VIDEO: Beg-packers descend on Hua Hin

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Nobody here needs begging foreigners. Sorry, if you're one of them. 

TV really should be more sympathetic of their readership; a video of people busking but an article calling busking begging, without independent thought you didn't have a chance.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Thailand does not need special rules imposed on them by some foreigner, keep it to your self, plenty of Thai's are happy to give to foreign buskers, perhaps that's because they are not racist and just see people as people, musicians as musicians, unlike yourself who can't get past the colour of their skin. 

:post-4641-1156694606: Only the yellow card for now. 

They are not doing anybody  harm, their music might be good

I don't know, they are not scamming anyone,your not been 

forced to give them anything.live and let live i say.

In the title its says "descend "on Hua Hin, there's only 3 of them,

they make it sound like the Huns or Kubla Khan are coming.

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

They’re just a couple of young hippies living their dream, doing no harm to anyone. All the complaining grumpy old farts on this forum that probably listen to 60’s- 70’s rock, what do you think those artists would think of your miserable attitude?

The point is they're begging in a country which has extreme poverty on a scale they will never experience.

25 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Thailand does not need special rules imposed on them by some foreigner, keep it to your self, plenty of Thai's are happy to give to foreign buskers, perhaps that's because they are not racist and just see people as people, musicians as musicians, unlike yourself who can't get past the colour of their skin. 

Most places would require they get a permit for busking.Thais not racist? Surely you jest. Do you even live in Thailand?

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Do you make the same comparisons in your own country?  I can walk through the town and pass homeless people begging, homeless people busking and I can also pass well educated affluent people busking, no one complains about what those clearly affluent buskers are doing to the trade of the homeless, they just enjoy their music and toss them a coin if they want.

I think you've lived a very sheltered life if this is your view. Perhaps you don't see the severely disfigured one legged men dragging themselves along with their hands, or the 70 year old women who can hardly stand begging for a few coins for scraps etc.  Those people have nothing to fall back on when poverty hits.

It really doesn't compare to busking in the leafy English suburbs.

8 hours ago, yuiop said:

If you can't afford it then stay home, especially if having a kid.

Asking for money in a country that's much more poor than yours...no sympathy sorry.

Even if the unemployment rate is so low on paper, too many people here live under the existence minimum, how we'd call it.

I know many parents who work their arsses off to pay the school fees for their kids, they don't go out and beg for money.

Why should some low life foreigners be allowed to do that? 

I don;t want to pay taxes for some extraordinary <deleted> come to this country to become beggars.

They should stay where they are and not come here if they can;t afford it. 

Is that really so hard to understand for the begging member here? 

28 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

I'm afraid they wouldn't see any of my money, not even a hint of a smile on either of their faces !!

Perhaps they are singing a Leonard Cohen number - approptriate for some of the misery guts Hua Hin target market.

First the sharks and now this. Have the "beg-packers" been asked to show 20 K Bht in cash at the airport? Do the sharks have valid visas to frolic around in Thai coastal waters, allowing them to nibble at extremities of tourists?
Clearly, the Governement has to step in to avoid further mayhem in both cases.

Other than that and on a more serious note:
What must Thais think of people that can afford to fly to Thailand (the equivalent of 100 days of work for a "minimum-wage" Thai) and then have to play a Bongo-Drum or engage in other illegal activities to secure their next meal? (Working without a work permit in Thailand IS an illegal activity.)
Result: Certain people have to show 20K at the airport. Fine. But much worse, it's a certain Western/Nigerian Crowd that believes that Thailand is some kind of modern day Wild West.
Result: Visa regulations are getting more stringent and cumbersome for EVERYBODY.

This "Hippie-Thing" was fine in 68, but completely Retro and out of place these days. Even the last Bastion of Hippie livestyle on La Gomera (Canary Islands) is being "evacuated" by Spanish Authorities. Why? According to officials: "They pester Tourists, leave their trash and feces even in National Parks."
Do we need those carriers of Western Culture in Thailand?
Cheers.  

