Zoloft

farang1979

It is classified as a 'dangerous drug" in Thailand and requires that First Grade Pharmacist is available, on duty at any pharmacy which sells the medication. Because records of all sales have to be maintained very few pharmacies can be bothered with the hassle of meeting both requirements and therefore do not stock the medication. Your best bet is to try one(or more) of the large pharmacies, smaller ones for sure will not stock it. 

Moved to Health Forum.

Sertraline (Zoloft and other brands) is sold OTC in Thailand so any larger pharmacy with a "real" pharmacist will have it.  It is a common med and not at all hard to find.

Local brand Sertraline GPO costs much less and works just as well.

Moved to Health Forum.

Sertraline (Zoloft and other brands) is sold OTC in Thailand so any larger pharmacy with a "real" pharmacist will have it.  It is a common med and not at all hard to find.

Local brand Sertraline GPO costs much less and works just as well.

Sheryl. Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is Sertraline I was interested in. I have a prescription from my doctor in the UK. Is it possible to bring medicine into Thailand with a prescription? Also could you elaborate on the larger pharmacies; Do you mean Watson’s? And what do you mean by “real” pharmacist?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is classified as a 'dangerous drug" in Thailand and requires that First Grade Pharmacist is available, on duty at any pharmacy which sells the medication. Because records of all sales have to be maintained very few pharmacies can be bothered with the hassle of meeting both requirements and therefore do not stock the medication. Your best bet is to try one(or more) of the large pharmacies, smaller ones for sure will not stock it. 

What would I need to take with me to get the medicine? Any pharmacies you’d recommend?

Watsons's is exactly what I don't mean. They  sell mainly cosmetics and toiletries and have just a tiny desk for pharmacy items,

I mean a stand-along pharmacy that primarily sells medications. They are plentiful in Thailand. And by a real pharmacist I mean one with an actual degree as opposed to someone behind the counter selling meds with no training at all, which is more common that you might think especially in the provinces.

You can bring in up to a 30 day supply with you, make sure it is in well labelled prescription bottle (the main issue, in the unlikely event customs checks, is that it not be mistaken for a controlled substance).

While the rule is 30 days they do not usually count out the pills and as long as the quantity looks small and consistent with personal use it is usually fine.

Watsons's is exactly what I don't mean. They  sell mainly cosmetics and toiletries and have just a tiny desk for pharmacy items,

I mean a stand-along pharmacy that primarily sells medications. They are plentiful in Thailand. And by a real pharmacist I mean one with an actual degree as opposed to someone behind the counter selling meds with no training at all, which is more common that you might think especially in the provinces.

You can bring in up to a 30 day supply with you, make sure it is in well labelled prescription bottle (the main issue, in the unlikely event customs checks, is that it not be mistaken for a controlled substance).

While the rule is 30 days they do not usually count out the pills and as long as the quantity looks small and consistent with personal use it is usually fine.

Just replying to your earlier reply on this one Sheryl. Again thank you. Ok I’m thinking Lab Pharmacy or perhaps Boots then? When you say stand alone pharmacies, there are many little pharmacy shops especially around the Sukhumvit area. And yes I do know what you mean about the pharmacists now although it’s difficult to tell which is which.

That also makes sense about the 30-day rule, I can imagine customs have got bigger fish to fry than busting a few anti depressants. But I take on board what you’re saying I’d make sure it is labelled clearly.

I’ll be staying in the Thonburi area of the city.

Boots and Watson's are NOT the type of places you want to go to find a med like Sertaline, although I was pleasantly surprised at the Boots in Swampy the time I left Chiang Mai without my blood pressure meds and was able to find them there, with a real pharmacist on duty when I tried to buy during a flight layover.

In general, if you look in the store and see more cosmetics and personal care products than medications, then you're in the wrong place.  Some of the pharmacies along Suvhumvit should have the med the OP needs.  The generic form is very common and inexpensive in Thailand.

I get my Sertraline from the government psychiatric hospital in Korat. In and out in about 2 hours. Have to see the doctor first. I'm a great believer in that one shouldn't self medicate, especially if you're depressive.

