Interested in Bali - Has anyone lived there? Or comments on visiting there?

JimmyJ

4 hours ago, gintis0604 said:

Booked hotel and flight for 10 days stay. Bought a new flight after 4 days. 

Didn't want to spoil 6 more days of my life there. 

Only good thing was the hotel and the people. 

Never again Bali or Indonesia! 

Same here ! Leaving Thailand $hithole for another $hithole is beyong understanding.

I was thinking that only foreigners who live in the west and know nothing would go there !

5 hours ago, gintis0604 said:

Booked hotel and flight for 10 days stay. Bought a new flight after 4 days. 

Didn't want to spoil 6 more days of my life there. 

Only good thing was the hotel and the people. 

Never again Bali or Indonesia! 

Bali is not the real indonesia. you could have done your homework first. get on the slow boat to lombok and then head to the gili island. Swim with turtles in stunning seas. 

So many stunning islands all over indo. you missed out

• Like 1

I went in December for a week, not impressed and wouldn't go back. Generally more expensive than Thailand and at the time we were there rates varied from around 200 to 410/baht so you had to shop around.

We went as the travel restrictions were coming to an end so it was very quiet, downside to that was the touts were worse than flies.

Kuta beach must be the dirtiest beach I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some pretty grim sights here in Thailand.

Getting around is not that easy but we got a 3 day pass on the Kuta Kuta bus which was well worth while. Unlimited travel for 2 for 3 days with the online discount was around 700 baht. Only problem with that was being on the peninsula we were another 500 baht over the 3 days for taxis to the nearest bus stop.

At the end of the day it is each to there own.

1 hour ago, gaff said:

Same here ! Leaving Thailand $hithole for another $hithole is beyong understanding.

I was thinking that only foreigners who live in the west and know nothing would go there !

You're going to the wrong places.   I agree that the south coast strip is awful, made awful by anti social idiots from most countries.

If you'd like to try again and want an itinerary, PM me and I'll set one out for you.  It really is a fabulous place away from the morons.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I went in December for a week, not impressed and wouldn't go back. Generally more expensive than Thailand and at the time we were there rates varied from around 200 to 410/baht so you had to shop around.

We went as the travel restrictions were coming to an end so it was very quiet, downside to that was the touts were worse than flies.

Kuta beach must be the dirtiest beach I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some pretty grim sights here in Thailand.

Getting around is not that easy but we got a 3 day pass on the Kuta Kuta bus which was well worth while. Unlimited travel for 2 for 3 days with the online discount was around 700 baht. Only problem with that was being on the peninsula we were another 500 baht over the 3 days for taxis to the nearest bus stop.

At the end of the day it is each to there own.

I think you've made a mistake if you're talking exchange rates.

Sounds like you stayed in Nusa Dua, about the worst place to stay, and isolated, so exepnsive to get around.

As I suggested above, there are plenty of nice hotels to stay in and arond Kuta, but you don't want to stay there too long.   Organize a driver online, on the street after you arrive, or my recommendation above, and get the hell out of Kuta for the north, and the sights, natural beauty, beautiful architecture, fascinating culture, great food, and few idiots from other countries.

I've lived there, and visited probably 100+ times over 39 years, and never tire of the place, each time doing some of the same things, and finding new attractions.  On my last visit, I visited the rice terraces of Jatiluwih, just magnificent, and up until last year, I didn't know they existed!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I think you've made a mistake if you're talking exchange rates.

Sounds like you stayed in Nusa Dua, about the worst place to stay, and isolated, so exepnsive to get around.

As I suggested above, there are plenty of nice hotels to stay in and arond Kuta, but you don't want to stay there too long.   Organize a driver online, on the street after you arrive, or my recommendation above, and get the hell out of Kuta for the north, and the sights, natural beauty, beautiful architecture, fascinating culture, great food, and few idiots from other countries.

I've lived there, and visited probably 100+ times over 39 years, and never tire of the place, each time doing some of the same things, and finding new attractions.  On my last visit, I visited the rice terraces of Jatiluwih, just magnificent, and up until last year, I didn't know they existed!!