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:
10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

They’re just a couple of young hippies living their dream, doing no harm to anyone. All the complaining grumpy old farts on this forum that probably listen to 60’s- 70’s rock, what do you think those artists would think of your miserable attitude?

Young hippies in 2018, really, I don't think so, more like freeloaders!

This old fart sees loads of similar types hitchhiking on the roads from Chiang Mai north, begging rides off locals who earn fifty times less than them and who have assets worth hundreds of times less - can't even afford the 87 baht bus fare, truly truly pathetic

Really ..... I saw a spanish couple 8 months ago and none for flipping ten years although yes I only live in the region..........  "Loads"  my flipping hiney  ......

Our  TrollTeam Squad has really been working hard in the hot season. You wonder what has got there wind up?

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Really ..... I saw a spanish couple 8 months ago and none for flipping ten years although yes I only live in the region..........  "Loads"  my flipping hiney  ......

Our  TrollTeam Squad has really been working hard in the hot season. You wonder what has got there wind up?

Read Swissie's post, just before yours and try and digest what he wrote!

Second: I live just off the 107, that's the main road that runs out of the centre of Chiang Mai and heads North to a whole host of places that younger tourists want to visit, The Mesa Valley, Mae Tang, Chiang Rai, Chiang Dao, Fang, Pi, and many more - I drive that 22kms stretch of road five times each week - a totally different area to Lomsak in Petchabun!!! What I see every week is a torrent of white westerners aged between 20 and 35, wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops, all riding Honda Clicks and similar, about half wearing crash helmets, many carrying backpacks, once every couple of day I see one of them almost get squished by a local (or me) as they drive along safe in the knowledge that they've read and understood the UK highway code completely! 

What I also see about every other day is the same type of person hitchhiking, stood there, he without a shirt on and the thumb stuck out, often as a couple where "she" is smiling sweetly! If you've ever been to Thailand, ask yourself how many Thai people you've ever seen hitch hiking here, in 16 years I think I've seen maybe two! 

You wanna troll somebody, find somebody else, I'm not interested!

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Most places would require they get a permit for busking.Thais not racist? Surely you jest. Do you even live in Thailand?

Those who give money to foreign buskers probably aren't.  Do you think all Thai's are racist?  Did you not realise that actually that makes you the racist?

These two losers, do not need to give tourists a bad name. I have spent many

years visiting Hua Hin, and I do not see the locals busking, and I appreciate it.

I hope the police grow tired of these two and send them packing.  For their

supporters, I have no words, but I think there are many more of us who do not

have any supporting thoughts and words of sympathy for the plight of these

sad examples.

Geezer

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you've lived a very sheltered life if this is your view. Perhaps you don't see the severely disfigured one legged men dragging themselves along with their hands, or the 70 year old women who can hardly stand begging for a few coins for scraps etc.  Those people have nothing to fall back on when poverty hits.

It really doesn't compare to busking in the leafy English suburbs.

I have seen a damn sight more than you can see in sheltered little Thailand.  My point was, what on earth have beggars got to do with buskers? 

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The point is they're begging in a country which has extreme poverty on a scale they will never experience.

They’re not begging and as for “extreme poverty” you must be kidding 

57 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Read Swissie's post, just before yours and try and digest what he wrote!

Second: I live just off the 107, that's the main road that runs out of the centre of Chiang Mai and heads North to a whole host of places that younger tourists want to visit, The Mesa Valley, Mae Tang, Chiang Rai, Chiang Dao, Fang, Pi, and many more - I drive that 22kms stretch of road five times each week - a totally different area to Lomsak in Petchabun!!! What I see every week is a torrent of white westerners aged between 20 and 35, wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops, all riding Honda Clicks and similar, about half wearing crash helmets, many carrying backpacks, once every couple of day I see one of them almost get squished by a local (or me) as they drive along safe in the knowledge that they've read and understood the UK highway code completely! 

