BANGKOK 18 April 2019 20:24
blackcab

Declaring Cash In Excess of USD 15,000 - Primer

Cool! Perhaps you can tell us what happened at the destination and whether there were issues?

• Like 1

Thanks!

Did you get any sleep during the flight or were your eyes always on the cash? The last time I did similar, but for a lesser amount, the loss of sleep and anxiety invalidated the worth of carrying large amounts of cash.

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Thanks!

Did you get any sleep during the flight or were your eyes always on the cash? The last time I did similar, but for a lesser amount, the loss of sleep and anxiety invalidated the worth of carrying large amounts of cash.

It doesn't bother me at all. It's not uncommon for me to carry cash and that amount isn't especially bulky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this interesting report.
I do wonder if everything would be so smooth with 100.000 $ or more?

• Like 1

blackcab - excellent report, thanks so much for this

Often see questions on travel forums about taking cash across borders and it always seems to be met with alarm balls and scaremongering

In my line of work I have also had to carry large cash amounts in and out of various countries - all for legitimate reasons - and the procedure is straight forward and seamless if the rules are followed

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, blackcab said:

There were no questions at all. No questions about the source of the money, no questions about supporting documentation, no questions about the intended use of the money. Nothing.

"There were no questions at all. No questions about the source of the money..."

Really?  What about the section on the form that asked for details of the source of the cash?

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"There were no questions at all. No questions about the source of the money..."

Really?  What about the section on the form that asked for details of the source of the cash?

In the primer I was referring to verbal questions from the staff member who handled the report. To clarify, I was not asked any verbal questions about the written answer I gave.

For people exporting their own cash, there are not many answers that you can write on the form. 1. Cash previously imported to Thailand; 2. Inheritance; 3. Gift; 4. State Lottery Winning - I can't think of any other reasons. I think most people would be in the first category, with the least people being in the fourth category.

You could, of course, also be exporting the currency on behalf of a company you work for and which you have a work permit.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, simoh1490 said:

Thanks!

Aahhh....bless your cotton socks.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

SO what was the purpose of carrying so much caSh?

Not anyone's business to know is it?  Plenty of legitimate reasons to be carrying "so much cash"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Not anyone's business to know is it?  Plenty of legitimate reasons to be carrying "so much cash"

like what? i can't think of one legitimate reason to carry 45,000 USD. unless he is a gambler.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

like what? i can't think of one legitimate reason to carry 45,000 USD. unless he is a gambler.

Well you'll have to just keep guessing then.  I regularly had to carry in cash in sums up to USD$100,000 in cash in a previous job, and the reasons were legitimate, valid, and accepted by arrivals officials without any query.  My paperwork was complete and totally above board

On 5/1/2018 at 6:25 AM, siamcrut said:

Thanks for this interesting report.
I do wonder if everything would be so smooth with 100.000 $ or more?

I'm surprised it was that easy.

About 15 - 20 years ago I was carrying less than 10k cash - don't recall exactly but more than 5k.

I'm a US citizen and was traveling within the US.

I had it in a money belt concealed and the zipper was metal and the wand detected it.

I did go into an area where they closed a curtain and one guy counted it in front of me, asked me why I was carrying it although it's legal (theoretically) to carry any amount of cash on domestic flights without declaring, called their bosses, and then I got the go ahead and was allowed to proceed.

One difference is mine was hidden and yours was declared. And I'll assume you are associated with a company as you mentioned a previous job where you carried cash.

However as mentioned mine did not have to be declared.

I was flying out of a small regional US airport so perhaps that played a part.

From everything I've read it's much much worse now, but you clearly gave them reasons that they bought.

EDIT - BTW very informative post, thank you.

Edited by JimmyJ