Alexa in Thailand

dddave

I'm currently visiting the US.  A friend purchased an Amazon Alexa Echo 2  speaker and despite a host of privacy concerns, it does seem to be a pretty cool device.  For instance, just saying "Alexa: play L A Woman" and on it comes. "Alexa: Wake me at 8AM" and it does just that.

The problem is, Alexa seems to use many content providers such as Spotify, Amazon Music, ect that are not available in Thailand. Some of the better podcast providers also seem to be restricted to the US.

I'd be interested in the experience of any who have already brought an Alexa Echo to Thailand and how it has worked out.  Can it be connected through a VPN to access regionally restricted content or does the Amazon environment prevent that?

Are you able to source locally available content providers to easily get music and podcasts?

I'm really tempted to bring an Alexa Echo 2 back with me but not if lack of available content renders it useless.

I have the cheapest alexa and I feel its wasted money.

I can't use my Amazon account and Thai Spotify account together so I can't order alexa to play any music.

My friend however managed to get his alexa working with Spotify by making a new amazon account not telling that he lives in Thailand.

My alexa is now collecting dust, trying to sell it to my friend for 1000 baht.

Further I thought I could ask alexa all sorts of questions when I am reading a history book but no, sorry I don't understand the question is the answer, haha.

I've been using 3 Echo Dots I brought to Bangkok from USA since August. I use dots because I have a Sonos system setup, and the dots work with my Sonos to play my US Spotify account through the Sonos. If I didn't have Sonos I would have gotten the regular Echo for better sound.

There are several radio stations which I listen to from America which won't work outside the USA. In order to access these, I purchased a VPN router (ASUS AC1900), purchased a VPN account, and configured the router with that VPN account. When I want to listen to these stations I can switch the echo to that router, then back to my regular router for normal use. If I was accessing these stations daily I would leave it on the ASUS router but that's not my pattern.

I also have Philips Hue lightbulbs throughout the house and use the echo to control them (on/off, color, brightness, etc.). And I have a Harmony Hub IR blaster also integrated with the Echo so I can use voice commands to control my TV/entertainment system (e.g. turn on TV, turn on CNN, turn on Minix, etc.). 

The echo is very useful to me in the kitchen (set a timer for 40 minutes), adding items to my shopping list, etc. And setting other various alarms and reminders. It's become a very integrated part of my home.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

I have the cheapest alexa and I feel its wasted money.

I can't use my Amazon account and Thai Spotify account together so I can't order alexa to play any music.

My friend however managed to get his alexa working with Spotify by making a new amazon account not telling that he lives in Thailand.

My alexa is now collecting dust, trying to sell it to my friend for 1000 baht.

Further I thought I could ask alexa all sorts of questions when I am reading a history book but no, sorry I don't understand the question is the answer, haha.

Are you still trying to sell it?

• 4 months later...

Archived