VIDEO: Beg-packers descend on Hua Hin

VIDEO: Beg-packers descend on Hua Hin

31680729_1852773521420720_1145807110324355072_n.jpg

Image: facebook.com/wille.mhadchai

Locals have been shocked to see foreign tourists begging on the streets of Hua Hin.

A video posted by Facebook user Winai Mhadcai on Tuesday showed a couple playing musical instruments in Hua Hin’s famous night market. A child, presumably theirs, was also seen in the clip.

A caption accompanying the post read:

“Are you sure you Allow to do this in Thailand?where they are come from?I thoght [sic] that only poor thai peoples who is begger with a kids on the street...now we have a tourist do this job too.and also with a kids…”

Thaivisa notes that the family were seen begging on Hua Hin beach last month.

So called ‘beg-packers’, Western backpackers who beg for money in order to fund their trip are an increasingly common sight in Thailand, especially in Bangkok, where images of foreigners begging out right or trying to sell small gifts in order to raise cash are often shared on social media.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-02

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More busk-packing than beg-packing. Still,  it is rather a sorry sight.  I saw a westerner botting cigarettes from a homeless man on Sukhumvit Rd. in Bangkok a few days ago. I thought that to be rather poor form. No pun intended!

They’re just a couple of young hippies living their dream, doing no harm to anyone. All the complaining grumpy old farts on this forum that probably listen to 60’s- 70’s rock, what do you think those artists would think of your miserable attitude?

beg, v.
 a. trans. To ask (bread, money, etc.) in alms or as a charitable gift; to procure (one's living) by begging.

busk, v. 2 Naut.
 3. a. slang. See quots. (But perhaps this is a distinct word.) Hence ˈbusking vbl. n. and ppl. a. Now usu., to play music or entertain in the streets, etc

19 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

They’re just a couple of young hippies living their dream, doing no harm to anyone. All the complaining grumpy old farts on this forum that probably listen to 60’s- 70’s rock, what do you think those artists would think of your miserable attitude?

Young hippies in 2018, really, I don't think so, more like freeloaders!

This old fart sees loads of similar types hitchhiking on the roads from Chiang Mai north, begging rides off locals who earn fifty times less than them and who have assets worth hundreds of times less - can't even afford the 87 baht bus fare, truly truly pathetic.

begging out right or trying to sell small gifts in order to raise cash

Or indeed busking like in the video you posted or does that not actually meet the definition of the new word, beg-pack, and so you didn't mention it and hoped no one would notice through the haze of sensationalism?

If you can't afford to self fund your holidays then stay at home and save some more money until you can. I see blind and crippled Thai buskers here playing an instrument or singing just to survive, not like these two indolent freeloaders.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you can't afford to self fund your holidays then stay at home and save some more money until you can. I see blind and crippled Thai buskers here playing an instrument or singing just to survive, not like these two indolent freeloaders.

Do you make the same comparisons in your own country?  I can walk through the town and pass homeless people begging, homeless people busking and I can also pass well educated affluent people busking, no one complains about what those clearly affluent buskers are doing to the trade of the homeless, they just enjoy their music and toss them a coin if they want.

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Do you make the same comparisons in your own country?  I can walk through the town and pass homeless people begging, homeless people busking and I can also pass well educated affluent people busking, no one complains about what those clearly affluent buskers are doing to the trade of the homeless, they just enjoy their music and toss them a coin if they want.

Are these two homeless, or crippled? If they want to just share their music then take away the cap and play for free. The female's eyes were like lasers when someone passed, to see if they had donated. The average Thai can't afford to travel overseas and lay in the sun for a month or two, why would these two expect anyone to donate one satang for their privileged lifestyle?

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are these two homeless, or crippled? If they want to just share their music then take away the cap and play for free. The female's eyes were like lasers when someone passed, to see if they had donated. The average Thai can't afford to travel overseas and lay in the sun for a month or two, why would these two expect anyone to donate one satang for their privileged lifestyle?

No, they are not, and neither are the vast majority of buskers the world over, what are you on about?  And they are playing for free, did you think you would be obliged to put money in?  If not then they are playing for free, this isn't complicated stuff.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

If not then they are playing for free, this isn't complicated stuff.

Then take away the cap. Notice you didn't address my main point, ie why would a Thai donate money to two privileged whites who can afford to swan around the world living a life of leisure, when the  daily wage for a lot of people here is 300 baht a day?   One can only hope that cap is empty at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Young hippies in 2018, really, I don't think so, more like freeloaders!

This old fart sees loads of similar types hitchhiking on the roads from Chiang Mai north, begging rides off locals who earn fifty times less than them and who have assets worth hundreds of times less - can't even afford the 87 baht bus fare, truly truly pathetic.

Only a good ale should bitter with age.

Hitchhiking and busking are part of travelling throughout the world, why is Thailand so special. If they had a sign...cold/hot homeless and hungry that is begging, this is just youngsters enjoying their youth

Population is how many 10s or 100s thousands in Hua Hin....Desending on Hua Hin, its like an invasion of Big Issue sellers are on every Soi corner, its 2 people

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Hitchhiking and busking are part of travelling throughout the world, why is Thailand so special. If they had a sign...cold/hot homeless and hungry that is begging, this is just youngsters enjoying their youth

Indeed, without such adventures of youth we would never have the likes of As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning; a wonderful memoir by Laurie Lee of his travels with a violin through Europe.

Indeed, without such adventures of youth we would never have the likes of As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning; a wonderful memoir by Laurie Lee of his travels with a violin through Europe.

What a lousy writer , Laurie Lee! cider with Rosie Yawn! Arrest him along with any other jellied Lemons

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Then take away the cap. Notice you didn't address my main point, ie why would a Thai donate money to two privileged whites who can afford to swan around the world living a life of leisure, when the  daily wage for a lot of people here is 300 baht a day?   One can only hope that cap is empty at the end of the day.

Its up to them, some do give to foreign buskers, they've been interviewed giving their reasons in past articles, making merit may be a common reason, enjoying someones music could just be another, do you think?

A Thai woman on the video supported their positive narrative saying that if the beg-packers didn’t want a lot of money that was alright, especially if they had something to sell.

“In the end, whatever they get they will spend here, won’t they?”, she said.

He's doing an honest career. It's better than stealing and stealing money in our trip. Who wants to support it because it's done and feel comfortable, do it with each person's satisfaction.

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

beg, v.
 a. trans. To ask (bread, money, etc.) in alms or as a charitable gift; to procure (one's living) by begging.

busk, v. 2 Naut.
 3. a. slang. See quots. (But perhaps this is a distinct word.) Hence ˈbusking vbl. n. and ppl. a. Now usu., to play music or entertain in the streets, etc

Insane - 

บ้า. or ba. Thailand doesn't need foreign beggars, because there are already too many poor people who are too proud to beg. 

29 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its up to them, some do give to foreign buskers, they've been interviewed giving their reasons in past articles, making merit may be a common reason, enjoying someones music could just be another, do you think?

Nobody here needs begging foreigners. Sorry, if you're one of them. 

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

You must have answered to a different thread. 

8 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Insane - 

บ้า. or ba. Thailand doesn't need foreign beggars, because there are already too many poor people who are too proud to beg. 

Did you not understand that busking is not begging even when staring at the definitions?

Archived