dispose of it. Some foreigner applauded me and said, "Well done!". I was a bit confused and just nodded at him. About three days later after travelling around Samui it suddenly made sense. Seemed most people were just chucking their rubbish wherever. 

In my little soi this morning, a 100 year old rust bucket pickup arrived with 3 young men aboard.

They were there to install an electrity meter on a concrete pole. I watched with curious anticipation, as I've never seen anyone electrocuted before.

During the 10 minute operation, these guys drank 2 bottles of M-150 and a Nescafe can. The empties were dropped on the footpath at the base of the pole.

A big blue rubbish bin was literally 4 paces away.

There's really no hope is there.

Samui prison sits right next to the garbage processing plant, I have seen prisoners outside before clearing grass verges etc, why not use some of these prisoners either trustees or prisoners coming to the end of their term to clean up beaches etc.,

33 minutes ago, sn1per said:

Samui prison sits right next to the garbage processing plant, I have seen prisoners outside before clearing grass verges etc, why not use some of these prisoners either trustees or prisoners coming to the end of their term to clean up beaches etc.,

Very hard with foot shackles. 

12 hours ago, huberthammer said:

I guess you have not been in Geneva, Zurich or Basel in the last few years to suggest Singapore will never match the cleanliness of Switzerland. Not all is cuckoo  clock perfect anymore back there....  

Correct! Things have changed quite a bit in the last 10-15 years, and not for the best.

Archived