It's the mother of all whip-rounds! Private sector asked to donate to Norwegian shark attack victim

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@smedly

Pretty sure they can stop him. This was covered in a thread a couple of months ago. If I can find it I'll post the link.

:smile:

They cannot, why do you think they could ? under what grounds, unless it was a mental health issue he can sign himself out when he wants, like I said it is not a prison

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Agree with your insurance comment, but not in the one with "public beach". Almost all beaches are public, not only in Thailand. However, Thailand benefits so much from foreign tourism that about doubled in a decade only, so TAT should immediately fully compensate in a case like this, which is not self-inflicted due to wrong behavior by for example disregarding warnings, or red flags. How much is 300,000 baht of a tourism revenue on more than $53 billion in 2017 – that's around 1,700 billion baht (1,700,000,000,000) – bad reputation runs so much faster than the good ones; especially when shared in today's social media...:whistling:

And where in my comment did you see something your quote disagreed with me????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Agree with your insurance comment, but not in the one with "public beach". Almost all beaches are public, not only in Thailand. However, Thailand benefits so much from foreign tourism that about doubled in a decade only, so TAT should immediately fully compensate in a case like this, which is not self-inflicted due to wrong behavior by for example disregarding warnings, or red flags. How much is 300,000 baht of a tourism revenue on more than $53 billion in 2017 – that's around 1,700 billion baht (1,700,000,000,000) – bad reputation runs so much faster than the good ones; especially when shared in today's social media...:whistling:

You are out of your mind, it is like if you brake your leg in the alps, so the country you are in, is responsible for you braking your leg? You are outta your mind. 

And how is the situation, if it is correct he did not have legal visa when he was attacked? And therefor insurance company deny paying. 

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You are out of your mind, it is like if you brake your leg in the alps, so the country you are in, is responsible for you braking your leg? You are outta your mind. 

And how is the situation, if it is correct he did not have legal visa when he was attacked? And therefor insurance company deny paying. 

a visa has nothing to do with an insurance company, it has already been stated that he stayed longer than the cover provided, the most I have ever seen an insurance covering (without notifying and paying extra) is 90 days of continuous stay 

and 300k baht is hardly a big pile of money and as soon as he knew the insurance was not going to pay he should have made changes to reduce the cost - like getting out of the hospital as soon as possible.

Just now, smedly said:

a visa has nothing to do with an insurance company, it has already been stated that he stayed longer than the cover provided, the most I have ever seen an insurance covering (without notifying and paying extra) is 90 days of continuous stay 

It is what Bangkok post wrote. Anyway, if it is to long stay due to insurance or visa, he failed. No one is responsible except him!

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

They cannot, why do you think they could ? under what grounds, unless it was a mental health issue he can sign himself out when he wants, like I said it is not a prison

Maybe they are keeping his passport until the bill is paid?

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

and 300k baht is hardly a big pile of money and as soon as he knew the insurance was not going to pay he should have made changes to reduce the cost - like getting out of the hospital as soon as possible.

Plus Thailand is not renowned for shark attacks but feeding the sharks from the temple is likely what cause the sharks to become active so in a round about way the temple is actually responsible for this attack, and Bull Sharks are big and nasty - you don't want them near a beach

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

That is entirely different from leaving the hospital and ending the rip off billing 

16 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I still fail to understand how any Thai could be ashamed for a tourist who didn't have  insurance.

Could or should.

Anyone going to usa and having an accident and no insurance might as well kiss goodbye to life.

Sadly the world is moving to private health where insurance is non negotiable.

What has happened to this gentleman is very sad but thais have no reason whatsoever to feel guilty or any other emotion.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

does he actually need to be sitting in a hospital clocking up the bill, looks like he could be at home to me, there is no special care for someone in a plaster cast - am I missing something

Only reason I could figure is he needs IV antibiotics

7 hours ago, smedly said:

They cannot stop him leaving the hospital - it is not a prison

Unless there are other complications, If it had been me I would have left once it was stitched up and set in plaster. The only other thing I can think of is he is being treated with intravenous antibiotics but even that should be limited to a few days  - how long has he been there now - over two weeks  

Also people can fly with a plaster cast - no problem, he could have been in hospital a few days and flew home to continue his treatment in his home country 

If you leave a Thai hospital without the bill being paid in full or arrangements made to pay the bill you can be arrested and charged with the  "Theft of medical services"

26 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

If you leave a Thai hospital without the bill being paid in full or arrangements made to pay the bill you can be arrested and charged with the  "Theft of medical services"

did you read what you just said, he can leave the hospital when he wants, his passport may be held until he pays the bill, he can from that time inform the hospital that he is going to make arrangements to pay, he will not be forced to remain in the hospital - he may be forced to remain in the country

43 minutes ago, sambum said:

If he was foolish enough to give it to them yes they might. I knew someone in this position and with the help of a lawyer he got the passport back. Unsure what more they can do to hold him, other than making a police complaint and the police  prevent him leaving. A civil case would take time.

It is also worrying that the temple are possibly making an income from people wanting to view the sharks and how do you keep the sharks around ?   by feeding them, which I believe is fundamental to why this attack took place, I hope the authorities have told the temple that anyone caught feeding the sharks will be dealt with severely

An off topic post and a reply have been removed.  

A post linking to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

And where in my comment did you see something your quote disagreed with me????

"...If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public."

