British man in Pattaya killed himself after amassing huge debts supporting Thai wife

webfact

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lingba said:

why kill yourself?....geez...dump her and move on...and I am not being insensitive...these guys need to grow up emotionally

I am inclined to agree with you, but many guys here have no emotional support here when things go haywire. A Lifeline type service is needed here. 

11 minutes ago, Bangkokfunny said:

My crystal ball foresees a Norwegian falling from a Pattaya balcony in the future... 

Maybe your crystal ball needs new batteries!  More likely a fall from an Oslo balcony as she has moved to Norway! :smile:

24 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well he met her in a bar in Pattaya so it is very unlikely she was anywhere near his age.  Married within a month?  Yep sounds about right.  Bled him dry? Yep that sounds about right too.  Once the money runs out she moves on to the next farang mug?  So far all perfectly normal behaviour.  Yet another sad story of gullible foreigners falling for the Pattaya curse, although it happens all over Thailand.

For those of us who have found good partners in Thailand, we should count ourselves very lucky....  I know I do!

Bully for you.

1 hour ago, NeoDinosaw said:

He was quoting what the bargirl said or wrote -  Unfortunately he omitted the quotation marks. He knew what he was doing .............

Although he got a bit carried away with the "I reply" bit .

3 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

I am inclined to agree with you, but many guys here have no emotional support here when things go haywire. A Lifeline type service is needed here. 

I agree with that but try telling a newbie farang that the new "love of his life" is only interested in his money?  You can only help those who want to be helped.  When your head is buried that deep in the sand then all we can hope for is that they find their way to the Thai Visa Website and all of the cynical b*ggers who reside here.  Then we can really spoil their dream! :crying:

3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Yeah you never find good time gold diggers anywhere in the world but thailand.

Seriously the guy met a woman less than half his age, in a bar , where she worked as a prostitute???

He married her a month later.

Dreadful he committed suicide but I would ask the question...would he marry a woman from Wales who was a prostitute? Probably no .

I believe the expression is caveat emptor

He might if the Wales prostitute was gorgeous and young and seductive and 1500 baht. 

RIP taff but seriously what a sad story. Sounds like he got royally out of his depth playing the white Knight.

I wonder what more he had to lose. House rented, business left to rot. Had a decent pension and a new life to look forward. 

Is there not a basis that his wife would lose a pension by being married to him if they got divorced?

Widowers pension?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Would his Wife still be entitled to a pension (if they were still married) ?

No reason for her not to receive a widow’s pension.

If such an occupational widows pension did exist, he may have nominated her - if not she is legally entitled by marriage......... you can only have one widow, and ONLY a widow (or nominated partner) can benefit.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Would his Wife still be entitled to a pension (if they were still married) ?

Would probably depend on whether the marriage was registered with the British Embassy in Bangkok.  However in Norway the pension is about triple what she would have got so a much better prospect for her to go for the Norwegian.

Also are widowers pensions paid out with suicides?  She would have probably needed to get the police to put it down as an accidental fall

Just now, Jip99 said:

No reason for her not to receive a widow’s pension.

If such an occupational widows pension did exist, he may have nominated her - if not she is legally entitled by marriage......... you can only have one widow, and ONLY a widow (or nominated partner) can benefit.

So, had his divorce gone through (a few days later) , she would have lost "her" pension ?

Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm

6 hours ago, Lingba said:

why kill yourself?....geez...dump her and move on...and I am not being insensitive...these guys need to grow up emotionally

These girls know how to grind you  down in small incremental steps.  Bit by bit they'll catch you like the  adage of the frog that doesn't  jump out of the water when its brought to  boil slowly.. They all seem low maintenance at first & with these over sexed cuties it hard temptation  to resist for some. 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

So, had his divorce gone through (a few days later) , she would have lost "her" pension ?

Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm

Yes, unless she didn’t declare the divorce....... easy enough to do from a Thailand.

A clear thinking man would, in anticipation of divorce, advise said event to pension provider and removed her as beneficiary ..... not so easily done in this case perhaps.

6 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Depression is a killer. RIP:sad:

"When the Reaper confronts you - kick him in the balls. Then he may say 'just testing kid!'."

Those causing the depression are z Killers?

13 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Yes, unless she didn’t declare the divorce....... easy enough to do from a Thailand.

A clear thinking man would, in anticipation of divorce, advise said event to pension provider and removed her as beneficiary ..... not so easily done in this case perhaps.

If she was about to lose her pension , once the divorce had gone through today , there could be some foul play here .

What would have happened about the money he owed , had the divorce gone though ?

Would his Wife have been liable to pay half the debt or would she have lost whatever the money was spent on (car , business etc) or has the debt died with him ?

His divorce was going through, he still had his pension and a new woman , seems an odd time to kill himself

6 hours ago, Orac said:

Sad to see but there are many more out there who get into a spiral of depression and can’t focus on a clear way out.

Interesting point in this story is that he was concerned a corrupt Thai judges were going to conspire to take everything from him but the story makes pretty clear that he had nothing but debts?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

He may may have thought that he owned 50% of what his money had been spent on...

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Not me. That’s 2 of us.

3 hours ago, transam said:

I don't......

Or me, so that's 3 & I'm more than happy :thumbsup:

Not sure how this multi quote thingy works and I think I cocked it up, never mind, hopefully you will get the drift :jap:

I am sorry but did not read the hole answers about this Man`s very sad story.

I Wonder do She have to pay the deths now after he died, they are still married. and I Guess he tok loans on the Apartment and the car in Khon Kaen. 

Do She have to pay the loans ?

She should !!!!!

This make me angry, praying on a persons god will / love is not Nice !!!!

I just needed to say.

My warm regards to his Family. 68 is to soon still have many good calm years ahead

8 hours ago, Lingba said:

With significant debt and seeing no way out of it, just how does he move on???? People are far to glib at ignoring the mental health issues that may result from the stress and anxiety that may have built up in the poor sod. Just hope you don't get yourself in some like type situation and have some schmuck throwing insults at you.

Archived