BANGKOK 21 May 2019 07:24
blackcab

Declaring Cash In Excess of USD 15,000 - Primer

I would be afraid to carry declarable amounts into or out of US. In US domestic police issues, if they search your car or house, even if there is no suspicion or charges filed or stated, they sometimes keep the money, your burden to prove it was legit. Plus, one guy took his life savings back from US to his country, maybe Ukraine or in that region, they confiscated it. The USA pretty much considers it a crime to have cash. Even some banks refuse large cash deposits.

Would I be correct in assuming that carrying $15000 AUD out of Thailand there would be no requirement for the declaration form?

15,000 AUD to USD = 10,644.98 US Dollars

I realize it would have to be declared on arrival in Australia.

6 hours ago, Thai Chi said:

Would I be correct in assuming that carrying $15000 AUD out of Thailand there would be no requirement for the declaration form?

15,000 AUD to USD = 10,644.98 US Dollars

I realize it would have to be declared on arrival in Australia.

There would be no requirement to declare when you exit Thailand.

Just make sure you have no other assorted currencies that take you over the limit, as it is the aggregate total that counts.

• Thanks 1

@ blackcab. Thanks for that.

Glad I asked. I forgot about the aggregate total of all currencies.

I do have about 4 million IDR that is going back with me as well.

No problems in this case as still under the $15K USD.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:18 PM, JimmyJ said:

I'm surprised it was that easy.

About 15 - 20 years ago I was carrying less than 10k cash - don't recall exactly but more than 5k.

I'm a US citizen and was traveling within the US.

I had it in a money belt concealed and the zipper was metal and the wand detected it.

I did go into an area where they closed a curtain and one guy counted it in front of me, asked me why I was carrying it although it's legal (theoretically) to carry any amount of cash on domestic flights without declaring, called their bosses, and then I got the go ahead and was allowed to proceed.

One difference is mine was hidden and yours was declared. And I'll assume you are associated with a company as you mentioned a previous job where you carried cash.

However as mentioned mine did not have to be declared.

I was flying out of a small regional US airport so perhaps that played a part.

From everything I've read it's much much worse now, but you clearly gave them reasons that they bought.

EDIT - BTW very informative post, thank you.

You are guessing that "it's much much worse now" -- but actually it is not, as long as you follow all the rules of declaration.