"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

rooster59

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the 14th century when I was a lad in England, it was much the same as here, rubbish everywhere and people tended to drop things like sweet wrappers and fag ends etc in the street. Beach visits were punctuated by feet besmirched in fuel oil blobs and dog shit. Later in Australia the attitude was much the same, as Slim Dusty (a great and powerul chieftain who occasionally sang to the serfs) said 'if it wasn't for the beer cans shining beside the road at night you would never find your own way home.'

Eventually the message was introduced that littering was a sin, litter louts were put in the stocks and repeat offenders made to walk naked in front of a baying crowd.

Soon it became socially unacceptable to throw crap everywhere and though It took some time for attitudes to change, they have fundamentally changed as can be seen by the latest approach to single use plastics.

These two ladies are part of the spearhead of the change in attitudes towards littering and discarding rubbish here, they are to be congratulated and encouraged and their example followed by all of us.

19 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Swiss generally are very clean.

Do your thing ladies.  Kudos for raising impressions of foreigners.

Second that! Switzerland is extremely clean, I was born and grew up in that country. For me it is understandable, that these two girls (Kudos!) want to improve the site a bit where they vacation. BS posts about work permit simply shows the BS posters education. Don't have to say more.

One man by the name of Lee Kuan Yew was so impressed by the Swiss cleanliness that he vowed to transform Singapore into the clean city it is today, but it will never match Switzerland. For those who have never seen Switzerland I suggest to go and visit. It is an eye opener.

4 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Rubbish in developing country tourist resorts is widespread and not peculiar to thailand....as hard as that is for some to process.

Fast food wrapping, soft drink bottles etc originated from the west.

Thais and others have just joined in the fun.

As for implying that foreigners rarely or never litter.....well that is a total crock.

Sadly every group has a few recalcitrants...thai and non thai.

I doubt a single tourist from overseas arrived with a suitcase full of trash to litter Samui beaches with.

That did not originate in The West!

The Premier League in the England has just announced it will not use any single use plastic container at their grounds.

Thais, at the moment, don't appear to have much consideration for their environment, you would have to go around with your eyes closed to think otherwise. I see a lot more rubbish in my Thai area than other places I visit, and many many piles where fly tipping is obvious. Let us hope attitudes can be changed, the West, well Europe, is making many changes to improve the situation. 

Up to 95 per cent of plastic polluting the world's oceans pours in from just ten rivers, according to new research.

The top 10 rivers - eight of which are in Asia - accounted for so much plastic because of the mismanagement of waste.

About five trillion pounds is floating in the sea, and targeting the major sources - such as the Yangtze and the Ganges - could almost halve it, scientists claim.

I live in  a fairly remote part of Prachuap 20km south of town in countryside no other foreigners.

Beautiful rural countryside, but  Sadly roadside  verges are littered  with rubbish from Thais

Probably due to Low or rather no education and again no respect for countryside/environment

They are basically dirty uncaring people when litter is concerned!

1. Who can guarantee that it is not THEIR OWN FARANG MESS ?

2. I have done the cleanup of some parts of a Thai beach and I can assure you that I did it for:

- physical exercise

- cleanup purposes.

’nuff said

next to those nice girls may sit their fat slob western  boyfriends poking fun at them and prepared to start spreading their ness again

cleanness and mess are both art

Do some cleanup but don’t forget that humans are by nature a messy thing and this is what women like:

<<<< Foreign language removed >>>>

Where’s dirt and vice, there’s lady nice

There is a group on samui that meet up to clean up different beaches . They are thai and expats and advertise it on facebook for people wanting to help out.

unfortunately due to size of the island its a thankless task. There are people that spend a bit of time every day cleaning beaches where they live and the resorts on the beach tend to clear them up a bit in the mornings . 

I have been to a few beach restaurants a few days after high seas etc and the beach looked like a hurricane had passed through it with the amount of driftwood and garbage that was washed up. Was a week before the owner of one managed to clear it all as there was so much. The local government seem to to nothing about the beaches , the waste disposal unit has not worked for years and the place is drowning in household garbage . Add to that people building houses etc dumping their garbage anywhere they see fit as they think nobody will see it and the place really looks like a dump. 

I have been here 10 years and have watched the place get worse and worse. Just about had enough of the eyesore development going on everywhere and starting to look where to go next .

Long time back in Phuket I rented a small Thai house through the winter. It was very basic, but with a plot of ground in front, and at the back, some coconut trees, and a lot of rubbish. I cleaned it all up, put some plants around the front, used empty coconuts to plant and hang, it all looked very nice. A quick sweep in the morning and i was done. The neighbours looked on at first, then did their own sweeping, the kids brought me plants from the forest behind. It’s just not in a Thais nature to clean up , some of my lovely friends have great houses with just an unorderly mess inside, boxes and piles of stuff all over the place. Each to hi so own I suppose, but when they see foreigners tidying up the place, it does set them thinking. Just like children , set an example.

Was driving the other day, saw a girl sitting in the back of a motorbike, eating soup, she just threw away the plastic cup on the street, just idiots with no education.

When you tell them something, they answer that everybody does it anyway...

