Frenchman stabbed to death by Thai at Bangkok guest house after intervening in argument

webfact

7 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

yep, journalists are a breed unto themselves, the only difference between a hedgehog and a journalist that have been run over, is that there are skid marks in front of the hedgehog.

The whole thing is a tragedy, fuelled by too much beer and too much misunderstanding. The Thai guy probably couldn't understand a word they were saying and the first guy just couldn't let it go, ditch/drain/klong, he wasn't p-ing in the guys lap !! crazy stuff from the word go.

There are good journalists and bad journalists just like every other profession. Would you prefer to get all your information from rumours, word of mouth and random nonsense posted on Facebook or youtube? I suppose you prefer being blissfully unaware that there even was a murder in Banglampoo? I suppose you prefer just sticking with your own assumptions about this case and making up your own theories? I suppose you prefer living in a world where you just believe what the government tells you and you keep your mouth shut? Why did you even bother reading this story?

The details of this case have been inconsistently reported and from that you extrapolate that all journalists are useless. Ridiculous!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, charmonman said:

There are good journalists and bad journalists just like every other profession. Would you prefer to get all your information from rumours, word of mouth and random nonsense posted on Facebook or youtube? I suppose you prefer being blissfully unaware that there even was a murder in Banglampoo? I suppose you prefer just sticking with your own assumptions about this case and making up your own theories? I suppose you prefer living in a world where you just believe what the government tells you and you keep your mouth shut? Why did you even bother reading this story?

The details of this case have been inconsistently reported and from that you extrapolate that all journalists are useless. Ridiculous!

nope, i get my low opinion of journalists from experience and reading lots of news, I'm sure there are some good ones out there somewhere, methinks you are misguided sir, I am the reader, surely it is the job of the journalist to not obtain all his information from the sources you have listed and to check the consistency of what is being reported before it is put in front of us, so if you are a journalist yourself, hurry on up as happy hour will be over soon.

I'm sort of ashamed to say that i've had many many black out drunk nights in Thailand in the past where i've done many stupid things. I shake my head when I read this because I know at any point this could easily have been me on the giving or receiving end of some nastiness. I would never grab a knife during my worst moments but I sure as hell would fight someone.

This is a huge reason why I quit drinking.

I don't think this sort of stuff is just about Thais though. People do incredibly stupid things while under the influence. Just look at all the late night after hours fights that happen when places start doing last call.

With that being said if you're just passing by and dealing with a belligerent drunk JUST LET THEM BE and remove yourself from the scene as soon as possible and don't engage them at all, mock them, or mess around in any way.

10 hours ago, lanista said:

Thais go to prison for up to 2 years if they dont pay around 8 -10,000 b for killing a soi dog.

The Thai probably has access to money otherwise he woudnt be drinking in a farang  area.

If he has  some money he should be able to post bail for killing a 'drunk farang'.  (it'll be his excuse)

Up to him if he wants to flee back to Nakorn Nowhere province.

A soi dog is far more important  than a farang in Thailand because it was born here and could be the re encarntion of a Thai's uncle or mother. 

No money...then  maybe some prison time...post bail ?   sawadi  !

Probably his money source was his 'girlfriend' hanging around in a farang bar. It is not unusual that a guy lives off the girlfriend selling her body to farangs, and humiliation (deserved) accumulated to the point of this eruption after getting drunk. Not to excuse him but to see why it happened. RIP,  Leo.

2 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

The same with me, I was also on prescription medications though which doubled the insanity. People who say alcohol brings out the real you, don't understand neuroscience and how alcohol affects the brain and body. 

So true. 

17 hours ago, JaVaCa said:

How alcohol can change people. Rest in peace Frenchman!

Alcohole trigers “criminal mind” that is already exist in those people. They just don’t show who or what they are until alcohole uncover it. ?

6 hours ago, The Theory said:

Alcohole trigers “criminal mind” that is already exist in those people. They just don’t show who or what they are until alcohole uncover it. ?

This is completely untrue. Most former alcoholics who get help do just fine and live very good lives away from substance abuse. Alcoholism is a disease pure and simple. Some people naturally do not react very well at all with alcohol. It's like any other person with an addiction.

AFRICASIAEURO - For those who are all out smart - and have eaten their ' Thai wisdom ' on a first, second or even third-holiday visit.

