Declaring Cash In Excess of USD 15,000 - Primer

I would be afraid to carry declarable amounts into or out of US. In US domestic police issues, if they search your car or house, even if there is no suspicion or charges filed or stated, they sometimes keep the money, your burden to prove it was legit. Plus, one guy took his life savings back from US to his country, maybe Ukraine or in that region, they confiscated it. The USA pretty much considers it a crime to have cash. Even some banks refuse large cash deposits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Would I be correct in assuming that carrying $15000 AUD out of Thailand there would be no requirement for the declaration form?

15,000 AUD to USD = 10,644.98 US Dollars

I realize it would have to be declared on arrival in Australia.

@ blackcab. Thanks for that.

Glad I asked. I forgot about the aggregate total of all currencies.

I do have about 4 million IDR that is going back with me as well.

No problems in this case as still under the $15K USD.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 1:18 PM, JimmyJ said:

I'm surprised it was that easy.

About 15 - 20 years ago I was carrying less than 10k cash - don't recall exactly but more than 5k.

I'm a US citizen and was traveling within the US.

I had it in a money belt concealed and the zipper was metal and the wand detected it.

I did go into an area where they closed a curtain and one guy counted it in front of me, asked me why I was carrying it although it's legal (theoretically) to carry any amount of cash on domestic flights without declaring, called their bosses, and then I got the go ahead and was allowed to proceed.

One difference is mine was hidden and yours was declared. And I'll assume you are associated with a company as you mentioned a previous job where you carried cash.

However as mentioned mine did not have to be declared.

I was flying out of a small regional US airport so perhaps that played a part.

From everything I've read it's much much worse now, but you clearly gave them reasons that they bought.

EDIT - BTW very informative post, thank you.

You are guessing that "it's much much worse now" -- but actually it is not, as long as you follow all the rules of declaration.

• 2 months later...

Be very careful taking declarable amounts of money into or out of the USA, or depositing over $3000 into a us account by cash. Banks do a report, and are forbidden to tell you. Cash found on your person can be confiscated without cause. Look up Restem Kazazi (unable to paste url)

Edited by flbkk
Spelling

People needs to understand the reason for these laws and stop with the paranoia of big brother knowing. You can bring any amount of money into and out of most (I think all but can’t be 100% sure) countries as long as you declare and have proof of source have and a reason for the money. Even if you are under limits, you should have proof for the source of the money and reason why you need it. Stop with the paranoia and “none of your business.” It will only get you in trouble! Also, just because you are under limits (in the airport or bank deposits) doesn’t mean you are except from providing proof. You can be guaranteed that doing it a couple of times and you will be red flagged... even under the limit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being able to provide documentation (i.e. withdrawal receipt from bank, request on company letterhead, etc., even if own company) as to the source and purpose of funds at destination is very useful.  It is not uncommon for a ship's captain to pull out US$25K from the safe to pay for fuel as the port does not accept VISA or MASTERCARD. 

There are US laws outlawing 'sturcturing', which is to design a pattern of withdrawals to not trigger automatic reporting under the Banking Secrecy Act of 1984 and so-called PATRIOT ACT rules. 

The Basel III Accord outlines Anti-Money Laundering rules for the banks, which are often codified into national laws to allow governments to enforce these rules on the banks.  This means that regular folks sometimes get caught in the dragnet, since there is no difference between you carrying US$50K in cash and a bank courier carrying US$50K in cash.

While it may be illegal to have a smartphone recording any conversation in one's pocket during an inspection, one never knows when it might have been convenient.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, flbkk said:

Be very careful taking declarable amounts of money into or out of the USA, or depositing over $3000 into a us account by cash. Banks do a report, and are forbidden to tell you. Cash found on your person can be confiscated without cause. Look up Restem Kazazi (unable to paste url)

Same with Brits at least 75% unaware about carrying cash out of UK (holidays whatever) in that anything above £999 is questionable as to origin "should" customs officers see fit on final gate where the money dogs are.

Most think its £10,000 or 10,000 Euro which is actually the physical declaration level....I must hold the record having just £12 over limit at £1012 and not being able to "satisfy" as to origins and having it confiscated and never returned.  Laws have been on statute book since 2002

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, lagarto said:

can we use the same form to declare importing cash to Thailand? what are the procedures?

... yes, same form for declaring cash brought in, have 2 copies ready as they will keep one ... I used mine for the whole procedure of retirement extension starting from scratch with a tourist visa - worked fine ...

Looks like the biggest obstacle at slower times is to find the right red channel as not all of them  are always fully manned, I was told to use the one more in center of arrival hall which had several officers on the ready for that kind of procedures ... took less than 5 minutes ... 

On 6/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Chivas said:

Same with Brits at least 75% unaware about carrying cash out of UK (holidays whatever) in that anything above £999 is questionable as to origin "should" customs officers see fit on final gate where the money dogs are.

Most think its £10,000 or 10,000 Euro which is actually the physical declaration level....I must hold the record having just £12 over limit at £1012 and not being able to "satisfy" as to origins and having it confiscated and never returned.  Laws have been on statute book since 2002

The declaring level IS 10 000 as a starting point …. 9999 is still not to declare …… don't give customs that chance of 1 gbp or 1euro just to much 

Starting from 10 000 must declare , read the law correct , beware your pockets for small coins they count with so do any money paper or checks

This when leaving E.U or U.K. 

For Thailand entering the declaring level is 15000 USD value in any currency

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, david555 said:

The declaring level IS 10 000 as a starting point …. 9999 is still not to declare …… don't give customs that chance of 1 gbp or 1euro just to much 

Starting from 10 000 must declare , read the law correct , beware your pockets for small coins they count with so do any money paper or checks

This when leaving E.U or U.K. 

For Thailand entering the declaring level is 15000 USD value in any currency

Yes I couldnt edit my original post because what I should have said and it wasnt clear that they confiscated all £1012 and not just the £12 over which was possibly the impression I gave.

This was in 2009 out of interest.  I had 1000's and 1000's going through accounts (probably like most here) but no "exact" £1000 withdrawal in the 2 months leading up to the trip or the 1 month I was on it

The £12 made the amount questionable and the rest is history.

They were such tossers that to be honest they would have demanded a £1012 exact withdrawal if they thought it would have stood up in magistrates court

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Interesting read. I have four passports and around 200 credit cards. I always travel with around 50 CC in my carry on bags with four passports. On numerous occasions, I was interrogated by US customs about my passports and credit cards a few times. 

Please send my regards to Moneypenny and Q.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you for great post!

I have carried large amounts, and still do, and I always have proof of bank receipts where the cash came from.

I also have receipt showing sales of properties or cars etc how I made the money and receipt of deposits to my accounts.

A few times they checked receipts after declaring over $ 10k in the US and Europe. No problem at all.

Better give too much proof than little or non. US  and EU has become paranoid thanks to Russian money laundry business.

• Thumbs Up 1