Hua Hin shark attack victim: Insurance won't pay as wife slams authorities

webfact

On 4/29/2018 at 8:14 PM, Coaster11 said:

He may have Travel Insurance that is offered free by a lot of Credit Cards these days,

No application is needed and you only have to have some of the cost of the holiday used by said CC to be covered. Usually a bill of over $250 for flights,hotels or hire car etc to get it.

Not sure of the T&C's but 3 months or more may not be classed as a holiday by the CC company.

They don't call it 'holiday insurance, and if it's bought as part of a six-month RT air ticket, then obviously if should cover all of that time. My policy bought just that way--cheapie, too--paid for my kidney-stone surgery last year. World Nomads, affiliated with Lonely Planet, will cover any time period, no limit that I know, think they even offered to extend last time I used them. This guy's problem may be that his insurance indicates travel TO Thailand, when in fact he is living in Thailand...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Hardie said:

They don't call it 'holiday insurance, and if it's bought as part of a six-month RT air ticket, then obviously if should cover all of that time. My policy bought just that way--cheapie, too--paid for my kidney-stone surgery last year. World Nomads, affiliated with Lonely Planet, will cover any time period, no limit that I know, think they even offered to extend last time I used them. This guy's problem may be that his insurance indicates travel TO Thailand, when in fact he is living in Thailand...

He have a valid travel insurance for a year, but even it is a year policy, it have only 45 - 90 days cover on one holiday. Some policies you can extend on travel, others you have to buy extended cover before you start your travel. I have the same valid for 75 days. If my holiday lenght is 90, I have to buy before I travel to extend, or buy world nomad for the rest of the days. Is that so hard to understand? On my 76 day on my travel, I am not longer covered by my one year insurance. If I go home and back I have new 75 days. 

300000 Bahts that's 9000 USD, hardly an amount that could unsettle the budget of an average Norwegian. I guess some people just like the publicity. I don't see either why the Authorities should get involved, everyone knows there are sharks in the sea.

On 4/30/2018 at 12:40 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes its worthwhile buying insurance that covers the max you're likely to stay not just the planned. For example i bought 9 months insurance as although i was booked for 8 months an extra month extention was possible.

You can't extend travel insurance once its started

Depends on the company - I use 1Cover or Columbus. 1Cover allows & recommends adjusting the cover time if you extend the holiday.

Many European Insurance companies require to decalare any overseas visit that goes beyond a certain lapse of time. Many ask for a very petty extra cost, if you declare back home a sojourn of many months abroad.

Also good to check which countries are covered, as european healt/accident insurances are reluctant to give foreign travel coverage in Japan or the US withouth a hefty surcharge in the preimium.

Insurance chaps anywhere in the world are of the same species as real estate developpers, lawyers, garagists or wealth management bankers........you just cannot truly trust these types  (I am going to get bashed here for this comment,:cheesy:)

On 4/30/2018 at 3:37 AM, worgeordie said:

Even if he had insurance ,I suspect the Insurance company would

have found a way to wriggle out of responsibility, Shark attack =

Act of God.

regards worgeordie

Stick to a UK insurance company then as there is no such Act of God clause in UK insurance.

I have not had health insurance since the time i was 21 years old .  In 40 something odd years i figure i have not handed over to the insurance mafia, i mean companies,  at least 4 million baht.  When someone asks me what i'm going to do if i have to go to the hospital i reply..." i guess i will have to give them part of that 4 million i saved".    

1 hour ago, rumak said:

I have not had health insurance since the time i was 21 years old .  In 40 something odd years i figure i have not handed over to the insurance mafia, i mean companies,  at least 4 million baht.  When someone asks me what i'm going to do if i have to go to the hospital i reply..." i guess i will have to give them part of that 4 million i saved".    

If you've got £100,000 more in your account than you otherwise would have, I guess you're winning. If not, it's merely theoretical.

7 minutes ago, BwindiBoy said:

If you've got £100,000 more in your account than you otherwise would have, I guess you're winning. If not, it's merely theoretical.

your math is correct..  but if you add the interest to what i saved i guess its more

On 5/12/2018 at 11:57 PM, observer90210 said:

Insurance chaps anywhere in the world are of the same species as real estate developpers, lawyers, garagists or wealth management bankers........you just cannot truly trust these types  (I am going to get bashed here for this comment,:cheesy:)

No bashing from me !  Manage your own money......and that includes keeping it away from the other species:  female predators   :-)

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, observer90210 said:

Many European Insurance companies require to decalare any overseas visit that goes beyond a certain lapse of time. Many ask for a very petty extra cost, if you declare back home a sojourn of many months abroad.

Also good to check which countries are covered, as european healt/accident insurances are reluctant to give foreign travel coverage in Japan or the US withouth a hefty surcharge in the preimium.

Insurance enables the world to keep turning. Every time you are on an aeroplane, that's probably £2 Billion worth of Liability right there - without insurance, that plane wouldn't even exist, let alone fly.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, BwindiBoy said:

Insurance enables the world to keep turning. Every time you are on an aeroplane, that's probably £2 Billion worth of Liability right there - without insurance, that plane wouldn't even exist, let alone fly.

Right, so you were an insurance salesman in a previous life...

Archived