Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Thaivisa exclusive: Hua Hin shark attack victim said insurance gave him the green light to go to expensive hospital

Recommended Posts

Thaivisa exclusive: Hua Hin shark attack victim said insurance gave him the green light to go to expensive hospital

 

ct_20180502041711612.jpg

Werner Danielsen pictured in Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin earlier this month

 

Thaivisa have contacted the Norwegian man who was attacked by a bull shark off Sai Noi Beach, Hua Hin last month.

 

Werner Danielsen, 54, told how he was assured by his insurance company that they would pay only for them to change their minds four days later after he racked up a 300,000 baht bill. 

 

That was for just four days at Hua Hin Bangkok Hospital.

 

But he had nothing but praise for the Thai people who helped him, the doctors and the reaction of the authorities.

 

Werner was speaking Thursday evening from Khon Kaen where he is still recovering from his ordeal after the bite on his left leg on April 15th. 

 

He left hospital in Khon Kaen three days ago but still needs to have the wound cleaned every few days to safeguard against the possibility of infection.

 

He said that he was with some children at the beach and went out to some rocks. He then jumped in and was swimming about 100 meters offshore when he felt something go for his leg three times.

 

He didn't see what attacked him in the murky water but he managed to get to the shore where Thai people rushed him to hospital.

 

He said that he was mindful that an expensive hospital in Hua Hin would cost him a lot of money and was prepared to go to a cheaper hospital if necessary.

 

But after his insurance company assured him over the phone that everything was okay he decided to go to Hua Hin Bangkok Hospital.

 

He described the treatment and the doctors and nurses as excellent but four days later his insurance company made contact and said they could not cover the bill. 

 

It was reported in the Thai media that he had been away too long and the policy had expired.

 

"I wouldn't have gone to that hospital if I had known," he said resignedly.

 

Now he hopes that representations made on his behalf by the deputy governor of Prajuab Khirikhan might give him some financial assistance.

 

Kindhearted Werner, who runs a home for runaway and problem children back in Norway, is not bitter about his experience and is ambivalent about getting financial help. 

 

If he does that is good, if not never mind.

 

He praised the Thai people who helped him at the beach and the Thai authorities for their actions adding:

 

"I am not the kind of person that bashes Thailand".

 

He said that his girlfriend Amonrat Phaengnga, 43, had been a tower of strength and has sorted out everything for him.

 

The couple are not actually married as has been reported in the media but Werner said that he considers himself married in his heart.

 

Amonrat lives in Khon Kaen, where she looks after family members, preferring not to live with Werner in Norway. But he makes visits to Thailand as regularly as he can.

 

He said that his visa has been extended and he is due to leave before the 16th of June giving him plenty of time to recover from his ordeal that has been top of the news in Thailand for several weeks.  

 

Signs have now been erected at Sai Noi Beach as the authorities mull what further action should be taken.

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

But after his insurance company assured him over the phone that everything was okay he decided to go to Hua Hin Bangkok Hospital.

 

He described the treatment and the doctors and nurses as excellent but four days later his insurance company made contact and said they could not cover the bill. 

Reneging on a promised bill payment after four days of treatment is a nasty thing to do. I am a little surprised the hospital didn't get written confirmation of the insurance cover, which they normally like to do when expensive treatment is needed. I am glad he is recovering well. He sounds like a nice guy, who I am sure will be using a different insurance company in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a nice guy and very positive.  Though would appear that his insurance was invalid on this occasion, hence the insurance company not paying out.  It is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Seems like a nice guy and very positive.  Though would appear that his insurance was invalid on this occasion, hence the insurance company not paying out.  It is what it is.

 

How come the insurance company gives the green light for him to go to Bangkok hospital then?

I smell something rotten here.lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hellstens said:

How come the insurance company gives the green light for him to go to Bangkok hospital then?

I smell something rotten here.lol

Who knows? Clerical error, maybe.  But if you read the story, this guy's insurance was definitely invalid. 

 

Anyway, would it make much difference if the insurance company had not given the green light in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Who knows? Clerical error, maybe.  But if you read the story, this guy's insurance was definitely invalid. 

 

Anyway, would it make much difference if the insurance company had not given the green light in the first place?