9 hours ago, farang1979 said:

Hi & thanks for your reply. Is this a store you have used before for this medicine? Thanks

No, but I use them for other medicine that other stores don't stock. They seem to have a very comprehensive range, certainly better than Watsons or Boots.

It is not hard to find this medication!!!!

Definitely Fascino's will have it , so will other large pharmacies on the same street (these are all right near Siriraj hospital). And most other large pharmacies in Thonburi

Boots is not what I mean, like Watson's it sells mostly toiletries and has minimal pharmacy service. I don't know what you mean by a Lab pharmacy.

It is not hard to find regular, dedicated pharmacies in Thailand, they are all over the place. Usually green or light blue storefront,, and the word "ยา" on the sign (often "ขายยา") and you can see counters of medicine through the window.

Look for a large one with air con.

It seems that doctors have been treating depression wrongly? 

'Depression is a PHYSICAL not mental illness': Cambridge psychiatrist claims the condition is actually caused by inflammation in the brain

• There hasn’t been a significant advance in treatment of depression in 40 years
  • Cambridge University's Edward Bullmore believes the problem is inflammation
  • Professor Bullmore argues that depression is not a mental, but a physical and should be treated differently

Edward Thomas BullmoreFRCPFRCPsychFMedSci (born 27 September 1960) is a British Neuropsychiatristneuroscientist, and academic. Since 1999, he has been Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge. In 2005, he also became Vice-President of Experimental Medicine at GlaxoSmithKline while maintaining his post at University of Cambridge.

Let us hope this is a breakthrough to a cure.

It is not hard to find this medication!!!!

Definitely Fascino's will have it , so will other large pharmacies on the same street (these are all right near Siriraj hospital). And most other large pharmacies in Thonburi

Boots is not what I mean, like Watson's it sells mostly toiletries and has minimal pharmacy service. I don't know what you mean by a Lab pharmacy.

It is not hard to find regular, dedicated pharmacies in Thailand, they are all over the place. Usually green or light blue storefront,, and the word "ยา" on the sign (often "ขายยา") and you can see counters of medicine through the window.

Look for a large one with air con.

Thanks Sheryl. Have never looked for it before, however have heard it can be tricky getting medication sometimes so wanted to check.

I know the pharmacies you mean, I guess they always look at you like you’re looking for something illicit as they have a bunch of people looking for Xanax or other prescription drugs which they can’t supply.

I know one of the Boots in Silom had a “real” pharmacist in it who once helped me and gave me lots of info in fluent English. Opposite in the Central Silom was a LAB pharmacy, which is a brand of pharmacy in Bangkok; maybe there’s not that many.

Anyway, thanks very much for your info much appreciated.

You don't know  the pharmacies I mean if "they have a bunch of people looking for Xanax or other prescription drugs which they can’t supply". And that is unlikely to me the case in the Thonburi area.

I am not referring to small pharmacies around Soi Nana and the like. These among other things often stock counterfeits and are best avoided.

I am referring to the omnipresent pharmacies where ordinary Thai people purchase medications.

If you find storekeepers are looking at you suspiciously, better check your appearance, dress etc. This is not usual. 

You don't know  the pharmacies I mean if "they have a bunch of people looking for Xanax or other prescription drugs which they can’t supply". And that is unlikely to me the case in the Thonburi area.

I am not referring to small pharmacies around Soi Nana and the like. These among other things often stock counterfeits and are best avoided.

I am referring to the omnipresent pharmacies where ordinary Thai people purchase medications.

If you find storekeepers are looking at you suspiciously, better check your appearance, dress etc. This is not usual. 

I do mean know the pharmacies you mean, Sheryl, I’ve lived there long enough. I’ve also bought medication at these pharmacies before too but usually pretty innocuous stuff.

I actually don’t frequent Soi Nana so keep your assumptions to yourself.

And I don’t even mean eyeing me suspiciously either. Thanks for your help, I’ll leave it there.

Archived