Prepaid SIM card validity

Barley

On 12/20/2020 at 3:13 AM, Eindhoven said:

No, they don't. Validity days are enough.

Last time i used my ais sim card was in May 2019 in Japan. Some months After my trip i extended my sim card for 365 days. The validity date was november 2020. So it's been more than 1 year i did not use the sim card. Today (december 25) i opened the ais app and it said my card it's still valid. I've just extended the validity again! 

I forgot to mention for the first time i was to able topup my ais sim card with the app topup page using my no thai credit card (i'm living in Europa, not in Asia). 12 x 10 baht = 120 baht for 1 extra 1 year validity. 

Edited by Titjy

On 12/20/2020 at 2:00 AM, Barley said:

A very good summary of extending validity for Thai SIM cards can be found here:

https://medium.com/mobiletopup/prepaid-sim-validity-in-thailand-b4de14269238

There is one question which I haven't found an authoritative answer on: Do Thai SIM cards need activity to stay active?

Right now I send an SMS from the country I am in to a different mobile number in the same country every 60-90 days to keep my cards active.

I think this is needed for AIS, but it may not be needed for True - but I am not sure. If someone would have an authoritative answer, I would be happy to see it.

So yes, validity are enough. No need to keep a kind of activity like make a call or send a sms to extend the validity. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:46 PM, Eindhoven said:

It's 24 baht on DTAC too. The only one that doesn't extend validity for 2 baht per month, is AIS.

does it still like that or did they change their service, maybe not the best service for the ones not using the phone that much

On 12/20/2020 at 6:30 AM, Barley said:

There is one question which I haven't found an authoritative answer on: Do Thai SIM cards need activity to stay active?

Right now I send an SMS from the country I am in to a different mobile number in the same country every 60-90 days to keep my cards active.

I think this is needed for AIS, but it may not be needed for True - but I am not sure. If someone would have an authoritative answer, I would be happy to see it.

I never send SMS's like that.

On and off use the App My AIS which sends an OTP.

That's all... and my SIM stays alive... so far ???? 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, Farang two dot zero said:

No worries my gf go to Dtac shop and they refilled the sim card for 12 months 240 bath !

On 6/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, Chivas said:

Expensive to say the least. That would have been 24 Baht on Truemove

But you can use that Credit (240 bath) in addition to prolonging the life of the SIM - am I correct?

On 12/20/2020 at 1:00 AM, Barley said:

No activity needed with AIS - unused balance remains until the validity date.

You can do a FREE  balance check with AIS from abroad as long as you have roaming enabled *121# 

I still have one of the old 08 numbers where they later had to add a 9, from 1 -2 never call.

It was good for five years until I was so stupid to agree to a special offer and it went down to one year. 

The validity now is only good for one year. Perhaps you can get an older number from a shop/friend/relative?

Edited by teacherclaire

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2018 at 1:16 PM, Barley said:

Thanks for the info and tip about extending.

According to your link:

*934*180# will extend validity by 180 days on True for a very reasonable 12TBH charge provided your number has been active for at least 90 days OR you had at least 200TBH accumulated usage.

CAVEAT: Not working on Tourist SIM!

Thank you very much, extended mine...........

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

I managed to subscribe to the Dtac internet offer for 30 days at 799 baht paying directly with my Bangkok Bank account but how can I extend my sim card for 12 more months can I do it as for the purchase of the internet no limit?

Day Give-Away Service

Direct Number (USSD)

*113*number of days you need 30, 90, 180# e.g. *103*180# costing 15 baht for 180 days of extra validity.

IVR

*1013 Press 9

DTAC offer at 799 baht? What offer exactly would that be?

When you can obtain up to 30 Mbps(3.75 MB/s) of non-stop data for 265 baht per month, 799 baht doesn't seems like an attractive deal.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, Bruno123 said:

Day Give-Away Service

Direct Number (USSD)

*113*number of days you need 30, 90, 180# e.g. *103*180# costing 15 baht for 180 days of extra validity.

IVR

*1013 Press 9

DTAC offer at 799 baht? What offer exactly would that be?