:smile:

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Not really, braking a leg when skiing, or whatever one do in the Alps, is a calculated risk. A shark attack is not, when it's not a beach formerly not known for shark attacks; therefore my point in favor of keeping up tourism.

Links:

Shark Attack Data, Thailand:

Date Area Location Activity Incident Type Fatal?  
14 Nov 1966 Area unknown Location unknown   Unprovoked Non-fatal Details
03 Aug 1979 Southern Thailand Location unknown Murdered by Thai pirates Unprovoked Fatal Details
05 Jan 2000 Phang nga Province Phang nga Island Diving Unprovoked Fatal Details
12 Aug 2001 Rayong Province Laem Mae Pim Beach Fell off banana boat Unprovoked Non-fatal Details
01 Sept 2015 Phuket Karon Beach Wading Unprovoked Non-fatal Details

Any shark attacks reported in Thailand?
Q: »In the history of Thailand has there ever been a reported shark attack in the gulf?«

A: »Two proper attacks, neither of them in the Gulf but in the Indian Ocean; so you are much more likely to be killed in a traffic accident, even while diving (google jet ski accident thailand).«

I didn't see anything about expired Visa or overstay in the news – I might have missed it? – but the travel insurance was outdated due to a long travel period, that was quoted in the news article.

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Not really, braking a leg when skiing, or whatever one do in the Alps, is a calculated risk. A shark attack is not, when it's not a beach formerly not known for shark attacks; therefore my point in favor of keeping up tourism.

Links:

Shark Attack Data, Thailand:

Date Area Location Activity Incident Type Fatal?  
14 Nov 1966 Area unknown Location unknown   Unprovoked Non-fatal Details
03 Aug 1979 Southern Thailand Location unknown Murdered by Thai pirates Unprovoked Fatal Details
05 Jan 2000 Phang nga Province Phang nga Island Diving Unprovoked Fatal Details
12 Aug 2001 Rayong Province Laem Mae Pim Beach Fell off banana boat Unprovoked Non-fatal Details
01 Sept 2015 Phuket Karon Beach Wading Unprovoked Non-fatal Details

Any shark attacks reported in Thailand?
Q: »In the history of Thailand has there ever been a reported shark attack in the gulf?«

A: »Two proper attacks, neither of them in the Gulf but in the Indian Ocean; so you are much more likely to be killed in a traffic accident, even while diving (google jet ski accident thailand).«

I didn't see anything about expired Visa or overstay in the news – I might have missed it? – but the travel insurance was outdated due to a long travel period, that was quoted in the news article.

I thought I could post a link or a short qoute using my own wording, but it was deleted. If hou google you should find it in b k k p o s t news in the end of the article from 29 april

9 hours ago, smedly said:

They cannot stop him leaving the hospital - it is not a prison

Unless there are other complications, If it had been me I would have left once it was stitched up and set in plaster. The only other thing I can think of is he is being treated with intravenous antibiotics but even that should be limited to a few days  - how long has he been there now - over two weeks  

Also people can fly with a plaster cast - no problem, he could have been in hospital a few days and flew home to continue his treatment in his home country 

Leaving the hospital is the same as leaving a hotel without paying the bill..

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

Looks like he didn´t have any insurance then, so it´s time to stop talk about it like it existed but experied. That is same like no have.

Not saying that he shouldn´t have compensation and help paying the hospital bills though. If a country have a beach they offer to the public, it´s their job to provide safety for the public.

Apart from having netted swimming areas how do protect people who are swimming in the open sea ?

Unfortunately it’s one of the risks you take.

I may be wrong but suspect it’s not a problem in his home country.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Apart from having netted swimming areas how do protect people who are swimming in the open sea ?

Unfortunately it’s one of the risks you take.

I may be wrong but suspect it’s not a problem in his home country.

I don´t have to think about that. You can´t protect all, only do as much as possible. That was not done here.
If on unknown water, that a risk you take out of pure stupidity.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I don´t have to think about that. You can´t protect all, only do as much as possible. That was not done here.

My point exactly.

7 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I wouldn't have thought that the waters round Hua Hin were exactly "unknown"!

32 minutes ago, sambum said:

I wouldn't have thought that the waters round Hua Hin were exactly "unknown"!

Waters without protection in form of net, that are in a place where a person is not familiar with the water or what might be inside it, is called unknown.
That is the first you get to learn in an education for lifeguards. It´s same like you can live by the same river all your life, but if you do not know how deep it is you should refrain from diving, right?

What do you mean with unknown waters? Is that only place where people not been yet? Time to learn what you are speaking about. You just made a very silly comment without any ground in facts.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Waters without protection in form of net, that are in a place where a person is not familiar with the water or what might be inside it, is called unknown.
That is the first you get to learn in an education for lifeguards. It´s same like you can live by the same river all your life, but if you do not know how deep it is you should refrain from diving, right?

What do you mean with unknown waters? Is that only place where people not been yet? Time to learn what you are speaking about. You just made a very silly comment without any ground in facts.

"Time to learn what you are speaking about. You just made a very silly comment without any ground in facts"

And I know why you are a "Very Irritating Member" - you seem to make a habit of demeaning and insulting people.

I wouldn't have thought that it was unreasonable to NOT expect to be bitten by a Bull Shark in the waters off Hua Hin, considering the number of shark attacks there over the years? Hmmm?

Archived