Durian Poster Translation

surfdog

Hi, I'm having some trouble understanding this poster describing 'how to know when Durian is ripe'  I'm just hitting on the bullet points here in order, the underlined portion I'm on the fence or have no idea, the other parts pretty certain I'm understanding clearly but feel free to correct me.

1.   Joint of stem - swollen, and you can see the divide of the joint clearly

2.  Stem - hard, dark color, when "?????" it is rough on the hand

3.  Thorns - the tips of the thorns are dry, dark brown, brittle, and break easily

4.  The concave space between the thorns - spaced apart, when you squeeze them towards each other  you can feel a springyness

5.  The Facets of the Thorn - You can see the facets of the thorn clearly

31603793_2023983031204163_1394481752507940864_n.jpg

สัมผัส can mean ‘to feel’ in this case since the hand is used it means to touch in order to feel what it is like. 

‘Rough to the touch’. 

Do you like them? 

They used to be good หมอนทอง was the best. I remember in Ma boon krong there were loads of stalls selling them, they didn’t rely on judgements like this, they simply cut a little triangle out so that customers could press the meat itself. 

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

สัมผัส can mean ‘to feel’ in this case since the hand is used it means to touch in order to feel what it is like. 

‘Rough to the touch’. 

Do you like them? 

They used to be good หมอนทอง was the best. I remember in Ma boon krong there were loads of stalls selling them, they didn’t rely on judgements like this, they simply cut a little triangle out so that customers could press the meat itself. 

The problem now is that farmers have all sorts of chemical interference, including injecting formaldehyde into the Durian to make the ripen early.  Right now it is very early Durian season, so you should be very careful buying Durian now.  The government has arrested many people in the past few years for selling early season fruit that has been chemically ripened.  If you eat this Durian you may have symptoms of hypertension, headaches, nausea, etc.  The effects increase with the amount you eat.  Don't think because you buy from Tops that it is safer.  Mongthong is a prime variety to chemically ripen early, because the market price is average when in season, and the Durian is very large, if ripened early it still has good size.

9 hours ago, The manic said:

When is the Rayong Durian festival

Rayong has one too?  I heard about the Laplei, Uttaradit festival, and the Chantaburi festival, they are in May/June.

Rayong is driving distance from me, I'll have to look into that.

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

‘Rough to the touch’. 

Do you like them? 

สัมผัส  thanks, this is the word I couldn't read at all, that script has always given me a bit of trouble, luckily I can get from context most of the time, but that word I could absolutely not read the vowel above.  :)    

There are many varieties of Durian, some I really like, some are definitely disappointing after paying 120/kg.  Right now definitely feeling like eating some Durian, had some a few days ago, a Chanee, and a Mongthong.  Now I'm broke will buy some more soon. 

I miss the season now that my retirement routine puts me in UK then. I have no reason to remember the varieties but thanks for the reminder of ชะนี which I notice is ภาษาปาก the real chanee being a noisey primate.
พูทุเรียน is the only example in my 2525 RID for เรียกสิ่งที่มีลักษณะออกมา which makes finding an English word problematic.
Facets of course is fine for the sides of the pyramid shaped projections but what about รอยแยก >separation lines ? It works without บน (on) . I can understand that you might not want to go into it too deeply but as a durian eater what feature they refer to is important. The best way to understand the Thai of course is to observe the changes which occur as the fruit grows, in the company of a fruit grower.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I miss the season now that my retirement routine puts me in UK then. I have no reason to remember the varieties but thanks for the reminder of ชะนี which I notice is ภาษาปาก the real chanee being a noisey primate.
พูทุเรียน is the only example in my 2525 RID for เรียกสิ่งที่มีลักษณะออกมา which makes finding an English word problematic.
Facets of course is fine for the sides of the pyramid shaped projections but what about รอยแยก >separation lines ? It works without บน (on) . I can understand that you might not want to go into it too deeply but as a durian eater what feature they refer to is important. The best way to understand the Thai of course is to observe the changes which occur as the fruit grows, in the company of a fruit grower.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes I took some creative liberty on พู
I believe they are referring to the ‘wrinkles’ on the sides of the protuding thorns.

The concave part between thorns, still lost on what that means.

Might help to have some ripe durian im front of me.

blog is cool, author went to Pattani recently, I’m not that brave. Plenty cheap Durian Baan here in Lan Saka (kiriwong market always has) but that’s about it. Chanee, Baan, and Mongtong only thing comes around the city for sale.

Definitely considering the Rayong festival, still last week of May this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, surfdog said:

blog is cool, author went to Pattani recently, I’m not that brave. Plenty cheap Durian Baan here in Lan Saka (kiriwong market always has) but that’s about it. Chanee, Baan, and Mongtong only thing comes around the city for sale.

Definitely considering the Rayong festival, still last week of May this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am afraid I know nothing of this festival nor do I have deep knowledge of Durians. This is why I entered this thread. I would like to know more but at the end of May this year I will be in Roi et Suwanapooni for a rocket festival. 

13 hours ago, surfdog said:

The problem now is that farmers have all sorts of chemical interference, including injecting formaldehyde into the Durian to make the ripen early.  Right now it is very early Durian season, so you should be very careful buying Durian now.  The government has arrested many people in the past few years for selling early season fruit that has been chemically ripened.  If you eat this Durian you may have symptoms of hypertension, headaches, nausea, etc.  The effects increase with the amount you eat.  Don't think because you buy from Tops that it is safer.  Mongthong is a prime variety to chemically ripen early, because the market price is average when in season, and the Durian is very large, if ripened early it still has good size.

So may I ask what is the best variety and which season/month. 30 years ago i was warned not drink whiskey with Durian. I was recently told the same applies to Mangosteen.  Incidentally I saw a hotel that banned both Durian and Mangosteen but couldn't figure out why...Maybe due to the staining properties of the latter.

I'm not an expert either, that is why I need to know about this poster!  Different regions, different weather, different varieties they all would affect when the season starts.  From what I know flowering is induced by the dry season, and then about 45 days I guess until the first fruit is ripe.  But the overabundance I guess is end of May to June, since the Durian festivals are during this part.

I think hotels mainly are just banning fruit in the 'shell'.  During ripening process it expels gases and is most stinky.  Fruit on the styrofoam packaged containers doesn't stink, and then you just eat it all, so nothing left over to smell, the seeds aren't smelly.

lobes just connotates “ears” for me; and nothing about the thorns reminds of ears.

was out in Lan Saka today, found roadside Mongthong straight from the grower, price still high at 120/kg, but discounted to 100.

I was told some were ripe but “กรอบ” specifically กรอบมันควาย, for me I do like a bit of crispy, so I said ok. Chose the only onr with the tips of thorns drying off, I could see from the car that all the stems were very swollen.

กรอบมันควาย I found out is not what I like, it has only a little creamy.

I think need to understand better these other ways of checking Durian. Seller was hitting with a stick, maybe that is the best way to check!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived