It's the mother of all whip-rounds! Private sector asked to donate to Norwegian shark attack victim

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst it seems bad-manners to look a gift horse in the mouth, surely they can do better than this amount. It's hardly enough for a good night out and pocket change for a municipality and the average guy on a night out..
You have BIG nights out jacko!!

Insurance company refused to pay out on an expired policy?? How unusual. Not unusual that the wife is trying to make the company look bad though.

When will people take responsibility for themselves?? We see this bleating repeatedly, so it seems they never will.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looking at this story with interest, if he cannot pay the hospital bill, what is he doing in a private room?

Being a patient on a ward is considerably cheaper.

His insurance expired, that is his stupid fault nobody elses.

Another point members on here attacking insurance companies, saying easy to take out insurance, but then companies will then not pay out.

Well i totally disagree with this.

A few years ago i had a bad turn in Pattaya, i was taken to Pattaya memorial hospital.

First thing they asked have you got insurance?

Yes i have, ok no problem.

I was insured with Sun Alliance in the UK, they were contacted by the hospital, 1 hour later an admin worker came to me and said, we have an e-mail from your insurance everything ok.

After discharge from hospital, i had to stay a few days longer here, everything, hospital, hotel, flight was paid for in full by Sun alliance, first class service.

Where is this guy's GoFundMe page? 

Isn't that how a lot of people fund their travels and "after-the-accident/injury" medical costs now days.   Sure cheaper than good insurance (or any insurance). 

2 minutes ago, malcoml said:

I was under the impression the Norwegian government picked up the hospital tab for their citizens.

I guess my Norwegian friend was speaking crap.

No government is picking up their lost ones in Thailand or their bills. Not should Thai government do either. But, if a foreigner have accident in Norway, they will get treatment no matter what insurance or not. 

Expensive rescue operations as well if you get stuck in mountain and need heli rescue. 

No one will be hold back by passport or anything else. We hope people pay their bills, and do their best if shit happens. 

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

They probably won't let him out until the bill is paid. Of course with a continuing stay the bill grows on a daily basis!

What sounds a bit like a Catch 22 situation. " I will have the money tomorrow "

Sorry tomorrow you will need more.

What in the world did he have done for THB 300,000.  Obviously a very expensive hospital.  I had triple bypass surgery 2 years ago for less than 300,000.  Of course, that was performed in a Thai government hospital.  From the pictures, he looks like he's not the least bit worried about paying his bill.  

If it is correct that the Insurance co. initially offered 250k bt (assuming this is not a reporting error), then they should be held accountable for that figure.

Had they checked their records first and found his insurance expired (or for whatever reason invalid), then I'm sure he would have requested that he by moved without delay to a gov't hospital to minimize the bill.

If the hospital are holding him until payment is made in full, then they should be responsible for ALL costs from that point on....

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Theeraphan called a crisis meeting at Prajuab HQ yesterday that included calls for the intriguing possibility that one day Thailand might have an official fund that tourists could have access to for similar occurrences and accidents that occur while on holiday - not necessarily shark attacks.

Intriguing indeed ... I smell a shark ...

If that fund ever exists, the one category of humans who will never have access to it are the tourists, never mind how badly injured they are by whatever or whoever.

getreal, hello,

If that person had had an accident on the beach, the road, the sidewalks, because of a lack of interviews, the responsibility would go to the municipality or the store, or whatever.
If the person had cut himself with an iron bar or a sharp object, in the sea, it is the responsibility of the services of the municipality or the coast.
If the person was bitten by a stray dog, it is the responsibility of the owner or the municipality if the dog is without a family.
Here, this is not the case.
It is a shark bite that has taken its habitat.
It is the shark who should complain about being squatted by intruders.
Do not mix everything.

46 minutes ago, steve73 said:

If it is correct that the Insurance co. initially offered 250k bt (assuming this is not a reporting error), then they should be held accountable for that figure.

Had they checked their records first and found his insurance expired (or for whatever reason invalid), then I'm sure he would have requested that he by moved without delay to a gov't hospital to minimize the bill.

If the hospital are holding him until payment is made in full, then they should be responsible for ALL costs from that point on....

This is what I do not get. It is the only thing that gives me any sympathy for his financial situation. Even though he should have the policy details and quickly found out if it had run out. I have bought many travel insurance policies lasting over 3 months and up-to a full year. When I buy them I always knew the expiry dates as I had to enter the dates of my flights. You would have to be very ignorant to expect a policy that covers more than 3 months to be as cheap as a 1 year multi trip holiday insurance that only covers up-to 30 or 45 days per trip.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

I really do not know what "a night out" have to do with this. Nice to hear that you are looking at 10K one night out as pocket money. Keep spreading the bucks! :cheesy:

Figure it out between grouchy posts. The point was the amount was rather small for a municipality.