I believe it would have made a considerable difference. After all, he is quoted in the story as saying, "that he was mindful that an expensive hospital in Hua Hin would cost him a lot of money and was prepared to go to a cheaper hospital if necessary." So if your insurance company says you are all good and to go for it, and then turn around when you are 300K down already which could have been 10-20% of that, to say sorry, we aren't paying, I personally would be more than a little pissed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, darksidedog said:

I believe it would have made a considerable difference. After all, he is quoted in the story as saying, "that he was mindful that an expensive hospital in Hua Hin would cost him a lot of money and was prepared to go to a cheaper hospital if necessary." So if your insurance company says you are all good and to go for it, and then turn around when you are 300K down already which could have been 10-20% of that, to say sorry, we aren't paying, I personally would be more than a little pissed off.

Call me cynical, but surely the onus is on the policy holder to know whether their insurance is valid [out of date] or not.  I certainly do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, hellstens said:

How come the insurance company gives the green light for him to go to Bangkok hospital then?

I smell something rotten here.lol

Maybe he didn't get the green light specifically, so far there's only his word for that.  You could be right about something rotten going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hellstens said:

How come the insurance company gives the green light for him to go to Bangkok hospital then?

I smell something rotten here.lol

Maybe he didn't tell them exactly how long he had been in Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Call me cynical, but surely the onus is on the policy holder to know whether their insurance is valid [out of date] or not.  I certainly do.

Again I reiterate that when an insurance company gives you the green light, as it is alleged they did, you should consider yourself approved to get good treatment. If you make a mistake, you should suffer a consequence when that causes another a financial loss. If the Insurance company originally said you are covered and to go get the treatment, it should not be able to pull out from the financial commitment it has made,especially after a nasty bill has already accrued. Regardless of if they made a mistake with the policy's expiry date, or later found a sub clause exclusion about being away from your home country more than X days. I question again though, why the hospital didn't get it confirmed before allowing such a bill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Again I reiterate that when an insurance company gives you the green light, as it is alleged they did, you should consider yourself approved to get good treatment. If you make a mistake, you should suffer a consequence when that causes another a financial loss. If the Insurance company originally said you are covered and to go get the treatment, it should not be able to pull out from the financial commitment it has made,especially after a nasty bill has already accrued. Regardless of if they made a mistake with the policy's expiry date, or later found a sub clause exclusion about being away from your home country more than X days. I question again though, why the hospital didn't get it confirmed before allowing such a bill?

Why do you think the insurance company made a mistake. It can be so simple that he called in quickly and just said what insurance he had and if thaat kind of insurance covered what he wanted. Maybe never asked for dates, if the insurance still was active, or even gave his name to the company. Just saying that it´s a possibility. Sure it´s also a possibility that the insurance company gave the wrong information, without checking on their side. I guess I will go with Just Wierd in this case. It seems like the most sensible action to make.

 

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps Thaivisa in all it's journalistic wonderfulness should also be contacting the insurance company for it's side of the story instead of publishing a one-sided report based only on what the "kindhearted" (what?...geez) Norwegian said!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Again I reiterate that when an insurance company gives you the green light, as it is alleged they did, you should consider yourself approved to get good treatment. If you make a mistake, you should suffer a consequence when that causes another a financial loss. If the Insurance company originally said you are covered and to go get the treatment, it should not be able to pull out from the financial commitment it has made,especially after a nasty bill has already accrued. Regardless of if they made a mistake with the policy's expiry date, or later found a sub clause exclusion about being away from your home country more than X days. I question again though, why the hospital didn't get it confirmed before allowing such a bill?
Maybe they won't renew his policy next time.

That happened to me recently. I was insured for up to 1.5 million baht for surgery.
The insurance company gave the go-ahead for laparoscopic surgery for 650K.
The final amount was 600K and they paid without any problems.
When my policy was due for renewal, they threw me out.

Hope he is ok

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if he had read his policy conditions first then he wouldn't be stuck with this over inflated bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Reneging on a promised bill payment after four days of treatment is a nasty thing to do. I am a little surprised the hospital didn't get written confirmation of the insurance cover, which they normally like to do when expensive treatment is needed. I am glad he is recovering well. He sounds like a nice guy, who I am sure will be using a different insurance company in the future.

 

It looks, to me, like he failed to disclose the material fact that he had been holidaying for longer than his policy allowed, and that the initial OK from the insurance company was on the basis that he had stayed within the terms of the policy.  I suspect that once it came to light that he had holidayed too long, they advised that they wouldn't pay.  Seems fair enough to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hellstens said:

How come the insurance company gives the green light for him to go to Bangkok hospital then?

I smell something rotten here.lol

It looks, to me, like he failed to disclose the material fact that he had been holidaying for longer than his policy allowed, and that the initial OK from the insurance company was on the basis that he had stayed within the terms of the policy.  I suspect that once it came to light that he had holidayed too long, they advised that they wouldn't pay.  Seems fair enough to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...