Frenchman stabbed to death by Thai at Bangkok guest house after intervening in argument

webfact

16 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

'We are all just visitors'... eeer No. Some of us live here permanent.

Regardless of whether you live temporarly or permanently here, you will always will be a guest/visitor. Without citizenship, which has seldom been given out in recent times,  you are a nobody. You cannot own land and all the impotant status jobs are reserved for Thai nationals. Even if you have "permanent residency" its a small step above a regular "guest/visitor" visa with few privileges ... you still can't own land and have a status job.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ekkamai said:

I think there is an undelying problem here, which is much more worrying. Negative attitude towards foreigners - be it expats or just tourists. 

Sadly I think that you have a very valid point. That, plus the jealousy among many Thai men that Thai women prefer Farangs.

Certainly amongst a high proportion of divorced/seperated/abandoned Thai women, this is often stated a "I don't like Thai man"

But it's Thai women (mothers) who teach their male offsprings that they are superior beings. 

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i know its in a western guys make-up to intervene, but this is the outcome, rip french guy, i wonder what the outcome of this will be, dont even ask. got to be premeditated murder in my book, but it will be *sorry, i was drunk* stock answer.

Where are there brains, they just have not got any

Just now, over2you said:

Sadly I think that you have a very valid point. That, plus the jealousy among many Thai men that Thai women prefer Farangs.

Certainly amongst a high proportion of divorced/seperated/abandoned Thai women, this is often stated a "I don't like Thai man"

But it's Thai women (mothers) who teach their male offsprings that they are superior beings. 

Yep,

They go to the Foreigner to be treated as an equal and with respect and then teach their sons to be spoilt horrible humans like their birth father.

Shouldn't have got involved, both of them. If the idiot wasn't peeing on your feet, your drink or your face, leave it. If you can't stomach the sight of someone peeing in public, leave and go to a more agreeable place. All these first-world farangs should understand their first-world rules don't apply in a third-world place like here. Stop expecting the Thais to think, act and behave like you. They don't.

14 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Regardless of whether you live temporarly or permanently here, you will always will be a guest/visitor. Without citizenship, which has seldom been given out in recent times,  you are a nobody. You cannot own land and all the impotant status jobs are reserved for Thai nationals. Even if you have "permanent residency" its a small step above a regular "guest/visitor" visa with few privileges ... you still can't own land and have a status job.

If you do manage to obtain citizenship it won't make any difference to a drunk with a knife. He won't make any enguiry into your status prior to stabbing you.

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i know its in a western guys make-up to intervene, but this is the outcome, rip french guy, i wonder what the outcome of this will be, dont even ask. got to be premeditated murder in my book, but it will be *sorry, i was drunk* stock answer.

what is the name of the guesthouse...???

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you do manage to obtain citizenship it won't make any difference to a drunk with a knife. He won't make any enguiry into your status prior to stabbing you.

So true. Then again its unlikely that someone who is smart enough to get a Thai citezenship would be stupid enough to mess around with a drunk  pissing in a drain, 2 am in the morning ... (smile).

1 hour ago, Docno said:

People saying the victim made a mistake to get involved. But in this instance, it was his friend involved in the argument with the Thai. What kind of friend would you be just to stand idly by and not try to do something. I know I wouldn't be able to just stand there and do nothing...

In this case your little wings could come in handy on your way to heaven?It would be you who is dead.Worth it?

Some hookers tried to have me murdered one night on the main road outside Sukhumvit bar area for my refusal of them to go with me to the nearest ATM and empty out my account. They had hold of me, and when I broke away they screamed, in Thai, something like "farang trying to steal my handbag." Within a few minutes there were 20+ Thais running toward me, so I took off only to be cut off by a car in driveway. I ran into a nearby off street big carpark and hid under light truck above the diff under the tray. The mob scoured the car park for over an hour looking for me. Sometimes you really have to stay right away from them, as far as you can, especially late at night.

2 hours ago, lanista said:

Thais go to prison for up to 2 years if they dont pay around 8 -10,000 b for killing a soi dog.

The Thai probably has access to money otherwise he woudnt be drinking in a farang  area.

If he has  some money he should be able to post bail for killing a 'drunk farang'.  (it'll be his excuse)

Up to him if he wants to flee back to Nakorn Nowhere province.

A soi dog is far more important  than a farang in Thailand because it was born here and could be the re encarntion of a Thai's uncle or mother. 

No money...then  maybe some prison time...post bail ?   sawadi  !

Thanks for your valuable insight. Now please crawl back under your rock. 

20 minutes ago, jvs said:

In this case your little wings could come in handy on your way to heaven?It would be you who is dead.Worth it?

Sure - and you would turn your back on a friend and walk away? Or just stand by and watch? Or how about taking a video to increase your viewership on YouTube. Your friends are really lucky to have you by their side... 

