Hua Hin sharks: Fake news as doctors say second "attack" was just a cut

Hua Hin sharks: Fake news as doctors say second "attack" was just a cut

1.jpg

Fotos (2): NewsthuaThai

News organisations and a general public panic have been blamed for spreading fake news about a second shark attack in Hua Hin.

It was reported last week that a South Korean man was the second victim of bull sharks after a Norwegian man suffered a genuine bite in mid April.

Speaking at a gathering of officials at the scene of the original attack yesterday Wan Chartree of the Region 4 Department of Marine and Coastal Resources said that he had contacted a clinic in the Khao Tao Beach area who told him that the South Korean had not been attacked by a shark.

Doctors treated Su Gia Kim, 60, for a minor one centimeter long cut that had a depth of half a centimeter. He was given some antibiotics and sent back to his area condo where he was staying.

Wan said that news organisations and a TV crew jumped on the story spreading fake news about a shark attack that was spread by the public on social media concerned about sharks.

2.jpg

Yesterday the Prajuab Khirikhan provincial governor Phallop Singhsenee joined with Hua Hin officials and coastal resources staff to inspect the area where the sharks are coming in and look at measures that have been taken.

These include signage and the placing of a line of buoys.

The signage says in English: "Had Sai Noi Beach and the front of Wat Tham Khao Tao is the place of sharks (sic)". It says no swimming or fishing is allowed.

The Thai language in the sign mentions bull sharks by name and specifies commercial fishing saying that the new regulations must be followed....or else.

NewsthuaThai (news all over Thailand) reported that the South Korean had left the area.

On April 15th 54 year old Werner Danielsen from Norway suffered a severe bite to his left leg after swimming at the beach.

He was hospitalized in Hua Hin and is now undergoing further treatment in Khon Kaen.

The first incident was also initially claimed to have resulted from a slip on rocks and not a shark bite but was later accepted as otherwise.

Source: NewsthuaThai

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-02

24 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Who would bother going to a clinic with a 1 Cm cut/scratch,     ----- = 1 cm

dab of Dettol cream,no problem.

regards worgeordie

In a way yes you're right but coral cuts and shell cuts can sometimes get badly infected and take ages to heal Any cut in the sea is worth getting a good clean and check.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im still waiting for the news of the first attack to be fake news :D

At first they said it was!!!  There were all insisting it was sharp rocks or shells that cut the guys foot.

It was not 'consistent' with a shark bite... doctors and medics said. 

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

At first they said it was!!!  There were all insisting it was sharp rocks or shells that cut the guys foot.

It was not 'consistent' with a shark bite... doctors and medics said. 

I know, and now he have holiday in Khon Kaen, trying to make thai government to pay ass his own insurance is out of date :shock1: Smart ass you asking me

Sign reads no swimming and do fishing.so at least there's something to do on the beach.why don't they just stick up a sign with a nasty looking shark with someone's genitals hanging out of its mouth.thatll get through all the language barriers and keep them out of the waters.

10 minutes ago, nahkit said:

With regards to the first attack, what I want to know is how does a wound requiring 19 stitches result in a 300,000 baht medical bill?

It was complicated stitches, and he thought he had insurance. 

The rumors say broken bones, but still waiting for full report of his damages. It would be interesting to view. Anyone have, or just fake news reports? 

48 minutes ago, nahkit said:

With regards to the first attack, what I want to know is how does a wound requiring 19 stitches result in a 300,000 baht medical bill?

I understand it was something to do with original needlework by the doctor.

9e142f30fa29596cdb71b04201dc7d2a.jpg.383f2f047923458dfe37dbbbd22071e1.jpg

Just a rumour mind you...................................:tongue:

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Who would bother going to a clinic with a 1 Cm cut/scratch,     ----- = 1 cm

dab of Dettol cream,no problem.

regards worgeordie

Says the man who comes from the place where "men are men and pansies grow in gardens. " 5555 

Sadly for some this fake news will be bad news as all they want to read is something that casts a shadow on the country they live in. 

Every country that is a tourist destination will do what it can to protect the reputation of its resorts.

Why should thailand be different?

OMG there are sharks in the ocean.

What a surprise eh.

There were 2 shark attacks on the same day in west OZ very recently.

Thats it you tourists you should never visit OZ again. The govt dont care. Yes it would be silly were people to fall for such claptrap.

There are dangers everywhere.

Planes crash, cars crash, people get food poisoning.

You cant rid the world of random events .

3 hours ago, nahkit said:

Couple years ago my wife got her arm badly cut in 5 or 6 places, on shells on a rock, a couple of them quite deep. When we got to the local hospital I saw the conditions and what they wanted to use to stitch her arm up. I told them firmly to wrap her arm in a wet, with Iodine bandage and din't stitch it. Got off on the next boat drove to Bunrumgrad, about 5 hours journey.

She had forty two very fine stitches on her arm under local painkiller and one year later you had to look hard to see the scars and a couple of them were really deep.

Total bill was 50,000 baht paid by the insurance.

Archived