Straight men have a lot of gay sex, study shows

Scott

Straight men have a lot of gay sex, study shows

A significant number of straight men have gay sex, a study has shown.

The analysis of 24,000 undergraduate students revealed that of the men whose last hookup was with a male partner, one in eight defined as heterosexual. 

This figure twice as high among women, with one in four whose last sexual experience was a lesbian one identifying as straight.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/04/29/gay-sex-love-straight-men-study-shows/1/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=PA&utm_campaign=PP

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"24,000 undergraduate students" in the UK, I assume, is hardly a representative sample of "straight men", implying result from limited study was true for all men.

I have nothing against gay men: figure it leaves rest of us straight guys with somewhat better odds with the ladies (okay, lesbians do mess that up a bit).

My beef is with spurious conclusion reached by article.

Nothing particularly revelationary about this Pink piece. Numerous surveys have shown that many, if not most, men who identify as heterosexual have a sexual experience with another man at some time in their lives. The same goes for women, only more so.

Such activity is hardly surprising. How else can an individual discover where they stand on the spectrum of human sexual activity, with all that implies in terms of having lasting, committed relationships?

The author of one of the studies cited the Pink article, Ritch C. Savin-Williams, has written extensively in support of his conviction that nobody is one hundred percent heterosexual, including this fascinating Time magazine article:

http://time.com/5026092/mostly-straight-sexual-identity-bisexual-gay/

I have an earth-shattering newsflash for any "straight" men having gay sex... Chiefly, you aren't straight. You likely never were straight, and will likely never be straight without some sort of serious intervention. I would maintain that even "experimental" gay sex isn't possible for a straight male, due to an aversive reflex triggered by the thought of sexual involvement with other males. I know that some will argue, but I would suggest they refer back to the first couple of sentences in this comment. I have been as open to new and interesting experiences as is humanly possible throughout my life, but as far as I can determine, this is a physiological barrier that cannot be overridden by a neurotypically-wired, heterosexual male. 

Most of the adult gay men that I have known have at times in their lives had sex with females including long term affairs, and even marriage. I'm talking about men that identify as gay and not bi.

Lesbians even more so.

So some of these men that currently identify as straight may indeed not be straight in the long run and some of them will.

Does it really matter? 

People should follow their bliss (but play safe please). 

6 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Then they ain’t straight - simple

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I don't think it's that simple.

If I went out and had sex with a woman tonight, I would still be gay. 

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think it's that simple.

If I went out and had sex with a woman tonight, I would still be gay. 

may wish to hit up the op as he seems to be interested in gay sex experience

1 hour ago, Songlaw said:

I have an earth-shattering newsflash for any "straight" men having gay sex... Chiefly, you aren't straight. You likely never were straight, and will likely never be straight without some sort of serious intervention. I would maintain that even "experimental" gay sex isn't possible for a straight male, due to an aversive reflex triggered by the thought of sexual involvement with other males. I know that some will argue, but I would suggest they refer back to the first couple of sentences in this comment. I have been as open to new and interesting experiences as is humanly possible throughout my life, but as far as I can determine, this is a physiological barrier that cannot be overridden by a neurotypically-wired, heterosexual male. 

You are not talking about the typical heterosexual male, you are talking about yourself. In reality, a straight man might not be interested in gay sex but there is no reason whatsoever for a physical reaction by the body. He just wouldn't get aroused. 

The aversive reflex you experience might be due to your upbringing. This would be in line with the physiological barrier you describe. Read "A Clockwork Orange" for explanation how such a reaction can be installed in a person. Anyway, it is not a natural reaction.

Of course, if you dislike the person you are engaging with, such a physical reaction will most likely happen, but that is regardless of that person's sex.

53 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

You are not talking about the typical heterosexual male, you are talking about yourself. In reality, a straight man might not be interested in gay sex but there is no reason whatsoever for a physical reaction by the body. He just wouldn't get aroused. 

The aversive reflex you experience might be due to your upbringing. This would be in line with the physiological barrier you describe. Read "A Clockwork Orange" for explanation how such a reaction can be installed in a person. Anyway, it is not a natural reaction.

Of course, if you dislike the person you are engaging with, such a physical reaction will most likely happen, but that is regardless of that person's sex.

While it is true that I personalized my comment for the sake of brevity, I was not using myself exclusively as the sample. The aversion is hormonal, not emotional. For example, I can kiss a gay man in greeting, as long as the implication is platonic. I worked for years alongside gay males during the initial stages of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the US and kissing on the lips was fairly commonplace. And there is nothing in my upbringing that would psychologically preclude me from having a sexual attraction to same-sex individuals. It is not a cognitive reaction that I am referring to. It is a visceral reaction that would make the encounter impossible. And I don't think Stanley Kubrick could possibly offer much by way of explanation for issues not related to film, though I could be wrong on that point.

Edit: You said to read the book, not watch the movie. My apologies, though I am dubious that Anthony Burgess would be of much additional benefit, in this regard. An interesting source of support for an argument, just the same. Take care.

In Thailand it may be more socially preferable for girls to have girlfriends where there might be some sex. Virginity is still prized among traditional families.

16 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Mmm , Scott cruising a gay news site like pinknews.co.uk . What does that say about Scott ? :smile:

QUXXR ?? And is probably trying to get conformation that he is not ?? How are your knees Scott ??

4 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

They are NOT STRIGHT they ARE GAY. When you suck on that thing or get poked with it in the butt,YOU are GAY.

You might be playing, but there are cultural differences on what is seen as gay or not. Such as in macho culture Mexico topping a guy means you're a macho man and still straight, bottoming, then you're gay. 

This is probably relevant to this article here.

A straight horny college student enjoying being serviced is probably not gay. If he transitions into only wanting that, that's another story. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A straight horny college student enjoying being serviced is probably not gay.

I disagree.  If he can tolerate another guy servicing him, then he is hiding his true sexuality, IMO.

Then again, in your example he's most likely Bi, so I suppose technically speaking you're correct. 

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

I disagree.  If he can tolerate another guy servicing him, then he is hiding his true sexuality, IMO.

Then again, in your example he's most likely Bi, so I suppose technically speaking you're correct. 

Great. We'll agree to disagree then. 

I remember reading a study years ago about gay for pay young men getting serviced. Many retained their straight sexual identity after they graduated to more respectable employment, but a significant number were supposedly "converted" to gay because of the positive reinforcement of the pleasure repeated many, many times.

That's why I commented before I don't think occasional mixing it up tells definitively about sexual identity. However, if it becomes exclusive, then it does. There is also prison homosexuality. Most of those guys magically become straight again after they're released.

25 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

They are NOT STRIGHT they ARE GAY. When you suck on that thing or get poked with it in the butt,YOU are GAY.

I think the article is saying that a % of men experiment much more than before- the boundaries in sexual experiences are breaking  down. 

I always found the typical hairy  builder type rather partial to a roll in the hay - and absolutely those hunky men were not GAY ( your caps not mine.

its just a blurring of sexuality- there are vast numbers of bisexual men out there - they just don’t advertise it . 

13 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Suppose he's laying in the dark , getting/enjoying a BJ , but only realizes that another man gave him a climax .... is he gay ? A mouth is a mouth .

5 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Suppose he's laying in the dark , getting/enjoying a BJ , but only realizes that another man gave him a climax .... is he gay ? A mouth is a mouth .

Agreed.  If he is unknowingly serviced by a fella that's different.

5 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

I would say it takes a man to really know how to give another man real pleasure.

As I say these days with the internet - men are exploring- and enjoy a bit of AC/DC 

Archived