What I also see about every other day is the same type of person hitchhiking, stood there, he without a shirt on and the thumb stuck out, often as a couple where "she" is smiling sweetly! If you've ever been to Thailand, ask yourself how many Thai people you've ever seen hitch hiking here, in 16 years I think I've seen maybe two! 

You wanna troll somebody, find somebody else, I'm not interested!

Those kids would probably be a lot more fun to spend a couple of hours with than the Victor Meldrew appreciation society that seems to be running this forum aground on the coral reef of menopausal misery.

8 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Those kids would probably be a lot more fun to spend a couple of hours with than the Victor Meldrew appreciation society that seems to be running this forum aground on the coral reef of menopausal misery.

I'm not rising to your bait, the point is a serious one. This isn't about fun, age, personalities or wealth. This is about what is appropriate, what is safe, what is reasonable behaviour and what is culturally acceptable. You probably think it's OK to stand at the side of the road hitch hiking or to go into a shop without a shirt on, in Thailand it is not, it's even against the law to drive a car whilst not wearing a shirt so that should give you a clue as to the culture here. 

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you can't afford to self fund your holidays then stay at home and save some more money until you can. I see blind and crippled Thai buskers here playing an instrument or singing just to survive, not like these two indolent freeloaders.

They are self funding... Playing music to entertain people, who then voluntarily donate money..

What's your problem ?? In fact why is anyone on here complaining about this ?? Does it affect anyone else ??

Stop whinging and live your own lives :passifier:

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm not rising to your bait, the point is a serious one. This isn't about fun, age, personalities or wealth. This is about what is appropriate, what is safe, what is reasonable behaviour and what is culturally acceptable. You probably think it's OK to stand at the side of the road hitch hiking or to go into a shop without a shirt on, in Thailand it is not, it's even against the law to drive a car whilst not wearing a shirt so that should give you a clue as to the culture here. 

So your only gripe is the local hippies’ lack of shirts? I recall you banging on about not being able to afford 87 baht bus fare or something.... anyway, try to be more tolerant and less bitter towards youngsters, youth is about experimenting and making mistakes and thankfully most of the Thai population are a lot more forgiving than some of the old misery- guts here...... xoxo

8 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

So your only gripe is the local hippies’ lack of shirts? I recall you banging on about not being able to afford 87 baht bus fare or something.... anyway, try to be more tolerant and less bitter towards youngsters, youth is about experimenting and making mistakes and thankfully most of the Thai population are a lot more forgiving than some of the old misery- guts here...... xoxo

Again I'm not rising to your bait. You seem to want to make this an age related issue, it's not that, it's a behavioural issue. What you understand about the culture of the people here is way too low, if you're planning on staying (assuming you actually live here) you need to up your game in that area. I don't doubt you would be amongst the very first to complain about foreigners acting in an unacceptable manner in your home country, you need to translate that into the reverse situation.

15 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

And stop calling buskers “beg packers”, it’s derogatory and unnecessary 

Would 'scroungers' suit you better?

Or simply 'beggars', their behaviour fits that description better than the 'tourist' moniker that allowed them into the country in the first place would.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

They are self funding... Playing music to entertain people, who then voluntarily donate money..

What's your problem ?? In fact why is anyone on here complaining about this ?? Does it affect anyone else ??

Stop whinging and live your own lives :passifier:

Quite a crowd gathered around to "appreciate" their music. Let's face it, this kind of busking is just another form of begging, but instead of sitting with a tin cup and a sign that says "Down and out in Thailand, please help", they bang away at a couple of drums. If we stopped whinging and lived our own lives there would be little need for this forum to exist.

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Quite a crowd gathered around to "appreciate" their music. Let's face it, this kind of busking is just another form of begging, but instead of sitting with a tin cup and a sign that says "Down and out in Thailand, please help", they bang away at a couple of drums. If we stopped whinging and lived our own lives there would be little need for this forum to exist.

At least they make an effort, not just sit with their hand out... 

This forum exists for lots of reasons, not just to accommodate whingers, although they do make up the majority of posts it seems !

Archived