When you can obtain up to 30 Mbps(3.75 MB/s) of non-stop data for 265 baht per month, 799 baht doesn't seems like an attractive deal.

Thank you for your details, I'll give you a screen of the offer I took because it seems that it is now at 855 baht !

I am in prepaid offer not in subscription...

73.jpg

74.png

Edited by Farang two dot zero

2 minutes ago, Farang two dot zero said:

Thank you for your details, I'll give you a screen of the offer I took because it seems that it is now at 855 baht !

I am in prepaid offer not in subscription...

73.jpg

T

That is (relatively) terrible. 799 baht + VAT equalling 854.93

If you take a new DTAC number , you can get unlimited 15 Mbps for 1400 baht covering a 12 month period(equivalent to 117 baht per month) or you can take an unlimited 8 Mbps as a 30 day pack @ 150 baht.  If you want to keep your number whilst doing so, you have two choices; Port your number to another network and avail yourself of the new SIM unlimited packs from 150 baht per 30 days or call DTAC for your MNP code and once you get it, suggest to them that you won't move if they can apply capped speed unlimited pack to your account.

7 minutes ago, Farang two dot zero said:

Thank you for your clarifications however I stay in Thailand only 41 days a year and my number is used in particular with Bangkok Bank. On the other hand, do you know how to extend my number to 365 days and not 180 days?

As I pointed out to you, you can keep your number. Asking for a MNP code doesn't change your status. You have to actually give that code to another provider if you want to port the number. Otherwise it just expires after 30 days.

Extension? Just change the number to 30 or 90. Using a combination of those numbers, you should be able to get close to 365 days. 

Activate International Roaming on the SIM now; so that you have the option of applying the extension codes when you are out of the country.

Activate roaming service by keying in *118# on the phone keypad and then pressing the call button. You'll get a text message in confirmation.

Bruno is correct:

1.) Make sure you have money on your SIM card and check your validity by calling *101*9# - you will receive an SMS or notification with the information

2.) Now please calculate days from today to validity expiration: f.e. Validity until 20 Oct 2022 means 85 days from today.

3.) Now you subtract 85 from 360 which gives you 275 days. That's the maximum you can extend your validity, since maximum validity is 360 (or 365? - not sure) days from today.

4.) You can extend 180 or 90 or 30 days. So figure out what you need. In this example you can use 180 days plus 90 days.

5.) Call *103*180# for 180 days additional validity

6.) Then you can call *103*90# for another 90 days validity extension.

7.) If you now call *101*9# again, it should show you validity just a few days short of 1 year in this example.

For other people that are looking for this info on a different carrier:

This procedure (with different numbers - see earlier in this thread) can also be used for True, but not for AIS. For AIS (as for other carriers) you need to do recharges of at least 10 baht to extend for 30 days per recharge. The recharge procedure should also be used if you cannot enter the numbers from overseas, because roaming hasn't been activated by your carrier.

I believe these procedures do NOT work on a tourist SIM which have been bought f.e. at the airport.

Edited by Barley

9 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

Each time I went to the Dtac shop and they extended my sim card for 12 months for 200 baht.

Then they probably also added credit to your balance. You can extend by topping up too. 

So you have a choice: topping up (which is beneficial when you actually use your credit) or the *113* method, which is beneficial to you when you don't use your card much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, Jdietz said:

Dtac dial *1013  ( 2 THB per 30 days extension, max 365 days outstanding)

Just to update this, extending the lifetime of a DTAC prepiad SIM is now *113*Number_of_Days#  (where Number_of_Days can be 30, 90 or 180)

Alternatively, on the www

https://app.dtac.co.th/en/home?passive=y&utm_campaign=home_accounticon&utm_medium=web_owned&utm_source=webdtac

(Use any network to get to the webpage. Login with your phone number. They will text a OTP to your DTAC phone, enter that password into the web browser, then follow The Menu path:

Beyond > Jai Dee > View All  > Day Giveaway  

Edited by BringMeSunshine
  • Agree 1