BANGKOK 22 May 2019 13:34
Sign in to follow this  
Ijustwannateach

Questions About Qualifications

^Excellent and detailed reply, Ajarn.  I should mention that the higher paid work is the "grey area" work and usually involves proofreading and upper level (masters or phd student) classes.  Simply doing extra classes overtime is unfortunately at the under-market rates Ajarn mentions.  Real part time hourly work in Bangkok should pay at least 400 an hour.

"Steven"

In my experience, general editing/proofing is part of the normal job, but normally a small stipend is paid for proofing something like a Thesis Abstract, which is usually just a few short paragraphs, at most... Actually editing someone's full Thesis or Dissertation is always outside the normal duties, and the price is negotiated directly with the author, in my experience. I hate doing them because it always seems to end up being mostly re-written by me. Plus, they are sooo boring to read and work on. My advice would be to only accept this work if you're REALLY hungry :o

Not all universities are so kii nio as CMU....The International Program at Mahidol(Phuttamonthon sai 4), in 1999, was paying hourly teachers (M.A./M.S., and above) 1200 baht per hour for up to 15 hours per week. Chula had hourly rates of 900-1200 for some courses. and Thammasat paid hourly teachers 900 per hour, plus 300 baht per class for travel time. This was during the period 1997-2000. I was living and working in Bkk as a DoS, and later, English Dept. Director at a college in Bkk. I hope that these prices have gone up, but not sure anymore. I'm outa the loop now. A real Dinosaur :D

dino.gif

Many thanks to Steven and Ajarn for the additional information.

I have also done the thesis editing trip here in Canada for some Thai PhD candidates. It's hard to resist the temptation or rewriting the whole thing since so many of the Thais have a problem with 1) original and 2) critical thought. There ought to be special rates for farang editors who end up doing far more than simply dealing with grammar. Of course, standards are likely different (and lower) and Thailand, so perhaps it's possible to stick to grammar.

I wonder if someone might give a little overview of the post secondary institutions out there where I might try to apply to teach social science in English. I went to the MOE site and it was helpful They had a list of govt and private universities there. Is that list complete and does it cover all the potential places where English might be a language of instruction for academic subjects. From my browsing, it seemed as though few of them offered social science degrees at all. They may only have a course here and there as part of a communications program perhaps that might have a social science focus.

Thanks,

Merlin

ps Ajarn: liked your site.

Here's a question for you....

I'm a Professor at the Univ of California, San Diego.. USA.. in the Arts - teaching Theatre Lighting Design - Graduate/Masters Level, as well as BA level. (I'm also a Tony-Award-winning freelance Lighting Designer for theatre in the States...

I know my field is somewhat specialized... but do you think there's ANY possibility of finding a demand for my field in Thailand..? I plan to move there in 3 years... semi-retirement at 55.

Btw, been teaching at Univ for 15years, and been a Designer for 28years.

Cheers

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

Here's a question for you....

I'm a Professor at the Univ of California, San Diego.. USA.. in the Arts - teaching Theatre Lighting Design - Graduate/Masters Level, as well as BA level.  (I'm also a Tony-Award-winning freelance Lighting Designer for theatre in the States...

I know my field is somewhat specialized... but do you think there's ANY possibility of finding a demand for my field in Thailand..? I plan to move there in 3 years... semi-retirement at 55.

Btw, been teaching at Univ for 15years, and been a Designer for 28years.

Cheers

ChrisP

Chris, your subject is out of my field, but you might start contacting the universities here with your query (though I'd guess you 'show' better in person, right? :D ). It seems like your experience and background could make you a possibility for a 'Visiting Professor' position in one of the larger universities here. Some of these 'Visiting' Professors are still here after many years...

You might try contacting these Govt universities in particular:

Chulalongkorn University http://www.chula.ac.th/cuweb_en/arts/index.html

info@chula.ac.th

Thammasat University http://fineart.tu.ac.th/contact.asp

Good luck :o

These may help, a little out of date but most of them should still be current:

UNIVERSITIES THAT OFFER INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMMES

Asian University of Science and Technology

Huay Yai, Bang Lamung, Chon Buri

Tel.: (038) 754450

Business Adm, Engineering

Assumption University (ABAC)