Why would you think I have made a mistake on exchange rates. Forex rate today is just on 440/THB, when I went it was about 415 and I found an exchanger giving 400 and before I left that same exchanger was up to 410. Many of the exchangers were offering rates in the mid 300's but I did see some down as low as 200. They can offer what they want if they do not want the currency.

I said it wasn't easy to get around, not that it was expensive, I thought car and driver for the day quite reasonable. I was at the Peninsula Beach in Tanjung Benoa, not my choice, it was a time share exchange. Being on the peninsula there was only one way in and out. After the 3 days on the Kuta Kuta bus service we went to the rice terraces and up into the mountains but that was restricted because of volcanic activity. All very nice but I have seen much better here in Thailand.

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

Why would you think I have made a mistake on exchange rates. Forex rate today is just on 440/THB, when I went it was about 415 and I found an exchanger giving 400 and before I left that same exchanger was up to 410. Many of the exchangers were offering rates in the mid 300's but I did see some down as low as 200. They can offer what they want if they do not want the currency.

I said it wasn't easy to get around, not that it was expensive, I thought car and driver for the day quite reasonable. I was at the Peninsula Beach in Tanjung Benoa, not my choice, it was a time share exchange. Being on the peninsula there was only one way in and out. After the 3 days on the Kuta Kuta bus service we went to the rice terraces and up into the mountains but that was restricted because of volcanic activity. All very nice but I have seen much better here in Thailand.

Sorry, thinking of something else.   I guess the THB is seen as quite unstable currently, for whatever reason.

The rates will vary wildly from one moneyh changer to another, and I never use the hole in the wall types.    PT Central Kuta, offices everywhere, and a place opposite the Indian restaurant at Bemo corner, PT Dirgahayu Valuta Prima I think it's called, best rates, no funny money.

7 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Sorry, thinking of something else.   I guess the THB is seen as quite unstable currently, for whatever reason.

The rates will vary wildly from one moneyh changer to another, and I never use the hole in the wall types.    PT Central Kuta, offices everywhere, and a place opposite the Indian restaurant at Bemo corner, PT Dirgahayu Valuta Prima I think it's called, best rates, no funny money.

No prob. Why the THB could be seen as unfavourable compared to the IDR is a bit of a mystery.

I usually have a good look around first and the best one I found was inside the 'K' shop opposite The Royal Santrian , very professional, took all details and copy of passport. Bit out of the way but not sure if inside other 'K' shops.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

No prob. Why the THB could be seen as unfavourable compared to the IDR is a bit of a mystery.

I usually have a good look around first and the best one I found was inside the 'K' shop opposite The Royal Santrian , very professional, took all details and copy of passport. Bit out of the way but not sure if inside other 'K' shops.

Exchanging THB gives terrible rates in Indonesia. Better to change to USD or Euro first or get the IDR in Thailand (at specialized money changers like Super Rich).

On 5/1/2018 at 10:48 AM, scorecard said:

Flea pit... some truth in that and Aussies a big contributor to building that situation...  

Girls, well one part of the Bali tourist industry is a role reversal; Japanese female teens and older woman and females from many countries going to Bali for the surfie gigolo boys. Takes all kinds in every country. 

And many other flea pits: Pattaya, Phuket and more countries, foreign visitors big contributors to building the flea pit scenario.

Yes there are other areas of Indonesia which are worth visiting, Borobudur, Surabaya (but beware of crazy drivers) and lots more ...

If you had said Bandung or Semarang, I would have agreed.

But Surabaya ? LOL...... competing with Medan on the "Indonesia's most ugly and boring City" crown

19 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Exchanging THB gives terrible rates in Indonesia. Better to change to USD or Euro first or get the IDR in Thailand (at specialized money changers like Super Rich).

The Superrich rates regarding IDR are not great too, the spread is almost same as when exchanging Baht in Bali at REPUTABLE changers - this is Bali's version of SUPERRICH. Trusted company, best to use their main branch or the large one at Jl. Kuta Raya

http://www.centralkutabali.com/