It's the mother of all whip-rounds! Private sector asked to donate to Norwegian shark attack victim

It's the mother of all whip-rounds! Private sector asked to donate to Norwegian shark attack victim

h.jpg

Image: New TV

Help is on the way for the 54 year old Norwegian tourist bitten by a bull shark in Hua Hin.

The deputy governor of Prajuab Khirikhan province is organizing a massive whip-round after Werner Danielsen's Thai wife Amornrat said the insurance won't pay up. 

And effectively shamed the Thais into action after their inaction. 

Mr Danielsen has bills at Bangkok Hua Hin hospital totaling 300,000 baht.

Hua Hin municipality are showing willing by coughing up 10,000 baht. Now deputy governor Theeraphan Nanthakit is asking the private sector and state agencies to see how much they can come up with to ease Mr Danielsen's distress, reported Daily News.

Theeraphan called a crisis meeting at Prajuab HQ yesterday that included calls for the intriguing possibility that one day Thailand might have an official fund that tourists could have access to for similar occurrences and accidents that occur while on holiday - not necessarily shark attacks.

For now he asked all those concerned to help out the shark bite man.

He told the meeting that Mr Danielsen was insured in Norway and initially the company agreed to shell out 250,000 - an offer that was later rescinded after it was discovered that the policy had run out.

Many policies have a  time limit and the Norwegian had been away several months. 

He was bitten on the left leg by a bull shark off Khao Tao beach prompting a flurry of official action.

But when the initial concern had died down and wife Amornrat needed help it all went quiet from the authorities.

Now, seemingly shamed by the bad press, Theeraphan is asking everyone to throw their baht into a hat to help the tourist who is still undergoing physiotherapy at a hospital in Khon Kaen in Thailand's north-east.

His visa has been extended two months to allow for this treatment, it was earlier reported.

Sources: http://www.newtv.co.th/news/15083 & https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/641292

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-2

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr Danielsen was insured in Norway and initially the company agreed to shell out 250,000 - an offer that was later rescinded after it was discovered that the policy had run out.

Looks like he didn´t have any insurance then, so it´s time to stop talk about it like it existed but experied. That is same like no have.

Not saying that he shouldn´t have compensation and help paying the hospital bills though. If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Hua Hin municipality are showing willing by coughing up 10,000 baht.

Whilst it seems bad-manners to look a gift horse in the mouth, surely they can do better than this amount. It's hardly enough for a good night out and pocket change for a municipality and the average guy on a night out..

19 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Doesn't anyone take responsibility for themselves anymore? If you cannot afford 300k baht for a medical emergency. You better stay at home..... sorry.

Or pay the extra for an accident insurance policy that covers your stay. As far as I can remember, travel insurance is normally limited to around 90 days per travel. So even if you have a policy that is valid for a year, the small print will state the terms at 90 day duration of visits.

As said earlier, as bad and rare that this is, it is still an accident. How can you hold, or rather shame, anyone to foot the bill of somebody who isn't covered by their own insurance? Even if the policy was valid when the bite happened and expired during his hospital stay.

9 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Looks like he didn´t have any insurance then, so it´s time to stop talk about it like it existed but experied. That is same like no have.

Not saying that he shouldn´t have compensation and help paying the hospital bills though. If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public.

Same as driving on the roads?

A lot more chance of an accident happening there, and at the end of the day, that is what happened here, an extremely rare accident with nature. Should the same responsibility for compensation exist for traffic accidents as well?

does he actually need to be sitting in a hospital clocking up the bill, looks like he could be at home to me, there is no special care for someone in a plaster cast - am I missing something

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

does he actually need to be sitting in a hospital clocking up the bill, looks like he could be at home to me, there is no special care for someone in a plaster cast - am I missing something

They probably won't let him out until the bill is paid. Of course with a continuing stay the bill grows on a daily basis!

14 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Same as driving on the roads?

A lot more chance of an accident happening there, and at the end of the day, that is what happened here, an extremely rare accident with nature. Should the same responsibility for compensation exist for traffic accidents as well?

No, not same at all. Most of the road in Thailand have signs and are ok for driving. All the big roads have the safty eqiupment that is needed. Another aspect is that most of the road accidents are between two person or more that can´t drive.

In the norwegians case, both him and the shark could swim. It was only the safetynet that was missing.

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

No, you are totally right. Not missing anything.

13 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Or pay the extra for an accident insurance policy that covers your stay. As far as I can remember, travel insurance is normally limited to around 90 days per travel. So even if you have a policy that is valid for a year, the small print will state the terms at 90 day duration of visits.

As said earlier, as bad and rare that this is, it is still an accident. How can you hold, or rather shame, anyone to foot the bill of somebody who isn't covered by their own insurance? Even if the policy was valid when the bite happened and expired during his hospital stay.

Exactly. Travel insurance is easy to buy. One can normally have it as an add-on when one is purchasing a flight ticket. If leaving from country of origin, just call your friendly insurance agent and normally this gets done the next working day, if not in just a matter of hours.