682 Ramkhamhaeng 24, Hua Mark, Bang Kapi, Bangkok

Tel.: 3004543 – 62 ext. 2507-8, 2513, 2520 Fax: 7191509

E-mail: regist@au.ac.th

Web site: www.au.ac.th

Bus Adm (BBA), Eng’g (B Eng), Arch (B Arch), BS (Sc & Tech),

BA (Comm Arts), Law (LL :o, Nursing Sc (BNS), BA (Arts),

Biotechnology (BS), Risk Mgmt & Ind Svcs

Bangkok University International College

40/4 Rama IV Rd., Khlong Toey, Bangkok 10110

Tel.: 6717300-48, 6717535, 3503500 ext. 609, 610

Fax: 2401819

E-mail: scratana@lily.bu.ac.th

Accounting, Business Admin, Comm, Humanities

Chulalongkorn University

254 Pyathai Rd., Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel.: 2150871-3 Fax: 2154804

Arts in Euro Studies (MA), Bus Adm (MBA), Bus & Managerial Eco (MA),

Envi & Natural Resource Eco (MS), Health Dev (MS), Health Econ (MA),

Int Eco & Finance (MA), Mgmt (MM), Petrochem Tech & Polymer Science (MS,PhD), Thai Studies (MA)

Dusit Thani College

902 Moo 6, Srinakarin Rd., Nongbon, Prawet, Bangkok

Tel.: 3617805

Industry Admin

Eastern Asia University

200 Rangsit Rd., Thanyaburi District, Pathum Thani

Tel.: 7212345-8

Business Admin

Kasem Bundit University

99/101 Phatthanakan Rd., Suan Luang, Prawet, Bangkok

Tel.: 3216930-9

Acct (BA), Finance & Banking Mgmt (BA),

Finance & Business Computer (BA), Marketing (BA)

Khon Kaen University

123 Friendship Highway Rd., A. Muang, Khon Kaen 40002

Tel.: (043) 242331-47 Fax: (043) 241216

Web site: www.kku.ac.th

Rural Development Management (MA)

King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology (North Bangkok)

1518 Pibulsongkram Rd., Bang Sue, Bangkok 10800

Tel.: 9132500-24 ext. 2408 Fax: 5874350

E-mail: graduate@kmitnb.ac.th

Comp & Info Tech (MS), Applied Sc in Stat [M.App.Sc(Stats)]

Kirik University

43/1111 Ram Inthra Rd., Bang Khen, Bangkok

Tel.: 5523500-9

Business Admin., Communication Arts, Law

Mahanakorn University of Technology

51 Moo 1 Kratumlai Nong Chok District, Bangkok

Tel.: 9883666

Engineering, Business Admin., Veterinary

Mahidol University

198/2 Somdej Pra Pinklao Rd., Bang Plad, Bangkok 10700

Tel.: 4337103 Fax: 4337083, 4358319

E-mail: orbsw@mahidol.ac.th

Public Health, Institute of Population and Social Research

National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA)

Klong Chan, Bang Kapi, Bangkok

Tel.: 3758798

Grad. Studies in Bus. & Dev Admin.

Prince of Songkla University

71/1 Moo 5, Karnjanavanich Rd., Hat Yai, Songkla

Tel.: (074) 211030-49

Web site: www.psu.ac.th

Epidemiology (MS)

Ramkhamhaeng Rd., Hua Mark, Bang Kapi, Bangkok

Tel.: 3180903

E-mail: admin@ram1.ru.ac.th

Bus. Admin., Economics, Educ., Humanities, Law, Science

Rangsit University

52/347 Muang-Ake, Lakhok, Phaholtothin Rd.,

Muang District, Pathum Thani 1200

Tel.: 5339020-4, 9972200, 9972345 Fax: 5339470

E-mail: admit@rsu.ac.th

International Business (BBA), Philosophy, Politics and Economics (BA),

Tourism & Hotel Management (BBA)

Siam University

235 Phet Kasem Rd., Phasi Chareon, Bangkok

Tel.: 8685015-7

Business Admin., Hotel & Tourism Management

Sripatum University

Bang Khen Campus, Bldg #1 Rm, 313,

61 Phaholyothin Rd., Ladyao, Chatuchak, Bangkok

Tel.: 5799120-39, 9401300-49 ext. 1432, 1147 Fax: 5611721

E-mail: intl@buntharik.spu.ac.th

International Business Communication (BA)

Stamford International College

Cha-am Rd., Ch-am District, Phetchaburi

Tel.: (032) 520789

St. John’s College

1110/5 Vibhavadee Rangsit Rd., Chatuchak, Bangkok

Tel.: 9387058-68

Business Admin., Liberal Arts

Thammasat University

2 Phrachan Rd., Bangkok

Tel.: 2216111-20

Web site: www.tu.ac.th

Business Adm (BBA,PhD), Eco (BE, ME, PhD),

Engineering (SIIT), International Relations (MIR),

Marketing (MIM)

The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC)

126/1 Vibhavadee Rangsit Road, Din Daeng, Bangkok 10400

Tel.: 6923050, 2761040 ext. 2110, 2802-4 Fax: 2762126 ext. 1710

Web site: www.utcc.ac.th

Int’l Business Mgmt (BBA), Business Comm (MBA), Int’l Business (MBA),

English for Business and Technology (MA), Int’l Banking and Finance (MBA)

Webster University (Thailand)

Moo 5, Nongsano, Sampraya Sub District,

Cha-am District, Phetchaburi

And please who keeps un-pinning this topic and why?

cheers, Ken. Where did you get that list from? I went to the MOE site but didn't see the international programme category.

