Thaivisa exclusive: Hua Hin shark attack victim said insurance gave him the green light to go to expensive hospital

From the above: However, if this company gave the authorization by saying 'you are covered for xxx amount'  they have just committed their company to payment. 

It is not known that is exactly the words of the company. However, if all countries were co-operating in a universal coverage, all this would be moot, huh?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

From the above: However, if this company gave the authorization by saying 'you are covered for xxx amount'  they have just committed their company to payment. 

It is not known that is exactly the words of the company. However, if all countries were co-operating in a universal coverage, all this would be moot, huh?

That would solve everyone's problems and put insurance companies where they belong-out of business.   There is no reason why each country does not have universal coverage- meaning as a citizen you are covered everywhere you go.  The majority of people pay taxes during their lifetime to their Passport country be it the US; UK; Japan etc.  These tax dollars should be used to provide things like healthcare; education; work training - not just national defence.

Healthcare is a human right- not a privilege for those who can afford it. As citizens of the World, we are being ripped off by healthcare systems that exist solely to make a profit and  insurance companies and the pharmaceutical industry that abets the healthcare systems and forms an unholy alliance. The US, my country of birth, is the worst example of a Healthcare system that is overpriced; doesn't work properly; bankrupts its citizens and is mostly inefficient.

The whole World's healthcare issues could be solved if the countries of the World sat down and worked out a reasonable and responsible system- but they won't because money and greed rule-and people will continue to die needlessly.

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The whole World's healthcare issues could be solved if the countries of the World sat down and worked out a reasonable and responsible system- but they won't because money and greed rule-and people will continue to die needlessly.

Very noble, but in the meantime I want to be covered by my travel insurance for when I'm splattered all over a Thai road.  As long as I stick to the contract then I'm covered rather than all the crap I'm hearing on this thread.

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

<snip>

Wow!

That would solve everyone's problems and put insurance companies where they belong-out of business.   There is no reason why each country does not have universal coverage- meaning as a citizen you are covered everywhere you go.  The majority of people pay taxes during their lifetime to their Passport country be it the US; UK; Japan etc.  These tax dollars should be used to provide things like healthcare; education; work training - not just national defence.

Healthcare is a human right- not a privilege for those who can afford it. As citizens of the World, we are being ripped off by healthcare systems that exist solely to make a profit and  insurance companies and the pharmaceutical industry that abets the healthcare systems and forms an unholy alliance. The US, my country of birth, is the worst example of a Healthcare system that is overpriced; doesn't work properly; bankrupts its citizens and is mostly inefficient.

Health care is not a human right.

Do you really believe anyone, anywhere should get whatever care they want, anywhere the want ate any time, courtesy of the taxpayers?

You sound like a tax recipient...

A tax recipient?  Hardly but I have paid plenty over the years and hundreds of thousands in insurance premiums and hospital bills and actually worked for Insurance.

.  I will say it again- healthcare is  human right- People have a right to life under the United Nations Charter and most countries Constitutions and even English Common Law.  Since when does saving someone' life become a privilege?  I'm not referring to going to a doctor for things that are manageable through other means- the common cold; allergies etc.  I'm talking about life threatening situations; catastrophic illness which threaten one's life,

Once people start believing that Healthcare is a right and not a privilege- they will realize that insurance companies- Big Pharma- Profit making hospitals exist for only one reason- to make money off the suffering of another.  Why should Governments exist paid for by your taxes if they provide no service to their people?  Should not a tax paying citizen expect that their Government will at least attempt to save their life?

You can  snicker all you want; laugh at the proposition of universal healthcare; and say it is impossible-  Insurance Companies will love you along with For Profit Hospitals and the drug makers and they will continue to laugh at you all the way to the bank. 

Can I change any of this- no- but at least I know when I am getting ripped off.

Well OK I just want to know whether the countries of the world will sit down and get together to solve the issue of universal transportable health coverage before or after they get together to solve the issue of world peace.

A tax recipient?  Hardly but I have paid plenty over the years and hundreds of thousands in insurance premiums and hospital bills and actually worked for Insurance.

.  I will say it again- healthcare is  human right- People have a right to life under the United Nations Charter and most countries Constitutions and even English Common Law.  Since when does saving someone' life become a privilege?  I'm not referring to going to a doctor for things that are manageable through other means- the common cold; allergies etc.  I'm talking about life threatening situations; catastrophic illness which threaten one's life,

Once people start believing that Healthcare is a right and not a privilege- they will realize that insurance companies- Big Pharma- Profit making hospitals exist for only one reason- to make money off the suffering of another.  Why should Governments exist paid for by your taxes if they provide no service to their people?  Should not a tax paying citizen expect that their Government will at least attempt to save their life?

You can  snicker all you want; laugh at the proposition of universal healthcare; and say it is impossible-  Insurance Companies will love you along with For Profit Hospitals and the drug makers and they will continue to laugh at you all the way to the bank. 

Right to life? So if I die, my family can sue the government?

The federal government exists to provide services? So they know better than I do how I want my money spent.

You guys crack me up.

21 hours ago, hellstens said:

How come the insurance company gives the green light for him to go to Bangkok hospital then?

