Frenchman stabbed to death by Thai at Bangkok guest house after intervening in argument

webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had a dollar for everytime I saw a thai man taking a pee either on the side of a road or in the street i would be rich!  it's in their culture. and a westerner should not pretend to be shocked. even the women squat now and then!

29 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

A Thai person -whether drunk or not- if seen pising in a canal or o the street would never have been approached by another Thai.  People might snicker to themselves but walk on.  The Frenchman attempted to intervene for whatever reason His mate then tries to stop it all.  By this time- the Thai is irate and apparently leaves the scene. Why did they both not leave at this point.  Why  say anything at all to the Thai man?

People who are drinking cannot be reasoned with and once irate -they lose all sense of right and wrong- they are out of control. A man is dead for no real reason.  Contrary to people on this board- the Thai will most likely get a sentence of around 20 years in prison.  There will be no bail.

In the many decades I have spent in Thailand- I have seen hundreds of arguments; Thais in fights; foreigners in fights with Thais or each other- never once did I attempt to intervene as I  know it would resolve nothing and most likely up the stakes. In several instances- I simply called the police. They do respond... There is a lot of difference in involvement in a life threatening situation versus a confrontation between 2 people or a local pissing in the wind.

Kudos to you for calling the BIB, however I wouldn't as it's perhaps inviting even more trouble I really don't need.

1 hour ago, Docno said:

Sure - and you would turn your back on a friend and walk away? Or just stand by and watch? Or how about taking a video to increase your viewership on YouTube. Your friends are really lucky to have you by their side... 

So i am talking to a dead man now.I would have grabbed my stupid friend and pull him away and tell him to mind his own business.Would i offer my life because of the stupid action of a friend?People like that would not be my friend in the first place.Yes i have knocked a friend of a barstool one time in Pattaya,probably saved his life and mine!!Not a friend anymore!

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

I have trained in Thai gyms for the last 10 years, I have drank on WS and the 6, and I have never had a problem with a Thai. Why? Because I treat them with respect. However, I have had Farangs and Indians run their mouths with me. Hilarious really - legs wide apart, hands by their sides, whilst their jaws wagged incessantly.:laugh:

I only ever saw one other farang at the gym I used to use; and he only swam whereas I used the gym. Some ladies from our mobaan used to work out there and nod or ask if family OK. Most people were there to train and like you, I treat people with respect.

Only problems I had was with some pissed up British idiot trying to scam money from me with the old "my wife went back to the hotel with my wallet - can you lend me xxx" routine. The two bar girls he had draped over him were giggling away. He got mouthy of course when I declined. Prat. 

Go and tell a drunk not to piss in the street in any country risks getting a violent response. And things can and do escalate quickly especially if someone starts using profanities. 

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Rule#2 is if someone wants to piss in a canal at 2am... let them.

or should you feel the urgent need to intervene,
a good slab on the back ;-) 
well done mate,
errr,
where's he gone ?

My experiences here since early nineties give me the impression that more and more people in general and including a lot of the expats who have arrived in the last few years are much more likely to show self importance attitudes. I feel that the 'fun' has gone in many aspects of life here. 

You can call me a BOF if you like but the bar scene starting losing it's 'laugh side' a good few years ago. Many more guys who sit drinking for 3 or 4 hours and start getting the 'what are you looking at' attitude, all nationalities included.

I go to one bar and it's not a girlie bar maybe once a week for a couple of hours in the afternoon when my wife decides it's hoover, mop clean the whole house and it even gets now and then one or two who just look miserable with no sense of humour, mind you I have seen their wives.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

And let somebody get stabbed to death?

no - but remember that the appropriate level of violence in Thailand is the level sufficient to incapacitate your target and call the police. dont't intervene if you are not willing to incapacitate the opponent or if - much worse - you would like a "fair fight". no such thing here.

More disfunction and untreated mental illness walking the streets untamed and its getting worse.

Actually you so right! I’ve seen crazy folk “losing it” on buses in Bangkok ! And aggressive behaviour from those wandering the streets! The thin veneer is cracking , it’s a mile wide and an inch deep. Violence is the release !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

FACE FACE FACE - the biggest concept westerners need to fully grasp to live safely in Thailand and many other Asian/Oriental countries.  Being on the receiving end of criticism is a direct threat to 'face', and often ignites this type of disproportionate violent response.

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Rule #1 - DON'T GET INVOLVED.

Yes but.......  Interfere in an argument, NO.  But if someone is in real danger of being seriously harmed or worse then who would stand by and do nothing?  Yes in Thailand you see it all the time but as a farang, I believe we have a different view.  At least I hope we do.

Alcohol doesn't change people, it only brings out the real person........ In vino veritas..... In this case another Thai kracker......

I disagree, I drunk a lot while going out and had a couple of near misses.. stopped drinking 6 y ago and I can tell you I wouldn’t do many of the things I did back then. I don’t think/feel I locked “the real me” away during the past 6y.
Maybe the French guys also consumed some alcohol? 2am..I cannot imagine somebody sober would start argueing with a drunk pissing guy (whatever the nationality)

1 hour ago, luk AJ said:

I disagree, I drunk a lot while going out and had a couple of near misses.. stopped drinking 6 y ago and I can tell you I wouldn’t do many of the things I did back then. I don’t think/feel I locked “the real me” away during the past 6y.
Maybe the French guys also consumed some alcohol? 2am..I cannot imagine somebody sober would start argueing with a drunk pissing guy (whatever the nationality)

The same with me, I was also on prescription medications though which doubled the insanity. People who say alcohol brings out the real you, don't understand neuroscience and how alcohol affects the brain and body. 

The inconsistencies of the journalists are atrocious. The nationalities, the location street names, the sub-district.. All different.. Did the Thai urinate in a drain or canal? Each of 3 articles paint a varying story.. At least they got the Flapping Duck right.. Sorry to be critical but journalists need to check their facts before going to press.. 

RIP to Leo the French or Swiss national unfortunately slain.. 

12 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i know its in a western guys make-up to intervene, but this is the outcome, rip french guy, i wonder what the outcome of this will be, dont even ask. got to be premeditated murder in my book, but it will be *sorry, i was drunk* stock answer.

2000 baht fine, a wai to the coffin and 48hours in a temple.  We will see.

yep, journalists are a breed unto themselves, the only difference between a hedgehog and a journalist that have been run over, is that there are skid marks in front of the hedgehog.

The whole thing is a tragedy, fuelled by too much beer and too much misunderstanding. The Thai guy probably couldn't understand a word they were saying and the first guy just couldn't let it go, ditch/drain/klong, he wasn't p-ing in the guys lap !! crazy stuff from the word go.

Archived