1 hour ago, Docno said:

People saying the victim made a mistake to get involved. But in this instance, it was his friend involved in the argument with the Thai. What kind of friend would you be just to stand idly by and not try to do something. I know I wouldn't be able to just stand there and do nothing...

Lets get the facts right.  The Thai drunk was taking a piss in the drain (most probably no where else to go at 2 am)  and harming noone. Then came up this self righteous foreigner mouthing off.  The friend could have stood where he was and beckoned his friend to stop harassing the drunk and walk away. But no, he wanted to join in the fun. Most probably he had been drinking too and fancied the odds of 2 against one drunk. Sorry, no innocent victims here. 

11 minutes ago, ersl said:

Some hookers tried to have me murdered one night on the main road outside Sukhumvit bar area for my refusal of them to go with me to the nearest ATM and empty out my account. They had hold of me, and when I broke away they screamed, in Thai, something like "farang trying to steal my handbag." Within a few minutes there were 20+ Thais running toward me, so I took off only to be cut off by a car in driveway. I ran into a nearby off street big carpark and hid under light truck above the diff under the tray. The mob scoured the car park for over an hour looking for me. Sometimes you really have to stay right away from them, as far as you can, especially late at night.

Pack dog mentality. Without going into the finer details i had a similar experience when a bkk taxi driver became irate with me and started accusing me of made up lies. Within seconds the taxi was surrounded by onlookers. It felt very intimidating to say the least and one or two of them verbally sided with the taxi driver. Luckily i was fine but it was touch and go for a few seconds. All made up lies and yet they immediately backed their own. A very tribal experience, all things considered.

Just now, Docno said:

Sure - and you would turn your back on a friend and walk away? Or just stand by and watch? Or how about taking a video to increase your viewership on YouTube. Your friends are really lucky to have you by their side... 

I can do without friends who get into fights at 2 AM with drunken Thais .

A one on one fight , so, leave them to it

28 minutes ago, free123 said:

to argue with drunken people and try to tell them how to behave is never a good idea...it usually ends in violance and not only in thailand pretty much everywhere

Some foreigners here seem to believe it's an insult when another foreigner in a mall says hello to him. 

5 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Lets get the facts right.  The Thai drunk was taking a piss in the drain (most probably no where else to go at 2 am)  and harming noone. Then came up this self righteous foreigner mouthing off.  The friend could have stood where he was and beckoned his friend to stop harassing the drunk and walk away. But no, he wanted to join in the fun. Most probably he had been drinking too and fancied the odds of 2 against one drunk. Sorry, no innocent victims here. 

Unfortunately, alcohol makes some people to a Superman without the needed powers. 

The guy who didn't get stabbed will go home.

The courtroom farce will play out.

The family of the deceased will go home.

The Thai will pay to be released.

Cops/judges/prison officers all get paid and are happy. That's what they became cops/judges/prison officers for.

(It is possible step 4 will occur before steps 1, 2 and 3 if "Peh" is connected enough.)

4 minutes ago, hobbo said:

alcohol does not change people, it brings out what is already there! 

Yes, but it also makes people believe that they are strong, but if you can't walk you shouldn't fight. 

A Thai person -whether drunk or not- if seen pising in a canal or o the street would never have been approached by another Thai.  People might snicker to themselves but walk on.  The Frenchman attempted to intervene for whatever reason His mate then tries to stop it all.  By this time- the Thai is irate and apparently leaves the scene. Why did they both not leave at this point.  Why  say anything at all to the Thai man?

People who are drinking cannot be reasoned with and once irate -they lose all sense of right and wrong- they are out of control. A man is dead for no real reason.  Contrary to people on this board- the Thai will most likely get a sentence of around 20 years in prison.  There will be no bail.

In the many decades I have spent in Thailand- I have seen hundreds of arguments; Thais in fights; foreigners in fights with Thais or each other- never once did I attempt to intervene as I  know it would resolve nothing and most likely up the stakes. In several instances- I simply called the police. They do respond... There is a lot of difference in involvement in a life threatening situation versus a confrontation between 2 people or a local pissing in the wind.

26 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Didn't realise you had inside information. Perhaps you were there? Where does it say that the victim "joined the fun", as you say? Where does it say that his intervention was violent or even one of taking sides? If you actually read the piece, it says that the victim tried to stop the argument. But given the description--such that it is--it seems just as likely (if not more) that the victim tried to step in and separate the men or cool things down, etc. Nothing in there about the two Europeans ganging up on the Thai. Of course, there is a fine tradition of blaming the victim in these forums, so your view doesn't surprise me.  

YES...dont get involved. It is so much in the western culture to do so. In my 20 years in Thailand I have seen many altercations and have tried to keep my distance and cool at all times.

Yes, like others I will lend a helping hand if needed, but in the heat of a situation it is usually best to 'wait and see the outcome'

Archived