I smell something rotten here.lol

He should have gone to the Hua Hin government hospital. Its just as good and very much cheaper

The United Nations will solve World Peace before they ever agree to universal health care simply because most Governments could care less about the welfare of the average citizen . Their existence is for themselves to propagate useless and bloated defense budgets and regulations that  favor people themselves- the wealthy and connected.

Trust The Government to spend tax revenue wisely?  There are libraries filled with documented evidence that most Governments are incompetent and exist simply to propagate themselves. One might want to refresh themselves by reading their countries Constitution or Common Law which sets out what Governments are really supposed to do.   Most start out with the words-  "We, the People"-    Guess what?-  that's us and We , the People are supposed to be the ones Governments are establish to protect and provide for-  not the other way around.

14 minutes ago, gamini said:

He should have gone to the Hua Hin government hospital. Its just as good and very much cheaper

No, he went to the best possible hospital under the impression he would be paid out.  Not buying his nonsense story either.  Seems a nice enough bloke, though.

The United Nations will solve World Peace before they ever agree to universal health care simply because most Governments could care less about the welfare of the average citizen . Their existence is for themselves to propagate useless and bloated defense budgets and regulations that  favor people themselves- the wealthy and connected.

Trust The Government to spend tax revenue wisely?  There are libraries filled with documented evidence that most Governments are incompetent and exist simply to propagate themselves. One might want to refresh themselves by reading their countries Constitution or Common Law which sets out what Governments are really supposed to do.   Most start out with the words-  "We, the People"-    Guess what?-  that's us and We , the People are supposed to be the ones Governments are establish to protect and provide for-  not the other way around.

And you want the to run health care...that’s hilarious.

21 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

Who knows? Clerical error, maybe.  But if you read the story, this guy's insurance was definitely invalid. 

Anyway, would it make much difference if the insurance company had not given the green light in the first place?

HE SAYS she says NO ONE KNOWS.....He should have got the Insurance company to put it in writing even as an sms.....or something using LINE

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And you want the to run health care...that’s hilarious.

Thaidream is, erm, dreaming and getting slightly tedious now.  Same old argument and going in circles, 'I was a loss adjustor' etc.  Yawn. 

There are so many side ways reactions and over dramatizing of the OP, that the Mods should shut this rubbish down.

It don't make sense to keep talking about this mistake. The gentleman's being taken care of and just needs to pay his bill like the rest of us would have too. Hope he is on the mend.

18 hours ago, petedk said:

Maybe they won't renew his policy next time.

That happened to me recently. I was insured for up to 1.5 million baht for surgery.
The insurance company gave the go-ahead for laparoscopic surgery for 650K.
The final amount was 600K and they paid without any problems.
When my policy was due for renewal, they threw me out.

Hope he is ok

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That’s the problem with yearly health cover, I had the same, when you get sick or costly they are not obligated to renew it. I have a 15 year contract now cand throw me out.

On 03/05/2018 at 9:47 PM, GuiseppeD said:

Call me cynical, but surely the onus is on the policy holder to know whether their insurance is valid [out of date] or not.  I certainly do.

Yes someone he spoke to (in the office) also did not check whether the policy was expired or still in force. Perhaps an easy mistake to make then. Nevertheless , when one takes out a policy and pays for it, knowing how long a stay it is valid for should be at the forefront of his consideration, and taking out a policy of sufficient duration is his responsibility. If he extended his stay..... again his responsibility to extend his insurance. Lucky he didn't lose his foot!

Well according to the BP the gent is now at the Srinigarind Hospital in Khon Kaen so he must have worked out some arrangement with the BKK Hospital in Hua Hin or he wouldn't have been allowed to transfer to KK.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes someone he spoke to (in the office) also did not check whether the policy was expired or still in force. Perhaps an easy mistake to make then. Nevertheless , when one takes out a policy and pays for it, knowing how long a stay it is valid for should be at the forefront of his consideration, and taking out a policy of sufficient duration is his responsibility. If he extended his stay..... again his responsibility to extend his insurance. Lucky he didn't lose his foot!

No, most likely the mistake was that he was on a trip longer than allowed under policy conditions. There for the someone in the office could not know that, until he declared himself how long his trip was.

Says he visits Thaland frequently and this time has been here more than 90 days.......sounds like he is a runaway from the runaway home he allegedly runs in Norway.  (used run 3 times in 1 sentence!)

Yeah, he’s ha a good run running a well-run home for runaways, although he may be over-run with work by the time he gets back.

55 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, most likely the mistake was that he was on a trip longer than allowed under policy conditions. There for the someone in the office could not know that, until he declared himself how long his trip was.

Im surprised this have to be explained over and over again and again. No wonder so many experience when shit happens, they are not insured. 

8 hours ago, chocdee120 said:

That’s the problem with yearly health cover, I had the same, when you get sick or costly they are not obligated to renew it. I have a 15 year contract now cand throw me out.

Curious as to what's a 15 year contract that they can't throw you out?

I have the guaranteed renewal, however I'm aware they can make the fees so high I'll choose not to renew.

16 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I'm wondering where they're going to build the big campfire so all the world leader's can sit around it singing Kumbaya 

Archived