I say this, and I won't ever forget the wise words of my Korean Sabomnim Ki Young Song: 'His brother a 7th Dan Taekwondo teacher back in the seventies, when stepping out on Ploenchit road at night, trying to end a scuffle between 2 Thais in a good-willed fashion, attacked even though he was a martial arts instructor, pinned down and killed with a knife near the entrance of his Dojo'. I have sparred with many Thais (tournament) and saw my best pal knocked out brutally by aThai boxer. I saw many fights between Thais when I lived in Phrakanong and elsewhere. 

I know what is in their mind, I also know the true sentiment behind the smile. I also know the French and their stupidity, especially those in Khao San Phra Arthit area. Smoking dope is only one of it. Watched Thai boxing matches in Rachadamnoen between American biceps and a Thaiboxer ( needless to say who was virtually destroyed). Let me say this : Be polite, wai and stay away, whatever the case. None of us is physically capable of handling any assault. You are not liked, but tolerated when you are kind, polite - and pay up. Still Thailand will have many beautiful things to offer for the one who knows how to do about it.

1 hour ago, Restinpeace said:

This is completely untrue. Most former alcoholics who get help do just fine and live very good lives away from substance abuse. Alcoholism is a disease pure and simple. Some people naturally do not react very well at all with alcohol. It's like any other person with an addiction.

I guess you need to go back and read again what I wrote. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:01 PM, Bluespunk said:

Rule#2 is if someone wants to piss in a canal at 2am... let them.

Well if it's a canal, no biggie (as disgusting as it is), although the canals here are already revolting without being urinated in anyway. As long as the person who decides to pee doesn't infringe on my personal property or rights, then I would ignore them.

Many farang have this irritating habit of getting involved in the affairs of strangers.

I don't mind strangers (usually farang) starting up a conversation with me (in fact, I now find this habit to be rather enlightening as far too few farang even acknowledge their fellow farang in Thailand) but if you start interfering in my personal affairs in a public place telling me what to do or not to do, that's where I draw the line. I also can't understand the rationale or mentality behind farang who like to get involved in other people's affairs. Do they feel they are invincible or something?

10 hours ago, africasiaeuro said:

AFRICASIAEURO - For those who are all out smart - and have eaten their ' Thai wisdom ' on a first, second or even third-holiday visit.

I say this, and I won't ever forget the wise words of my Korean Sabomnim Ki Young Song: 'His brother a 7th Dan Taekwondo teacher back in the seventies, when stepping out on Ploenchit road at night, trying to end a scuffle between 2 Thais in a good-willed fashion, attacked even though he was a martial arts instructor, pinned down and killed with a knife near the entrance of his Dojo'. I have sparred with many Thais (tournament) and saw my best pal knocked out brutally by aThai boxer. I saw many fights between Thais when I lived in Phrakanong and elsewhere. 

I know what is in their mind, I also know the true sentiment behind the smile. I also know the French and their stupidity, especially those in Khao San Phra Arthit area. Smoking dope is only one of it. Watched Thai boxing matches in Rachadamnoen between American biceps and a Thaiboxer ( needless to say who was virtually destroyed). Let me say this : Be polite, wai and stay away, whatever the case. None of us is physically capable of handling any assault. You are not liked, but tolerated when you are kind, polite - and pay up. Still Thailand will have many beautiful things to offer for the one who knows how to do about it.

Excellent words of advice but I disagree that farang or foreigners in general are not well liked. You will be well liked if you behave yourself and are respectful. If you pick a fight that's when you won't be liked.

People don't generally hate or dislike people for no reason, just on the basis of skin color. Sure, some do, but for the vast majority, they don't care about unchangeable things like your country of origin or skin color. Even groups that tend to be discriminated more than others in Thailand such as those of African or Indian descent are not despised if they are just minding their own business and haven't done anything wrong.

RIP for the young guy that got murdered and this is Thailand and for my point of view I always look away and kept my nose clean. Party with Thai friends they are until they start to get very drunk then it is time to find an excuse to go away back home.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, Megasin1 said:

nope, i get my low opinion of journalists from experience and reading lots of news, I'm sure there are some good ones out there somewhere, methinks you are misguided sir, I am the reader, surely it is the job of the journalist to not obtain all his information from the sources you have listed and to check the consistency of what is being reported before it is put in front of us, so if you are a journalist yourself, hurry on up as happy hour will be over soon.

I am not a journalist. I studied journalism for a short time but decided to pursue a different profession where I could actually make a decent living.  They may prefer to drink during happy hour as they are not generally paid very well.