Harsh as it may sound, a shark bite is still an accident. If everyone having an accident expects to be compensated, everyone having even a small cut or a bruise would expect compensation. Then the locals will jump in and ask why are tourists getting preferential treatment, what about us Thais. See where this is going?

I don't see why Thais and/or the private sector should feel ashamed. By all means, give if you feel like so, but those who don't shouldn't be compelled to do so and certainly shouldn't be shamed for not donating anything. It's not the responsibility of these people and organisations; the responsibility lies with the traveller to cover him/herself with insurance. People who travel without insurance are just asking for trouble.

18 minutes ago, madmitch said:

They probably won't let him out until the bill is paid. Of course with a continuing stay the bill grows on a daily basis!

They cannot stop him leaving the hospital - it is not a prison

Unless there are other complications, If it had been me I would have left once it was stitched up and set in plaster. The only other thing I can think of is he is being treated with intravenous antibiotics but even that should be limited to a few days  - how long has he been there now - over two weeks  

Also people can fly with a plaster cast - no problem, he could have been in hospital a few days and flew home to continue his treatment in his home country 

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

They cannot stop him leaving the hospital - it is not a prison

Unless there are other complications, If it had been me I would have left once it was stitched up and set in plaster. The only other thing I can think of is he is being treated with intravenous antibiotics but even that should be limited to a few days  - how long has he been there now - over two weeks  

I recall reading of this happening. Have a search online and I'm sure you'll find examples.

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr Danielsen has bills at Bangkok Hua Hin hospital totaling 300,000 baht.

Much too expensive !

Bangkok Hospital , RAM Hospital etc are more expensive than a hospital in Europe ... but their equipment and the doctors are outdated .

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Nonsense. If you choose to swim in the ocean then you accept the associated risks. I don’t see the authorities have any responsibility. A case of bad luck. Good luck to him with his squeeze on the public but he will get nought from me.  

" If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public."

No that is not even close to a reasonable comment. They provide roads - do they cover all road accidents? they provide airports do they cover all flights in and out?? 

the guy is not a citizen - needs  insurance - it could not get more simple 

The whole story stinks if you ask me! 

There is other needy people in this country, and this is not one! Im ashamed on his behalf. Still do not believe for a second he is bitten by a shark. My best guess, is, he knew his insurance was out, hurt himselves on the rocks, and the rest is history. I continue to repeat only 19 stitces 3 shark bites as he testifyed.. Not possible by a 10 kg shark even, the damages would have been alot more. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Whilst it seems bad-manners to look a gift horse in the mouth, surely they can do better than this amount. It's hardly enough for a good night out and pocket change for a municipality and the average guy on a night out..

I really do not know what "a night out" have to do with this. Nice to hear that you are looking at 10K one night out as pocket money. Keep spreading the bucks! :cheesy:

30 minutes ago, graeme64 said:

" If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public."

No that is not even close to a reasonable comment. They provide roads - do they cover all road accidents? they provide airports do they cover all flights in and out?? 

the guy is not a citizen - needs  insurance - it could not get more simple 

You missed something very important. It´s that simple, in your world.

39 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Nonsense. If you choose to swim in the ocean then you accept the associated risks. I don’t see the authorities have any responsibility. A case of bad luck. Good luck to him with his squeeze on the public but he will get nought from me.  

It´s ok! Don´t worry. It´s better to throw the money in the next bar visit, right?

it was a Thai Shark that bit him so Thai should take responsibility for there sharks and provide safe areas for swim.image.jpeg.f801f92d98fff23ffa571a1a7b1afda7.jpeg

Thailand makes big big cash on tourists and expats, so why not put aside a certain percentage

of the billions and billions of profit for such cases ?  Would be a kind move.

Or demand (and sell) a valid insurance bevor immigration desk ?

1 hour ago, outsider said:

Exactly. Travel insurance is easy to buy. One can normally have it as an add-on when one is purchasing a flight ticket. If leaving from country of origin, just call your friendly insurance agent and normally this gets done the next working day, if not in just a matter of hours.

Harsh as it may sound, a shark bite is still an accident. If everyone having an accident expects to be compensated, everyone having even a small cut or a bruise would expect compensation. Then the locals will jump in and ask why are tourists getting preferential treatment, what about us Thais. See where this is going?

I don't see why Thais and/or the private sector should feel ashamed. By all means, give if you feel like so, but those who don't shouldn't be compelled to do so and certainly shouldn't be shamed for not donating anything. It's not the responsibility of these people and organisations; the responsibility lies with the traveller to cover him/herself with insurance. People who travel without insurance are just asking for trouble.

Yes, travel insurance is easy to buy but it is hard to collect on. It usually has a 30 day limit and often

many other exclusions. Sports activities, pre-existing conditions etc...ect... Travel insurance companies

are more than happy to collect the fee and when a claim comes in the full audit starts. Any mistakes or

errors and the claim is denied. As most travelers never make a claim they are blissfully unaware that they

may have never been actually covered to a meaningful extent. 

Archived