BANGKOK 24 May 2019 03:44
Sign in to follow this  
Ijustwannateach

Questions About Qualifications

I've got a PhD. in Computing - What should I be expecting in terms of pay / benefits etc..?

:o For teaching English? Same as the rest of us. As I mentioned to the previous poster, the salary is typically set by the job, not by the qualifications. The qualifications only increase your chance of getting certain jobs. Assuming that you've had some teaching experience, you could probably wiggle your way into the middle-range TEFL jobs in Bangkok running at about 35-40K. On the other hand, if you could (and were willing to) teach math and/or science to primary school/high school age, you could easily pull down 40-50K.

There may be openings for you in the "real" international schools, but as a local hire you'll take a pay cut compared to people hired through "the network" internationally- not too shabby, though, probably in the 70-80K range plus benefits. Finally, if you actually want to work in computers, there are a number of international firms here that will hire you as an international worker for the standard expat rates, assuming they need you, they want you, and you can do the job.

"Steven"

My friend came over from England six months ago, he had no degree and no TEFL <deleted>, anyway he went to Kho san road bought a degree from Manchester and a TEFL from England and is now teaching in BKK and getting paid B54,000 per month.

Cheers Mango :o

My friend came over from England six months ago, he had no degree and no TEFL <deleted>, anyway he went to Kho san road bought a degree from Manchester and a TEFL from England and is now teaching in BKK and getting paid B54,000 per month.

Cheers Mango :o

His first job? How many interviews did he do?

Were the authenticity of the documents ever challenged by anyone?

Sounds like rich pickins. See ya in December.

Ciao. :D

It is possible to fake it here, especially if one is actually intelligent enough to do so- I have no functional beef with people who do so effectively enough that no one knows the difference. However, your friend should be warned that if he is in the position of teaching students who know more about the subject than he does (especially in math, science, etc.) he may be found out rather quickly- I've heard of more than one case where the teacher was fired over this kind of issue, especially at the sort of schools that pay more.

Ironically, it's not impossible to get work at the better schools without a degree and ADMITTING it, assuming the right kind of experience and connections- and then there's no danger of being debunked.

I'll be much, much, much more impressed if you report that this same friend KEEPS his job for a whole calendar year and even gets rehired.

"Steven"

Steve:

I think i posted a question in wrong area before so perhaps you can answer it here for me :o

What is the Teachers License? process for them to get it? pro's and con's? Will it help me land that nicer job for 50k rather than my private school at 35k now. Thank you for all infomation you can give me on this.

I've answered your question in your other post!

There's no 'real' advantage in obtaining one (your school will generally (always?) need to help you to obtain it) as there's two, one for you and one for the school, so when you do get a different job they'll still need to apply for their one anyway. I don't think it will in any way at all improve your chances of finding better paid work!

Hi! I'm quite new in this teaching stuff, although I'm teaching for like 4 months now, i have bachelor of arts degree major in mass com. and im teaching english com in a technology school here in issan, recently my school sibmitted my papers to moe in order to obtain my teacher license for my wp, im wondering if up to when do i have to wait for this teacher license because now i have a non immig b and i need to have my wp before it expire which will be in around 21/2 months, and my other question is if moe will find my degree "qaulified" to teach english?

Hi! I'm quite new in this teaching stuff, although I'm teaching for like 4 months now, i have bachelor of arts degree major in mass com. and im teaching english com in a technology school here in issan, recently my school sibmitted my papers to moe in order to obtain my teacher license for my wp, im wondering if up to when do i have to wait for this teacher license because now i have a non immig b and i need to have my wp before it expire which will be in around 21/2 months, and my other question is if moe will find my degree "qaulified" to teach english?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but... are you asking if they will find out it is fake?? just a question no need to freak out :D from what i was told it should take 2 days for MOE to give the school the license. then they take that to get your work permit and that should be around 45 days maybe less maybe more.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but... are you asking if they will find out it is fake?? just a question no need to freak out :D from what i was told it should take 2 days for MOE to give the school the license. then they take that to get your work permit and that should be around 45 days maybe less maybe more.

Its ok...the degree is not "fake" though, im just wondering because the school where im teaching got no absolutely any idea because since im the first foreign teacher there...if it just take 45 days more or less then ill be ok ...thanks for your reply

Its ok...the degree is not "fake" though, im just wondering because the school where im teaching got no absolutely any idea because since im the first foreign teacher there...if it just take 45 days more or less then ill be ok ...thanks for your reply

:D as long as all your paper work is in order, there should not be any problems for your school obtaining anything you need. The MEO is actualy coming to my school this coming week and i can ask them a few questions about it all. I am still wondering some things myself about new rules i have been hearing. i will let you know what is said. :o

:D as long as all your paper work is in order, there should not be any problems for your school obtaining anything you need. The MEO is actualy coming to my school this coming week and i can ask them a few questions about it all. I am still wondering some things myself about new rules i have been hearing. i will let you know what is said. :o

thanks a lot!!! :D