I am suspicious of people who broadly insult journalists and journalism because it is a favourite theme of dictators and fascists. Professional journalism and a free press are their enemies. 

13 hours ago, jimster said:

Excellent words of advice but I disagree that farang or foreigners in general are not well liked. 

You can disagree and Ill call a spade a spade: A large segment of the Thai population dislike foreigners. 

7 hours ago, morrobay said:

You can disagree and Ill call a spade a spade: A large segment of the Thai population dislike foreigners. 

For no reason and minding their own business? I am not doubting some Thais dislike foreigners, no questions about that it's like any other country no group of people think identically on any issue, particularly in this globalized era. On the other hand, where's your proof that a large segment of Thais dislike foreigners? As I pointed out already, Indians and Africans are less favored in Thai society, while farang are tolerated and even liked quite well.

I happen to speak and read/write perfect Thai and I have little reason to assume that a large segment of Thais hate foreigners for no reason whatsoever. I am always treated with respect and courtesy - occasionally I get police officers at checkpoints who ask me interesting questions and never have I been pulled over and harassed, ever.

Sometimes there's indifference but that's not the same as hostility. If I'm treated with indifference by some unmotivated shopkeeper or something, the next Thai person after me will be too.

On 03/05/2018 at 7:55 PM, manarak said:

no - but remember that the appropriate level of violence in Thailand is the level sufficient to incapacitate your target and call the police. dont't intervene if you are not willing to incapacitate the opponent or if - much worse - you would like a "fair fight". no such thing here.

Yes it is comforting to know when you get beat or assaulted anywhere but thailand it will be done in a fair and reasonable way.

Some might say your comment is utter twaddle but I can only marvel at the mind that created it

56 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Yes it is comforting to know when you get beat or assaulted anywhere but thailand it will be done in a fair and reasonable way.

Some might say your comment is utter twaddle but I can only marvel at the mind that created it

the point was - in Thailand, be sure to incapacitate the opponent if intervening in a fight.

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

LOL. Assaults almost anywhere in the world are increasingly done in a cowardly fashion by multiple people pouncing on one individual. There may be a greater chance of a 1 on 1 fight in a western country, but not necessarily. Whether it's in Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, China etc. the outcome is always the same - Thailand is not unique in this respect.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:08 AM, riverhigh said:
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, Ramdas said:

The worst part is that Thai people get away with everything in the book of justice and naturally the police being biased allow another useless being get away with a murder.. Dangerous place this is.. I’m so scared how vulnerable we are here ?

Relax. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not stupid enough to get on your high horse and start mouthing off at a drunken person taking a piss in a sewer drain. Any country can be dangerous for stupid arrogant people who look for trouble.

Yep just look at Botswana ................. Kazakstan ................... Albania ................... and Honduras

The old WHAT ABOUT ________________ DEFLECTION. A favorite on Thai visa and Thailand. Yes this is about Thailand and Thai culture and your own personal safety, but hey who wants to talk about that ?  :thumbsup: Give the killer a 1000 Baht fine, then reduce sentence to a week and get him back on the street. The "Land Of Smiles" gotta love it.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:59 PM, JaVaCa said:

How alcohol can change people. Rest in peace Frenchman!

You can say that again, I got bumped into in Pattaya the other night by a farang and as our shoulders bumped into each other on the narrow footpath, we turned, I said sorry, was with my wife and 4 kids, pretty busy place, we are from the bush, where we love it, but hey, a weeks holiday in Pattaya for the kids right.

What do you reckon this preek then did, came towards me throwing punches, naturally I started blocking them and back side stepping and just when I was about to throw one at him, not that I wanted to in front of the kids, he fell ass over tit, so I put my hand out and helped him up, he then realised it was me, the guy that bumped into him accidentally, or he bumped into me, who knows, then he starts again, until two of his mates finally came to his aid, but not before he fell over again, amazing what those low round house sweeps can do to drunks....

23 hours ago, morrobay said:

Yeah I have to agree that it's definitely not an unpopular sentiment. There are a lot of Thais I know who have confided with me in private over the years about their distaste for most farang and misc other foreigners in general. These opinions weren't coming from tuk tuk drivers or anything either but regular middle class to upper middle class thais.

The current regime most definitely does not like foreigners as a matter of public policy but they do like the tourist cash. So they are trying to strike a balance there.

Archived