While I lived on Samui, for many years, I calculated that for $2,000 a month, the island could put together a clean up crew of 3 people, who cleaned up one beach every day, and circled around the island. The difference would be staggering. Yet, the continued greed of the mayor, and the authorities prevents even this tiny amount of money being spent, on an island that grosses billions per year. I think that may be referred to as a complete lack of vision, and concern about the environment, combined with a staggering degree of indifference, and incompetence. 

The cleanest beaches on Samui, are the ones cleaned by the hotel staff, of some better resorts, that clearly demonstrate pride in their property, and concern that the guests will have a great experience there. And in most instances, those hotels have foreign GM's, who know what a clean beach means to tourists who are spending real money on their vacations. 

Samui continues to be one of the least progressive resort areas in the world. 

holiday in los always means holidays in or very near piles of trash ...especially in holes like samui phangan tao phuket or especially pattaya...and not only  you holiday in trash but u also swimm in a toiket cause most bungalows just use the sea to dispose your poo and piss ...somebody told me have government clearing plant but if we connect pay mak mak...so connect in ocean only falang swimm thai  fear water because ghost...for thai the ocean is looked as danger place many cannot swimm and if u born fisherman bad low kamma...they use it to clear all rubbish also on industrial level....

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

...sit at McDonald's and watch how many Thai people will leave their garbage on the table vs putting in the bin...never taught  individual accountability...

Well done to the 2 tourist ladies. A gentle, not too subtle display like this would surely ping the conscience of at least some locals to perhaps try harder to keep their beaches cleaner, even if the litter has blown in from offshore.

Re table trash in Maccas. The one Maccas in Buriram is always spotless, and a real credit to the owners. There seems to be 2 young people with disability, employed to clean tables, and they do a really beaut job. They communicate soley by sign language, but their smiles and happy dispositions speak volumes.

I used to put my tray trash in the bin as I departed, but I've realised that if everyone did that, these 2 young people might be dismissed as unnecessary.

Consequently, my wife and I now leave our table waste on the table. The trash is gone with a smile and a wai within 20 seconds of us standing up to leave. It's actually very impressive.

Very different story at some big fast food joints in BKK, where every vacant table is often overflowing with refuse.

The locals do not give a damn, as long as tourists come, dirty or clean. I mean  THAIS actually working to improve the beach....God forbid, let the farang do it. We all know why should a Thai work when a farang does a much better job, cheaper too. 

5 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Rubbish in developing country tourist resorts is widespread and not peculiar to thailand....as hard as that is for some to process.

Fast food wrapping, soft drink bottles etc originated from the west.

Thais and others have just joined in the fun.

As for implying that foreigners rarely or never litter.....well that is a total crock.

Sadly every group has a few recalcitrants...thai and non thai.

"Fast food wrapping, soft drink bottles etc originated from the west"

Yes, but in the West we have receptacles in which to place the rubbish - there use to be some on Samui - they called them green wheelie bins - I remember them well!

However, some people were not paying their "garbage collection tax", so the bins were taken away by the Council/Government (That'll solve the problem:cheesy:!!!)  and now people have to dispose of their own rubbish by taking it to the rubbish mountain beside the incinerator that has not worked for years :cheesy:(Yawn - been mentioned a few times, I know!) or dumping it down a secluded lane somewhere (:smile: That's the way to do it!) 

The other alternative is to take it to your nearest 711, where there are piles of bags of stinking rubbish - obviously 711 pay their taxes!

Finding a litter bin in Thailand is like finding a needle in a hay stack. They just don't do litter bins except outside 7-11 stores. As for Thais themselves, they have no concept of holding onto litter until they get home or find a litter bin. Number 1 litter bugs of the world!

40 minutes ago, Dario said:

Good post spidermike007, visonaires is what this world needs.

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

While I lived on Samui, for many years, I calculated that for $2,000 a month, the island could put together a clean up crew of 3 people, who cleaned up one beach every day, and circled around the island. The difference would be staggering. Yet, the continued greed of the mayor, and the authorities prevents even this tiny amount of money being spent, on an island that grosses billions per year. I think that may be referred to as a complete lack of vision, and concern about the environment, combined with a staggering degree of indifference, and incompetence. 

The cleanest beaches on Samui, are the ones cleaned by the hotel staff, of some better resorts, that clearly demonstrate pride in their property, and concern that the guests will have a great experience there. And in most instances, those hotels have foreign GM's, who know what a clean beach means to tourists who are spending real money on their vacations. 

Samui continues to be one of the least progressive resort areas in the world. 

Good post, and have to agree with all of the content! Also put waste bins on the beaches, and people will use them - if there's nowhere to put your rubbish, not everybody will take it home with them for disposal! Even if you do, you still have the problem of what to do with it - as I have explained in another post. 

However, another solution has just sprung to mind - why not use the many hundreds of the RTP that have been transferred to "inactive posts" to help clean the beaches? :cheesy: If they are indeed "inactive", it would help them to keep fit, and also justify them being paid - at least they would be doing something useful!

11 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Finding a litter bin in Thailand is like finding a needle in a hay stack. They just don't do litter bins except outside 7-11 stores. As for Thais themselves, they have no concept of holding onto litter until they get home or find a litter bin. Number 1 litter bugs of the world!

DELETED - duplicate content

Archived