"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

rooster59

1 hour ago, poohy said:

I live in  a fairly remote part of Prachuap 20km south of town in countryside no other foreigners.

Beautiful rural countryside, but  Sadly roadside  verges are littered  with rubbish from Thais

Probably due to Low or rather no education and again no respect for countryside/environment

They are basically dirty uncaring people when litter is concerned!

Almost daily I see workers, on the houses being built near me, finishe eating from plastic bags and then just drop them on the ground and that's within 2 to 5 metres from the bins provided by and emptied regularly by the local Amphur.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Almost daily I see workers, on the houses being built near me, finishe eating from plastic bags and then just drop them on the ground and that's within 2 to 5 metres from the bins provided by and emptied regularly by the local Amphur.

Not being defensive of the Thais, because a lot of them are as poohy describes, but the workers that you talk about could well be Burmese immigrants, or some other nationality. 

34 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Finding a litter bin in Thailand is like finding a needle in a hay stack. They just don't do litter bins except outside 7-11 stores. As for Thais themselves, they have no concept of holding onto litter until they get home or find a litter bin. Number 1 litter bugs of the world!

So if "Finding a litter bin in Thailand is like finding a needle in a hay stack" how do you expect the Thais themselves to be " ....................................or find a litter bin."

Have not read all the posts -good for them .

Why are they wearing about 6 square inches of clothing? Which just about covers their decency.

Some of those gap year elephant pants and a Singha T Shirt would be much better . 

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Fabian said they love Samui and couldn't do nothing as trash blew in to Ban Beach, Mae Nam, off the sea

whats the world coming to?!

trash blowing in the land off of an ocean garbage patch???

it's over folks!

some species of fish reluctantly swimming at higher(warmer) levels of the ocean because of the amount of  microscopic scale of plastic they ingest and therefor die off

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

A bit harsh on the Thai's i think,as they don't actullay see garbage,very difficult to pick up what you cannot see.

I am afraid the same applies to most pickups drivers : they don't see the pedestrians. 

3 hours ago, petermik said:

I stayed in a hotel located on Maenam beach just before last christmas,one of the best hotels I,ve ever stayed in....unfortunately the rest of the Island resembles a rubbish dump.....never again :whistling:

Maybe a good idea to mention this to the hotel? If they feel they are losing custom because of rubbish . . . 

Its not difficult to bend down and pick up some rubbish as you are walking along a beach. Unless your spine is made from a cocktail stick. Sunbathers can still get a tan without laying down. Walk up the beach for an hour, then back again. 2 hours in the sun, 1 hour each side, bit of exercise and a good deed done for the day 

Then time for a nice cold one, well deserved

7 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Maybe a good idea to mention this to the hotel? If they feel they are losing custom because of rubbish . . . 

So the hotel staff will clean the rest of the island?..........

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Any country can be dirty or clean...just look deeper into some side galleys or streets of NYC, London, LA or Paris....and you will meet with garbage, rats and worse...

Many westerners feel superiour claiming that they are cleaner ?...utter rubbish (and no pun here)....

just that many european nations and their governance are honest with tax payers money and clean up the mess at night,.....

Now here is where Thailand must wake up....hire battalions of garbage disposal trucks, hire squads of Burmese (if the Thais think they are too superiour to clean rubbish)....build a few garbage disposal plants in every city with more then 150'000 inhabitants.....and then....then Thailand will just be the same as the other western nations...western nations that have junk all over but it just gets cleaned, recycled or disposed during the night by the municipalities  ...

In other words, the farangs in Thailand need to stop acting as Robin Hoods and if they have cleaning urges, they are welcome to come over and bikini-clad-rub my place !

I think you should run for Mayor.

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

There is a group on samui that meet up to clean up different beaches . They are thai and expats and advertise it on facebook for people wanting to help out.

unfortunately due to size of the island its a thankless task. There are people that spend a bit of time every day cleaning beaches where they live and the resorts on the beach tend to clear them up a bit in the mornings . 

I have been to a few beach restaurants a few days after high seas etc and the beach looked like a hurricane had passed through it with the amount of driftwood and garbage that was washed up. Was a week before the owner of one managed to clear it all as there was so much. The local government seem to to nothing about the beaches , the waste disposal unit has not worked for years and the place is drowning in household garbage . Add to that people building houses etc dumping their garbage anywhere they see fit as they think nobody will see it and the place really looks like a dump. 

I have been here 10 years and have watched the place get worse and worse. Just about had enough of the eyesore development going on everywhere and starting to look where to go next .

I hear Barnsley is wonderful this time of Year.

It is not surprising that these women did this, because they are from a developed country. A developed country is one in which the majority have consideration for others. Conversely, a developing country is one in which people are developing consideration for others. (Rubbish is an obvious indicator, others include corruption and road safety.)

You will not see the end of plastic bags and general pollution in Thailand for a long time, Thais don't give a shit about rubbish, any vacant land or roadside is a permanent rubbish tip. Basically, if the government doesn't provide proper collection, disposal sites, heavy fines for polluters and education for the next generation Thailand will never change.

Archived