It's what I take with me for a night out, and I keep it in my pocket.

Try it, you may feel less grumpy, as Adrian Cronauer said.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

They cannot stop him leaving the hospital - it is not a prison

Unless there are other complications, If it had been me I would have left once it was stitched up and set in plaster. The only other thing I can think of is he is being treated with intravenous antibiotics but even that should be limited to a few days  - how long has he been there now - over two weeks  

Also people can fly with a plaster cast - no problem, he could have been in hospital a few days and flew home to continue his treatment in his home country 

Why did he not go to the government hospital after he found out that he didn't have insurance coverage? Blame the sharks, not long and a GoFundMe page will help the "poor guy."

3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

You have BIG nights out jacko!!

Insurance company refused to pay out on an expired policy?? How unusual. Not unusual that the wife is trying to make the company look bad though.

When will people take responsibility for themselves?? We see this bleating repeatedly, so it seems they never will.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's getting pricey here. But it doesn't mean I actually spend all of it!

I may have to pay for something myself!

I agree wholeheartedly with your points.

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Figure it out between grouchy posts. The point was the amount was rather small for a municipality.

It's what I take with me for a night out, and I keep it in my pocket.

Try it, you may feel less grumpy, as Adrian Cronauer said.

Wow! You must think you are very well situated with that much money in your pocket. Must be a big hitter in the bar, right?

It actually is the norwegians responsibility to pay if he not have any valid insurance. but everything he can be helped with by authorities should be considered welcome, due to that they should take some responsibility for having no knowledge or don´t care about that many sharks in the beach. They should be held responsible for not putting up a net long time ago.

Now, go on and have fun with the 10K in your favorite bar.

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Doesn't anyone take responsibility for themselves anymore? If you cannot afford 300k baht for a medical emergency. You better stay at home..... sorry.

also,  large numbers of tourists that pay huge insurance premiums, believing that they have insurance cover,  only to find out later,that the insurance co.refuses to pay up..

this is why i dont waste money on insurance, but keep sufficient funds available....

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Looks like he didn´t have any insurance then, so it´s time to stop talk about it like it existed but experied. That is same like no have.

Not saying that he shouldn´t have compensation and help paying the hospital bills though. If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public.

Agree with your insurance comment, but not in the one with "public beach". Almost all beaches are public, not only in Thailand. However, Thailand benefits so much from foreign tourism that about doubled in a decade only, so TAT should immediately fully compensate in a case like this, which is not self-inflicted due to wrong behavior by for example disregarding warnings, or red flags. How much is 300,000 baht of a tourism revenue on more than $53 billion in 2017 – that's around 1,700 billion baht (1,700,000,000,000) – bad reputation runs so much faster than the good ones; especially when shared in today's social media...:whistling:

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Wow! You must think you are very well situated with that much money in your pocket. Must be a big hitter in the bar, right?

It actually is the norwegians responsibility to pay if he not have any valid insurance. but everything he can be helped with by authorities should be considered welcome, due to that they should take some responsibility for having no knowledge or don´t care about that many sharks in the beach. They should be held responsible for not putting up a net long time ago.

Now, go on and have fun with the 10K in your favorite bar.

You are kidding right.... have you had a night out this millenium?

I agree completely... he should pay for his own accident and the silliness of letting his insurance lapse. Shark attacks here are extremely rare, I hardly feel they are to blame for not putting up nets, it isn't the Great Barrier reef, it's Hua Hin.

I spread the love (money) between a few bars!

I'm getting very tired of Go Fund Me scroungers.

My wife spent six weeks in hospital last year, nearly dying of pneumonia.

After the insurance cover maxxed out, my co-pay was 1.3 million THB, which I can ill afford!

Maybe I was lucky to have that money in the first place, but I had it and so I paid.

We're now strictly budgeting, and I would have loved a hand-out!

Still, it's worth it to have my wife alive and well.

It should be mandatory to have travel insurance in Thailand, or anywhere else.

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Slightly belated reaction, but good to see nevertheless.Well done to Hua Hin authorities for showing some compassion, in what has been a highly unusual case.

Let's hope, then, that every single uninsured tourist is treated the same way or are you saying that some accidents are more worthy than others?    What is "highly unusual" about having an injury treated at a hospital?

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

People call in and ask: I had this accident, am I covered for the expenses, estimated 250k.

Insurance company checks, hospital ok, accident covered, insurance valid and says 'yes', ok. Now later on it becomes clear he has violated the policy conditions: there was cover for 90 days, he has stayed more than that. IMO that is his own responsibility, not that of the insurance company.

Archived