Prepaid SIM card validity

Barley

Couple of days ago I spoke with True customer support - gentleman spoke very good English :)

I was asking how to keep my SIM card valid.

Here were his answers:

Tourist SIMs switch off automatically after 90 dsys

Normal SIMs can be valid up to one year. Initially the SIM has a short validity but then every recharge of at least 10TBH of a normal SIM extends its validity by 30 days up to 1 year after which the SIM can no longer be extended.

He also says that I don't need to worry about having activity on my card to keep it active (if for example I go overseas for 4 months). If I don't use my card during that period it will still be active when I come back, provided the validity through recharges on the card was long enough.

Now I made my own test re. recharges and validity, and I found the following on my card which I bought around 17April:

10TBH recharges extended validity by 30 days until 12 April 2019.

The next 10 TBH recharge only extended validity by 17 days to 29 April 2019.

In the forum I read of some members keeping their prepaids active for many years. How do they do it?

Is activity needed or is recharging sufficient?

• Confused 1

Most people probably live here so maintaining a balance, expiry, activity is less challenging.

1 hour ago, Barley said:

The next 10 TBH recharge only extended validity by 17 days to 29 April 2019.

This was a result of hitting the 365/366 day maximum expiry window.

Generally speaking, most prepaid promotions/packages associated with SIM/number/account have a maximum expiry of 365 days, even specialized SIMs (like the Tourist SIM) can be transitioned to a "normal" promotion, with a phone call to customer service or a visit to a shop.

Some sort of activity (outbound call, top-up) maybe be required every 90 days in the T's & C's, but it seems like this may not be enforced. In fact, operators may keep an account dormant for 90 days after expiry before recycling the number, although there are a fixed amount of numbers so recycling is required. So recharging and maintaining a valid expiry is sufficient.

I think TrueMove H also allows one to purchase extended expiry, assuming you meet the requirements... http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/news/detail/292

• Like 2

Thanks for the info and tip about extending.

According to your link:

*934*180# will extend validity by 180 days on True for a very reasonable 12TBH charge provided your number has been active for at least 90 days OR you had at least 200TBH accumulated usage.

CAVEAT: Not working on Tourist SIM!

• Thanks 2

I had a "regular" SIM (long before the "tourist SIMs) many years ago that required regular top-ups to extend it. I was on a "3 month in, 1 month out" rotation and the only way to keep the SIM active was to add money to it just before I left and then as soon as I got back again but, if you were a little late getting back, too bad so sad the number was cancelled (within a very short time after expiring). I knew a couple others that ran into the same problem and even went to the phone company to get their number reactivated only to be told that it had already been reassigned !

I had 1,500 baht credit plugged into my SIM at one point and hit a snag - it absolutely would not let me add more credit ! Apparently there is an upper limit on how much credit you can have ! I ended up losing that SIM (as I wasn't able to get back soon enough on one trip and it expired despite all the credit on it).

I found out about the "1 year" SIM after that (naturally) and have had that SIM for what, 12 years now ? It is great. Every time I add credit to it, it extends the validity period by a year. (So if I add 200 baht to it today, the expiry date would be 1 May 2019. If I add another 300 baht on 18 June, the expiry date moves to 18 June 2019.)

(I just checked it and the current expiry date is 9 Feb 2019. As I only have 30 baht credit left I will top it up now and then recheck. Yep - just topped it up and checked and now I'm good until 1 May 2019.)

• Like 1

Wow that's great! Very interesting information! Thank you!

Do all providers have this one year SIM?

How/where would one be able to get it?

Is the one year feature reflected in any way in the price?

The one I have is from AIS 12-Call. I'm sure most phone shops will have the "1 year" SIMs and I'd suspect that most of the providers have SIMs similar to the AIS one.

No idea about the price, I got mine a long, long time ago and haven't had to price a new one out since then. I told a friend of mine about it a couple months ago as he was in the same situation (leaving the country and couldn't keep the SIM topped up and was tired of having to get a new number every time he came back). I forgot to check if he did get the 1 year one before he left this time.
I don't recall price being an issue when I got mine, but unless it was some crazy, outlandish price I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it any ways, especially considering how much I had to keep pumping into the old SIMs (and was never using).

• Like 1

*1013 <dial> for computer voice guidance (IVR)

1. Application instructions

• Direct number (USSD) press *113 *desired extension days (30/90/180 days) *9#
    • Automated reply system IVR dial *100
    • Automated reply system IVR dial *1013
    • mydtac eService
  2. Service rates

• 2 THB service fee for 30 day extension
    • 6 THB service fee for 90 day extension
    • 12 THB service fee for 180 day extension
    • Service rates above are VAT inclusive. System will send notification SMS upon successful service activation,
  • Like 1

[mention=33357]Jdietz[/mention]

Great!

Now we have the codes for dtac and True (For True *934*{30 or 90 or 180 for desired days}# - same prices as dtac, i. e. 2TBH/30 days) for extending validity in this thread.

I assume AIS will also have a similar service. Maybe someone else will know.

AIS seems to be the odd one out, but there you go:

Source: http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

How do I extend the expiry date validity of my SIM?

• Check your Validity

To check your date of expiry you can use these USSD codes:

• AIS –  *121#
  • DTAC – *101*9#
  • True – #123#

Extend your SIM’s validity

To extend your validity:

• AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#  Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package
  • DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.
    • Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
    • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • TrueMove H –  “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month
    • Press : * 934 * 30 # for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 90 # for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 180 # for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    •  
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

Dtac dial *1013  ( 2 THB per 30 days extension, max 365 days outstanding)

Something similar around for 1-2-call SIMs?