Got it from a magazine that came with the Bangkok Post a few years ago. Typed it in manually (practice makes perfect and all that!).

Not seen one recently, and another gentleman I gave it to told me a few of the details are now out of date (but not too many of them!).

This site has a wicked list of schools as well: http://www.thaistudents.com

Well I'm another newbie seeking advice. Unfortunately I do not have a university degree. I joined the travel industry straight from high school. I intend coming to Thailand to do a TEFL (or similar) course so would welcome any recommendations on that front. My main concern however is the ability to get a job following the training without having a degree. I have read so many differing opinions that I am now thoroughly confused!! By the way I do not have any teaching experience either :o However my English is fairly good and I have had some travel articles published in magazines. I'd love to work in the tourism industry in Thailand but my understanding is that farangs are not permitted to do so.

Anyway...advice of any description much appreciated.

Daniel

I'm 28 and currently have a BBA and a CELTA and am doing fine in Bangkok. I've been teaching for a year and am making about 55,000 a month including a few privates. Would a DELTA in the future increase this much? I'm married to a Thai and will be making my life in Thailand and would like to get myself as comfortable as possible. I'm hoping to move to the south in a few years (Had Yai area) and was wondering if anyone would reccomend doing a DELTA? Would it allow me to make much more money or have much better options than I currently have? Also, would a MBA from a Thai university be worth more or the same as a DELTA when considering teaching prospects?

Thanks.

Well I'm another newbie seeking advice. Unfortunately I do not have a university degree. I joined the travel industry straight from high school. I intend coming to Thailand to do a TEFL (or similar) course so would welcome any recommendations on that front. My main concern however is the ability to get a job following the training without having a degree. I have read so many differing opinions that I am now thoroughly confused!! By the way I do not have any teaching experience either :o However my English is fairly good and I have had some travel articles published in magazines. I'd love to work in the tourism industry in Thailand but my understanding is that farangs are not permitted to do so.

Anyway...advice of any description much appreciated.

Daniel

Sorry, this thread had been dead so long I wasn't checking! Thanks for posting in the right place, though!

Daniel, without other specific job skills and LOADS of contacts here in Thailand, you're looking at the thin end of 30K AFTER getting a TEFL certificate- and that's probably if you're a little outside Bangkok. Ken's probably a good contact for advice on where it's easiest to get jobs and WPs without degrees.

With your experience in the travel industry, you may find it worthwhile working for programs teaching flight attendants, tour operators, and other tourist industry workers- but it takes time to find those programs and they probably won't take a newbie.

I'd recommend a TEFL course and one or two years in a semi-rural high school while you figure out if all this is really "you" or not.

"Steven"

I'm 28 and currently have a BBA and a CELTA and am doing fine in Bangkok. I've been teaching for a year and am making about 55,000 a month including a few privates. Would a DELTA in the future increase this much? I'm married to a Thai and will be making my life in Thailand and would like to get myself as comfortable as possible. I'm hoping to move to the south in a few years (Had Yai area) and was wondering if anyone would reccomend doing a DELTA? Would it allow me to make much more money or have much better options than I currently have? Also, would a MBA from a Thai university be worth more or the same as a DELTA when considering teaching prospects?

Thanks.

Honestly, once you've got a degree of some sort and at some level and /or a TEFL plus a few years of experience, the only thing qualifications really typically do for you in Thailand is increase your chance of GETTING the job (assuming there's actually a competition among candidates)- the conditions of the job are almost always fixed by beancounters with tunnel vision at the beginning.

The DELTA may be useful to you at the upper end of the market (if you were teaching English in one of the hoity-toity super-duper International Schools), but I'm not sure on this point.

It might also substitute for a master's at the uni's, but since they pay terrible salaries anyway you'd be taking a big pay cut and I wouldn't recommend making the move if your current income is stable.

I'd say the DELTA would be worthwhile if you are:

a. worried about a surplus of qualified foreign workers in Thailand in the future (ha!), or

b. thinking of moving on out to somewhere else.

A Thai MBA degree from a Thai institution is worth much less than its foreign equivalent outside Thailand; inside Thailand it may be recognized to some extent, but since everyone cheats and passes no matter what, connections are much more important. In any case, it wouldn't help you for English teaching any more (though perhaps no less) than a non-TEFL degree of any other type from anywhere else.

Just a personal opinion, but don't count on making the same money in Hat Yai unless you're really going to expand your private work.

"Steven"