BANGKOK 26 March 2019 02:49
Barley

Prepaid SIM card validity

If it is prepaid, check your remaining time.

• AIS –  *121#
  • DTAC – *101*9#
  • True – #123#

If it is postpaid, keep paying..

I kept mine valid by having someone add 100 Baht every few months to the already decent balance I kept on it. Then I converted to post-pay account 12 years ago.

I am not sure if still accurate but DTAC was killing off all numbers that had no activity call in or out for 46 days...regardless of balance.

I have an old DTAC package: Simple2baht/Min according to the DTAC app. It's a little more expensive than some of their other packages but every time I reload it's valid for 365 days. Had it for some years now. All the add on packages work with it.

• Like 1

[mention=74340]doodle[/mention]

That confirms my suspicion that the long range SIMs are a little bit more expensive.

I am not sure if still accurate but DTAC was killing off all numbers that had no activity call in or out for 46 days...regardless of balance.

According to dtac T&C (and from what I heard all other operators too) they now reserve the right to disconnect your SIM after *90* days of inactivity regardless of validity date shown. But I also heard that this is not being practiced. Nevertheless, if you keep a high balance or really want to keep your number, and want to be certain then probably the cheapest way to keep it active while out of the country, is to send an SMS every 90 days to someone in the country where you are currently logged in.

NOTE: This does not apply to *TOURIST* SIMs - they will get disabled after about 90 days of purchase anyway.

I know from other Asian countries operator's that the balances on inactive SIMs were a target for making easy money, so much so that some governments needed to step in to protect the consumer by legislation.  

I have been using my True Tourist SIM since September 2011 and is still working. Had to register my address a few years ago but still using it for International calls and as a back up phone to receive pin numbers etc for added security.

• Like 1

Today I have been to 2 dtac places in 2 different malls and one AIS shop.

All of them said that they don't have the long validity prepaid SIM cards any longer.

They said that maximum validity is now one year.

I specifically asked about the Simply2Baht dtac SIM and they said it's not being sold any longer.

AIS said that 20 THB is needed to extend validity by one month (before 365 days are up) and I know from my own tests that True extends validity by 30 days if one makes a 10 THB top up.

Top ups can be made one after the other on the same day.

On 30/04/2018 at 7:16 AM, Barley said:

Thanks for the info and tip about extending.

According to your link:

*934*180# will extend validity by 180 days on True for a very reasonable 12TBH charge provided your number has been active for at least 90 days OR you had at least 200TBH accumulated usage.

CAVEAT: Not working on Tourist SIM!

Mine does (and always has) but only lets you do it in 1 month increments at 2 baht a pop so effectively the same just got to do it a few times.

*934*30# call

Its clearly a forerunner to your similar code I reckon but 10000% works have used the code several years and its a tourist sim. Its currently dated till mid october 2018

Edited by Chivas

18 hours ago, Barley said:

All of them said that they don't have the long validity prepaid SIM cards any longer.

I specifically asked about the Simply2Baht dtac SIM and they said it's not being sold any longer.

AIS said that 20 THB is needed to extend validity by one month (before 365 days are up) and I know from my own tests that True extends validity by 30 days if one makes a 10 THB top up.

Can be 10(12 incl.) baht with AIS too. They just mean 20 baht from a AIS machine.

On 01/05/2018 at 12:10 PM, Barley said:

[mention=74340]doodle[/mention]

That confirms my suspicion that the long range SIMs are a little bit more expensive.

According to dtac T&C (and from what I heard all other operators too) they now reserve the right to disconnect your SIM after *90* days of inactivity regardless of validity date shown. But I also heard that this is not being practiced. Nevertheless, if you keep a high balance or really want to keep your number, and want to be certain then probably the cheapest way to keep it active while out of the country, is to send an SMS every 90 days to someone in the country where you are currently logged in.

NOTE: This does not apply to *TOURIST* SIMs - they will get disabled after about 90 days of purchase anyway.

I know from other Asian countries operator's that the balances on inactive SIMs were a target for making easy money, so much so that some governments needed to step in to protect the consumer by legislation.  

That is wrong.  They get suspended if you don't top up within those 90 days. You can only have 90 days of validity in advance.

Older Tourist SIMs didn't have the restriction of only being able to have 90 days of validity in advance.

As to activity, simply have your SIM set up for Roaming and pop it into your phone once in a while.

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Mine does (and always has) but only lets you do it in 1 month increments at 2 baht a pop so effectively the same just got to do it a few times.

*934*30# call

Its clearly a forerunner to your similar code I reckon but 10000% works have used the code several years and its a tourist sim. Its currently dated till mid october 2018

It's not a forerunner, but part of the same series. i.e. *934*90#

That is wrong.  They get suspended if you don't top up within those 90 days. You can only have 90 days of validity in advance.

Could you clarify this please?

I got a new True card and did 10 top ups at 10Tbh ea. all on the same day, and my validity now shows 1 year.

2 minutes ago, Barley said:

Could you clarify this please?

I got a new True card and did 10 top ups at 10Tbh ea. all on the same day, and my validity now shows 1 year.

I'm writing about Tourist SIM with 90 days advance validity. Is yours a Tourist SIM?

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It's not a forerunner, but part of the same series. i.e. *934*90#

Dear oh dear

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm writing about Tourist SIM with 90 days advance validity. Is yours a Tourist SIM?

Tourist Sim will advance a year if you follow my instructions a couple of posts back and use the correct short code that actually works. Not sure how much clearer I could make that before

On 5/2/2018 at 8:30 PM, Barley said:

AIS NetMarathon SIM,

6 months validity + 6 months internet = 600bht

1 year validity + 1 year internet access = 1,200bht

Bought one 2 months back, no topups required while your internet access is valid.

Staff in Thai shops generally know nothing about their products.

• Like 2