(Question came about two minutes late :-( Still 30 Baht for a month is quite a lot.

Edited by hkt83100

I kept mine valid by having someone add 100 Baht every few months to the already decent balance I kept on it. Then I converted to post-pay account 12 years ago.

I am not sure if still accurate but DTAC was killing off all numbers that had no activity call in or out for 46 days...regardless of balance.

I have an old DTAC package: Simple2baht/Min according to the DTAC app. It's a little more expensive than some of their other packages but every time I reload it's valid for 365 days. Had it for some years now. All the add on packages work with it.

• Like 1

[mention=74340]doodle[/mention]

That confirms my suspicion that the long range SIMs are a little bit more expensive.

I am not sure if still accurate but DTAC was killing off all numbers that had no activity call in or out for 46 days...regardless of balance.

According to dtac T&C (and from what I heard all other operators too) they now reserve the right to disconnect your SIM after *90* days of inactivity regardless of validity date shown. But I also heard that this is not being practiced. Nevertheless, if you keep a high balance or really want to keep your number, and want to be certain then probably the cheapest way to keep it active while out of the country, is to send an SMS every 90 days to someone in the country where you are currently logged in.

NOTE: This does not apply to *TOURIST* SIMs - they will get disabled after about 90 days of purchase anyway.

I know from other Asian countries operator's that the balances on inactive SIMs were a target for making easy money, so much so that some governments needed to step in to protect the consumer by legislation.  

I have been using my True Tourist SIM since September 2011 and is still working. Had to register my address a few years ago but still using it for International calls and as a back up phone to receive pin numbers etc for added security.

• Like 1

Today I have been to 2 dtac places in 2 different malls and one AIS shop.

All of them said that they don't have the long validity prepaid SIM cards any longer.

They said that maximum validity is now one year.

I specifically asked about the Simply2Baht dtac SIM and they said it's not being sold any longer.

AIS said that 20 THB is needed to extend validity by one month (before 365 days are up) and I know from my own tests that True extends validity by 30 days if one makes a 10 THB top up.

Top ups can be made one after the other on the same day.

On 30/04/2018 at 7:16 AM, Barley said:

Thanks for the info and tip about extending.

According to your link:

*934*180# will extend validity by 180 days on True for a very reasonable 12TBH charge provided your number has been active for at least 90 days OR you had at least 200TBH accumulated usage.

CAVEAT: Not working on Tourist SIM!

Mine does (and always has) but only lets you do it in 1 month increments at 2 baht a pop so effectively the same just got to do it a few times.

*934*30# call

Its clearly a forerunner to your similar code I reckon but 10000% works have used the code several years and its a tourist sim. Its currently dated till mid october 2018

Edited by Chivas

18 hours ago, Barley said:

All of them said that they don't have the long validity prepaid SIM cards any longer.

I specifically asked about the Simply2Baht dtac SIM and they said it's not being sold any longer.

AIS said that 20 THB is needed to extend validity by one month (before 365 days are up) and I know from my own tests that True extends validity by 30 days if one makes a 10 THB top up.

Can be 10(12 incl.) baht with AIS too. They just mean 20 baht from a AIS machine.

On 01/05/2018 at 12:10 PM, Barley said:

[mention=74340]doodle[/mention]

That confirms my suspicion that the long range SIMs are a little bit more expensive.

According to dtac T&C (and from what I heard all other operators too) they now reserve the right to disconnect your SIM after *90* days of inactivity regardless of validity date shown. But I also heard that this is not being practiced. Nevertheless, if you keep a high balance or really want to keep your number, and want to be certain then probably the cheapest way to keep it active while out of the country, is to send an SMS every 90 days to someone in the country where you are currently logged in.

NOTE: This does not apply to *TOURIST* SIMs - they will get disabled after about 90 days of purchase anyway.

I know from other Asian countries operator's that the balances on inactive SIMs were a target for making easy money, so much so that some governments needed to step in to protect the consumer by legislation.  

That is wrong.  They get suspended if you don't top up within those 90 days. You can only have 90 days of validity in advance.

Older Tourist SIMs didn't have the restriction of only being able to have 90 days of validity in advance.

As to activity, simply have your SIM set up for Roaming and pop it into your phone once in a while.

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Mine does (and always has) but only lets you do it in 1 month increments at 2 baht a pop so effectively the same just got to do it a few times.

*934*30# call

Its clearly a forerunner to your similar code I reckon but 10000% works have used the code several years and its a tourist sim. Its currently dated till mid october 2018

It's not a forerunner, but part of the same series. i.e. *934*90#

That is wrong.  They get suspended if you don't top up within those 90 days. You can only have 90 days of validity in advance.

Could you clarify this please?

I got a new True card and did 10 top ups at 10Tbh ea. all on the same day, and my validity now shows 1 year.

2 minutes ago, Barley said:

Could you clarify this please?

I got a new True card and did 10 top ups at 10Tbh ea. all on the same day, and my validity now shows 1 year.

I'm writing about Tourist SIM with 90 days advance validity. Is yours a Tourist SIM?

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm writing about Tourist SIM with 90 days advance validity. Is yours a Tourist SIM?

Tourist Sim will advance a year if you follow my instructions a couple of posts back and use the correct short code that actually works. Not sure how much clearer I could make that before

On 5/2/2018 at 8:30 PM, Barley said:

AIS NetMarathon SIM,

6 months validity + 6 months internet = 600bht

1 year validity + 1 year internet access = 1,200bht

Bought one 2 months back, no topups required while your internet access is valid.

Staff in Thai shops generally know nothing about their products.

• Like 2