"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

rooster59

8 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Rubbish in developing country tourist resorts is widespread and not peculiar to thailand....as hard as that is for some to process.

Fast food wrapping, soft drink bottles etc originated from the west.

Thais and others have just joined in the fun.

As for implying that foreigners rarely or never litter.....well that is a total crock.

Sadly every group has a few recalcitrants...thai and non thai.

In America, land of a crazy dysfunctional culture of violence and religion, we still manage to eat our fast food without tossing the plastic all over nature.  This happened because our government took steps:  we made it illegal with stiff fines, and we plastered TV with commercials with a crying Indian on it that we all remember if we are a certain age.  You are looking through very rose colored glasses here if you want to blame the West for the Asian habit of littering everywhere.  The Thai government needs to step in to cause a culture shift.  They easily could but they choose to spend their political capital squeezing more money out of the system of bribes they have set up.  

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I've seen broken up asbestos strewn all over this country in the passed 8 years of being here, these girls should wear masks if they want to get serious. 
Thais do a lot of cleaning of rubbish, when they get paid to recycle it and so forth. 

Regarding Prayut, Thai rapists are way more dangerous for the ladies in little bikinis. And they are not ugly. Be safe, girls!!

While there is merit in what these ladies are doing those that are quick to bag the locals should reflect a moment.

Switzerland one of the many countries that exports its waste ( old computer parts, plastic packaging etc etc) to poorer countries so as to hide behind a veer of respectability and environmental smugness. 

One of the reasons why i have shy'd away from Koh Tao and Phi Phi.

The garbage boats that turned up to Phi Phi were overloaded and not well contained, i was there about 2015. I can still remember a trail of rubbish from leaving Phuket till Phi Phi. Not a constant thick stream of rubbish, but floating plastic 600 ml water bottles were a regular site, plastic bags/wrappers etc.

Koh Tao, i picked up a hessian bag full of rubbish around 300m to the North of the jetty, found syringes, endless plastics. Really sad. Tyres, general rubbish and netting under water, having a big impact on the local reefs.

Every morning the water line on the sand would be made of rubbish.

A post can be viewed on bookface, of a recent divers experience in Bali. The underwater world was under attack from floating plastics 

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Steady on girls! Taking jobs meant for Thais. Work permit prob's ahead? Get your donation money ready.

I disagree.

This is not a job Thai people undertake (well). I think they could get a special visa under the expert employment visa (or whatever it is called visa).

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Give small time  crooks the option of community service in lieu of prison.

Isn't there a huge Government Department full of people who are currently "inactive"? Give them a  "working holiday" in return for picking up rubbish around the kingdom? :whistling:

7 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Isn't there a huge Government Department full of people who are currently "inactive"? Give them a  "working holiday" in return for picking up rubbish around the kingdom? :whistling:

You must have missed Post No # 62?

29 minutes ago, shamrock09 said:

The degree of cynicism I see when I read these replies fills me with despair. What is wrong with you people? Every Sunday foreigners go and clean beaches in Samui, why not join them?

Do you honestly think that people come on holiday, or retire to a country to pick up rubbish? 

What is even more galling is the fact that most Thais don't seem to give a damn about the environment, so a few dumb "farangs" picking up rubbish on a beach is not very likely to change their attitudes - quite the reverse in fact -  "If the rubbish needs picked up. the farangs will do it, so I needn't bother"

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Really? Where are you visiting in Thailand? 

If you wish to see an extreme case, I invite you to visit the beaches of Nakhon si Thammarat to see what  beautiful beaches destroyed by garbage and illegal dumping look like. However, even clean beaches are subject to plastic  and water borne waste. For example, the beach popularly known as the "Pines" outside of Hua Hin is often cleaned by the military conscripts at the nearby base and yet there are patches where there is debris like; fishing equipment, plastic bottles, food packages, plastic bags, glass, bottles, cans etc. This is a beach that benefits from a current which sweeps most debris away, and regular cleanup and it still can get debris. 

Where do you think all the cigarette butts the smokers put in the sand, go? 

40 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

If you wish to see an extreme case, I invite you to visit the beaches of Nakhon si Thammarat to see what  beautiful beaches destroyed by garbage and illegal dumping look like. However, even clean beaches are subject to plastic  and water borne waste. For example, the beach popularly known as the "Pines" outside of Hua Hin is often cleaned by the military conscripts at the nearby base and yet there are patches where there is debris like; fishing equipment, plastic bottles, food packages, plastic bags, glass, bottles, cans etc. This is a beach that benefits from a current which sweeps most debris away, and regular cleanup and it still can get debris. 

Where do you think all the cigarette butts the smokers put in the sand, go? 

Kept in evidence?

There is absolutely no reason the city/island/government authorities 1) shouldn't employ workers for cleaning rubbish and sanitation like in other countries. 2) Place responsibility for hotels/resorts/restaurants to clean up their predetermined area of beach daily 3) place rubbish bins in all the appropriate areas so that people have the ability to keep the places clean, easily. 4) Employ inspectors to see that this is all being done. 5) Use video/ad campaigns to change the culture. This is not rocket science! It's happening all over the world, in some places for many decades. Complete failure on the part of the government, first and foremost. There is an American guy who lives in Issan, who does this every day for hours! Soon there will be no value to coming to Thailand except for cheap beer and brothels & the country will attract only Pattaya type "tourists". Who wants to be knee deep in rubbish with either pathetic grabbing or scowling Thai locals attending to them. What a shame...

Very impressive the two ladies, unfortunately, it will need 100,000 and more examples till the peoples learn it, environment education must begin at school but the schools/temples to dismiss the rubbish in the same way.

Many "FARANGS" take over the Thai style and dismiss the rubbish as well in the same way.

I traveling often around Thailand and I see everywhere the same situation isn't mattered tourist destination or rural area.

The pics that you can see here are from our village, we do have a regularly rubbish collection that cost 20 Baht per month, that looks to be rubbish from the temple next to that place.

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

And on bad days, some Thais will complain that the ladies are "shaming or embarrassing them, and will file a complaint that the ladies are doing volunteer work without proper permits

And according to the PM, wearing a bikini is tantamount to "inviting" sexual harassment! :shock1:

Wow - these workers (and perhaps others) are in deep s**t for voluntarily helping a country! Big loss of face :whistling:

Maybe I am too harsh - still a third world feudal country.

20 hours ago, meatboy said:

good crowd of thai males watching them bend over to pick up the rubbish.i bet there will be more of the same tomorrow .

A story of people trying to do a good thing, followed by a juvenile comment that belongs in the trash bag along with the rest of the rubbish.

Archived